• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: F5 Dave Yesterday, 19:09 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: Autech Today, 06:03 Go to last post
    dangerous

older riders surviving badly

Thread Starter: dangerous

... this has been on my mind a bit of late, more so the last week with the 2nd funeral of a friend on Saturday, earlier in the year was a very dear friend at 49yrs old, hers was avery freak acco... last week a van turned in front of a friend... 48yrs... Now Im 50 and I know I have passed my "best...

Last Post By: SPman Yesterday, 15:59 Go to last post
    rastuscat

Psychology of road safety

Thread Starter: rastuscat

For those who have too much time on their hands. Interesting thoughts on road safety. And the arguments as to why driver education isn't the golden egg it's made out to be. Pete

Last Post By: jellywrestler Yesterday, 20:31 Go to last post
  • 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

This event is coming to you from The NZ Distance Riders and is a rebranded and expanded event from what was the C1KC (Capital 1,000Km Cruise). We have a website here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/ and Facebook page: NZ Distance Riders.

We are now introducing a northern event out of Hamilton on the same day and that has freed us up to set routes that are more focused on the enjoying the roads on offer in either the Upper Middle or Lower Nth Island, so this year, like all good hobbits from Middle Earth, we are venturing back into the east. (More on that in the thread below)

The 1KC is an informal ride for all riders from hardened endurance riding veterans to those barely off restricted. For North Islanders that thought the North Island 1600 might be fun but want something a bit easier first, or the Iron Butts that just want a decent daylight ride....and it's all for a good cause, Muscular Dystrophy.

We try to choose flowy routes that are a blend of easy riding with some of our favourite wee fangs. This year's offerings should provide another pleasant wee pootle, hopefully with maybe a couple of new roads to some.

The $20 is required at time of registration please and we have to order the badges, so these can’t be guaranteed for entries received after 20/10/14. Account details will be supplied on application.

As per previous years, Ride Instructions and a Briefing will be emailed the week before the event.

PS: The money raised for the MDA goes towards a fund that is used to buy presents for children with muscular dystrophy. Many thanks to all those riders that have tried the ride, and if you don’t want to ride, feel free to donate anyway.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise started by KoroJ View original post
    Comments 335 Comments
      Toymotor -
      Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
      I used the Garmin Mapsource software to map the route.

Saved as a .gdb file

However This software lets me save as other file types such as .gpx

What file type is compatible with your phone?

I could email you a copy.

Cheers
      Pete
      I know .gpx files are compatible with a lot of the apps, I just haven't tried using them yet haha. yeh flick us a copy, cheers.
      Toymotor -
      Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
      I can't for the life of me see why anyone would need a gps for this ride.
      The route is straight forward, but you could take a few wrong turns around the Wharepapa south area, but that's your neck of the woods anyway. Just makes the whole day streamlined or so one would hope.

Got the gopro and phone mounted and powered through the bike, so the phone is a duel purpose device really to control cam and be a gps, more the former than the latter, but it's nice having both.
      eldog -
      I can't for the life of me see why anyone would need a gps for this ride. There's really one road from Te puke, Whakatane, round the coast and back to Rotorua. But each to their own I guess.
      good for those of us who get lost going to the shops on the corner. and those who need to be reminded about stopping - rather than just riding on and on.
      Can program in other stops that may be just off the beaten track, like the wharf at Tokomaru bay
      P38 -
      I can't for the life of me see why anyone would need a gps for this ride. There's really one road from Te puke, Whakatane, round the coast and back to Rotorua. But each to their own I guess.
      Simply because I can

2 Fuel stops at BP Opotiki, one on the way out and one on the way back.

Cheers
      Pete
      Toymotor -
      Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
      Simply because I can

2 Fuel stops at BP Opotiki, one on the way out and one on the way back.
      According to Google street view the BP on Bridge street went bye byes some time between feb'10-mar'13. Unless your going to feed the bully up by cramming footlongs into the gas tank
      awa355 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Toymotor View Post
      The route is straight forward, but you could take a few wrong turns around the Wharepapa south area, but that's your neck of the woods anyway. Just makes the whole day streamlined or so one would hope.

