• Most Active Threads

onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: onearmedbandit Yesterday, 09:10 Go to last post
    rastuscat

Psychology of road safety

Thread Starter: rastuscat

For those who have too much time on their hands. Interesting thoughts on road safety. And the arguments as to why driver education isn't the golden egg it's made out to be. Pete

Last Post By: F5 Dave Yesterday, 17:39 Go to last post
    SaferRides

Unopened brake fluid shelf life?

Thread Starter: SaferRides

Pretty much what the thread title says. There is a variety of opinions for opened containers, but little info on how long you should keep unopened fluid. I have some that was made in 10/2017 and am hesitant to use it.

Last Post By: F5 Dave Yesterday, 17:44 Go to last post
  • 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

This event is coming to you from The NZ Distance Riders and is a rebranded and expanded event from what was the C1KC (Capital 1,000Km Cruise). We have a website here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/ and Facebook page: NZ Distance Riders.

We are now introducing a northern event out of Hamilton on the same day and that has freed us up to set routes that are more focused on the enjoying the roads on offer in either the Upper Middle or Lower Nth Island, so this year, like all good hobbits from Middle Earth, we are venturing back into the east. (More on that in the thread below)

The 1KC is an informal ride for all riders from hardened endurance riding veterans to those barely off restricted. For North Islanders that thought the North Island 1600 might be fun but want something a bit easier first, or the Iron Butts that just want a decent daylight ride....and it's all for a good cause, Muscular Dystrophy.

We try to choose flowy routes that are a blend of easy riding with some of our favourite wee fangs. This year's offerings should provide another pleasant wee pootle, hopefully with maybe a couple of new roads to some.

The $20 is required at time of registration please and we have to order the badges, so these can’t be guaranteed for entries received after 20/10/14. Account details will be supplied on application.

As per previous years, Ride Instructions and a Briefing will be emailed the week before the event.

PS: The money raised for the MDA goes towards a fund that is used to buy presents for children with muscular dystrophy. Many thanks to all those riders that have tried the ride, and if you don’t want to ride, feel free to donate anyway.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise started by KoroJ View original post
    Comments 335 Comments
      nzspokes -
      Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
      Would you use a camel pack for hydration? Would one last the ride or need filling up?

Could pack a bunch of muesli bars, sandwiches and fruit in your tank bag that you can eat one handed on the road.
      I probably will be but may look for a bladder that will fit in my tank bag.
      FJRider -
      Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
      We are on a small island. 1600ks would mean riding to many roads i know. Boring.
      When you get past the 1200 km mark ... and familiar roads will become a welcome pleasure. Unfamiliar roads in the dark of night can be hard work.
      KoroJ -
      We are on a small island. 1600ks would mean riding to many roads i know. Boring.
      ???....Do you not know many roads? I don't think anyone will get too bored on this year's 1600 offering.

Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
      Would you use a camel pack for hydration? Would one last the ride or need filling up?

Could pack a bunch of muesli bars, sandwiches and fruit in your tank bag that you can eat one handed on the road.
      Some wear camel backs, I tend to carry bottles of water along with small bananas and nut bars. Grazing and swigging at stops is usually enough. There's 5 & 6 CP & 2-4 fuels stops on the 1KC's and 11 CP + whatever fuel on the NI1600. The longest leg would be about 270km but many will break that with a fuel stop. Then there's the issue that what goes in must come out......nothing worse than rocking in for fuel, but having to sprint for the dunny first.

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
      I did 1800 km's in a 24 hour period once.

Quite far enough that day ...
      This was my biggest day...
      http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/en...ms-in-24-hours!

....my bladder probably wouldn't let me now....

I probably will be but may look for a bladder that will fit in my tank bag.
      Yeah, I'd like to put my bladder in a tank bag
      Gremlin -
      Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
      Then there's the issue that what goes in must come out......nothing worse than rocking in for fuel, but having to sprint for the dunny first.
      Learnt a valuable lesson on my first thousand miler. 1pc leather suit and 1pc rain suit, excellent protection both for safety and waterproof...

... and a complete bastard for toilet stops
      awa355 -
      It is a buggar when you drop the overtrousers, unzip, going by feel and sound alone because you can't see past the over jacket, riding jacket, clothing, well conditioned waist, finish, zip up, pull up the over trou and find the front all wet.
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
      It is a buggar when you drop the overtrousers, unzip, going by feel and sound alone because you can't see past the over jacket, riding jacket, clothing, well conditioned waist, finish, zip up, pull up the over trou and find the front all wet.
      OK, This is the type of stuff I was interested in, FJRider might be right with what to get, but I need to be aware of the pitfalls like this.
      caspernz -
      Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
      OK, This is the type of stuff I was interested in, FJRider might be right with what to get, but I need to be aware of the pitfalls like this.
      If you're gonna get really serious, try one of these... http://www.biorelief.com/freedom-mal...coloplast.html and add a bit of garden hose.