Got the gopro and phone mounted and powered through the bike, so the phone is a duel purpose device really to control cam and be a gps, more the former than the latter, but it's nice having both.
      I tried the gopro ph app but found the image and numbers too hard to read while on the move. I have a remote but rarely use it. I carry two batteries and find I can record up to 2hr 20min on 1 battery using the 720 x 25 fps mode and the wireless function switched off.
      caspernz -
      Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
      I dont have a fuel tanker or fuel sipper for a bike, so for lots of sllow corners, I have to be mindful of fuel availability.
      Yep fair call. My preference is for the supermarket fuel dumps, usually the quickest in-out with pay at pumps. Opotiki is the odd one out there, no supermarket servo. FYI, just use the station finders from the fuel companies to map yourself out a safe range routine that works for your bike, around the route.

Everyone is different I suppose, don't use one myself, but for some the peace of mind knowing they're on the right road helps settle them nerves?

According to Google street view the BP on Bridge street went bye byes some time between feb'10-mar'13. Unless your going to feed the bully up by cramming footlongs into the gas tank
      Just a Caltex on the main road into Opotiki (Bridge St?) and a Z next road over if I recall correctly.
      insomnia01 -
      not long to go now fellas weather looking excellent also Tank up & get on with it
      Toymotor -
      Was doing a little bit of mantinence on the bike and now it blows main fuse. Argh! Hoping like hell to trace it out and fix by Fri.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
      awa355 -
      I walked along Rutene and Ormond st's in Gisborne last night. I see there is a BP on the left of Ormond st, so that will save me going off route to find a gas station. I then jogged out to Ormond and found the CP out there.

Off work from this morning so have three days to mess about with the bike and decide what / what not to take.
      Toymotor -
      Think I found the culprit! Phew.
      Toymotor -
      I walked along Rutene and Ormond st's in Gisborne last night. I see there is a BP on the left of Ormond st, so that will save me going off route to find a gas station. I then jogged out to Ormond and found the CP out there.
      What you doing out there, your a few days early
      caspernz -
      Think I found the culprit! Phew.
      Better to have that happen at home base than in the boondocks
      Toymotor -
      Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
      Too bloody right! The wire has been rubbing against some metal where fuse box is held to. If i hadn't of taken off and replaced side cover to have a closer look a the coolant overflow bottle I would have been none the wiser to the imminent problem.. Might have a read up on this problem to see if it's common on this bike. As seems like a bit of a design flaw, having exposed wires in close proximity to metal edges
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
      that's what happened to me on this ride last year, stator/regulator/rectifier & battery all fried on the side of the road @ 650km into it Could take the ZX14 but Bluey & I have unfinished busy with the 1KC
      awa355 -
      I have excelled myself today. Tyres checked, plugs checked, air filter checked, Oil changed. Clean and lube the chain tomorrow.

Friday night, explain how much money I will need for gas and how it is too late to pull out now.
      eldog -
      explain how much money I will need for gas and how it is too late to pull out now.
      Havent you been given the housekeeping money this week?

there would be a few people who have thought in the past its too late to pull out now

Bike is in pieces, just a few. as last weeks ride showed up things that I hadn't noticed before.
      Scheduled for tomorrow now.
      banditrider -
      For the LNI starters: Route 52 to Alfredton (riding up from the South) is in pretty good nick (went through on Sunday) but there are patches of road works/crap on the road on the way into Pahiatua on Mangaone Valley Road. Not sure what Pa Valley Road is like at the moment but last time I was through there the road had plenty of slumps in it going over the little hill.
      insomnia01 -
      I don't know why you would but if you cut going out round the whole cape as suggested
      Doing the Waioeka gorge twice WOULD BE FUN

I would be pretty disappointed in anyone not doing the full loop around the cape. That would go against all that the challenge is about.
      Check the riders brief for the answer
      awa355 -
      Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
      Doing the Waioeka gorge twice WOULD BE FUN :
      Knowing my luck, I'd be behind a convoy going one way, and it would be pissing down coming back.
  • Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events