But hey, in reality if you moderate your fluid intake the night before you won't need to stop that often for comfort stops. A couple of bottles of water and maybe one sports drink for the second part of the day, couple of protein bars and you're all sweet.
      awa355 -
      The east coast is not going to be short of places for pit stops.

eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
      If you're gonna get really serious, try one of these... http://www.biorelief.com/freedom-mal...coloplast.html and add a bit of garden hose.

But hey, in reality if you moderate your fluid intake the night before you won't need to stop that often for comfort stops. A couple of bottles of water and maybe one sports drink for the second part of the day, couple of protein bars and you're all sweet.
      Advice taken...... About water intake

hate stopping for anything... Apart from photos or looking at the view
      no view in awa's post. Maybe he is opening the gate looking for a short cut
      nzspokes -
      Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
      Then there's the issue that what goes in must come out......nothing worse than rocking in for fuel, but having to sprint for the dunny first.

500 to 700mls and hour. If ya not peeing you are dying.
      FJRider -
      Advice taken...... About water intake

hate stopping for anything... Apart from photos or looking at the view
      no view in awa's post. Maybe he is opening the gate looking for a short cut
      The downside of motorcycling is the riders get dehydrated.

Start your LONG ride pre-dehydrated ... and things WILL go bad.

Regular sips if and when you stop ... and a mini Moro bar (or similar) wont hurt either.

If you start thinking you might need a pee soon ... stop and do it while you have time. Odds are ... when you really DO need to "go" ... there will be nowhere you can ...
      eldog -
      The downside of motorcycling is the riders get dehydrated.

Start your LONG ride pre-dehydrated ... and things WILL go bad.

Regular sips if and when you stop ... and a mini Moro bar (or similar) wont hurt either.

If you start thinking you might need a pee soon ... stop and do it while you have time. Odds are ... when you really DO need to "go" ... there will be nowhere you can ...
      regular sips of 20-50 ml not a problem while underway, got on the supply sorted.

not sure if i need a sports drink, mostly water i guess, sports drink for salt and nutrient loss?
      would a protein/nut bar be better than a Moro or would i get more GO from a Moro
      FJRider -
      regular sips of 20-50 ml not a problem while underway, got on the supply sorted.

not sure if i need a sports drink, mostly water i guess, sports drink for salt and nutrient loss?
      would a protein/nut bar be better than a Moro or would i get more GO from a Moro
      Sugar is energy.

Moro's and the like are too.

I often carry in my tank bag slices of (cold ) Pizza.

A thermos of coffee is a handy addition. You can get a refill at many cafe's / Dairys etc.
      nzspokes -
      Sugar is energy.

Moro's and the like are too.

I often carry in my tank bag slices of (cold ) Pizza.

A thermos of coffee is a handy addition. You can get a refill at many cafe's / Dairys etc.
      If you put them on the rocker cover you would have warm Pizza.
      FJRider -
      If you put them on the rocker cover you would have warm Pizza.
      I have an FJ ... not a honda.

Mine is well faired ... not an option.
      nzspokes -
      I have an FJ ... not a honda.

Mine is well faired ... not an option.
      My Honda is a twin. I can sit a bottle in the Vee and always have hot water for coffee.
      FJRider -
      My Honda is a twin. I can sit a bottle in the Vee and always have hot water for coffee.
      Is it true what they say about honda riders ... ???

I have a thermos ... hot coffee if I don't take too long to drink it ...
      eldog -
      isnt coffee a diuretic?

I remember taking a thermos on a ride and stopping with a young lady for a drink, such fond memories.
      FJRider -
      isnt coffee a diuretic?

I remember taking a thermos on a ride and stopping with a young lady for a drink, such fond memories.
      Take coffee and young ladys ... in moderation.

Or get the young lady to make you a coffee ... either way is a win ...
      eldog -
      Take coffee and young ladys ... in moderation.

Or get the young lady to make you a coffee ... either way is a win ...
      i surprised her by having producing a drink out of nowhere....
      i surprised even myself that day.... normally i wouldnt have even thought about taking something.

a day i will always treasue.
  • Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events