• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: F5 Dave Yesterday, 19:09 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: Autech Today, 06:03 Go to last post
    dangerous

older riders surviving badly

Thread Starter: dangerous

... this has been on my mind a bit of late, more so the last week with the 2nd funeral of a friend on Saturday, earlier in the year was a very dear friend at 49yrs old, hers was avery freak acco... last week a van turned in front of a friend... 48yrs... Now Im 50 and I know I have passed my "best...

Last Post By: SPman Yesterday, 15:59 Go to last post
    SaferRides

Unopened brake fluid shelf life?

Thread Starter: SaferRides

Pretty much what the thread title says. There is a variety of opinions for opened containers, but little info on how long you should keep unopened fluid. I have some that was made in 10/2017 and am hesitant to use it.

Last Post By: SaferRides Yesterday, 06:31 Go to last post
    rastuscat

Psychology of road safety

Thread Starter: rastuscat

For those who have too much time on their hands. Interesting thoughts on road safety. And the arguments as to why driver education isn't the golden egg it's made out to be. Pete

Last Post By: jellywrestler Yesterday, 20:31 Go to last post
  • 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

This event is coming to you from The NZ Distance Riders and is a rebranded and expanded event from what was the C1KC (Capital 1,000Km Cruise). We have a website here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/ and Facebook page: NZ Distance Riders.

We are now introducing a northern event out of Hamilton on the same day and that has freed us up to set routes that are more focused on the enjoying the roads on offer in either the Upper Middle or Lower Nth Island, so this year, like all good hobbits from Middle Earth, we are venturing back into the east. (More on that in the thread below)

The 1KC is an informal ride for all riders from hardened endurance riding veterans to those barely off restricted. For North Islanders that thought the North Island 1600 might be fun but want something a bit easier first, or the Iron Butts that just want a decent daylight ride....and it's all for a good cause, Muscular Dystrophy.

We try to choose flowy routes that are a blend of easy riding with some of our favourite wee fangs. This year's offerings should provide another pleasant wee pootle, hopefully with maybe a couple of new roads to some.

The $20 is required at time of registration please and we have to order the badges, so these can’t be guaranteed for entries received after 20/10/14. Account details will be supplied on application.

As per previous years, Ride Instructions and a Briefing will be emailed the week before the event.

PS: The money raised for the MDA goes towards a fund that is used to buy presents for children with muscular dystrophy. Many thanks to all those riders that have tried the ride, and if you don’t want to ride, feel free to donate anyway.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise started by KoroJ View original post
    Comments 335 Comments
      haydes55 -
      This could be fun. I'm in Hamilton. I have a garage with space for a couple more bikes and couch/floor room. I'll just need to check the speedway calendar to see if I'm actually going to be home that weekend.

Sent from my HTC Desire 310 using Tapatalk
      nzspokes -
      Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
      This could be fun. I'm in Hamilton. I have a garage with space for a couple more bikes and couch/floor room. I'll just need to check the speedway calendar to see if I'm actually going to be home that weekend.

Sent from my HTC Desire 310 using Tapatalk
      Bike on the couch and me on the floor?
      haydes55 -
      Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
      Bike on the couch and me on the floor?
      You're in the garage, your bike can come in the lounge though (if she doesn't leak oil).
      nzspokes -
      Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
      You're in the garage, your bike can come in the lounge though (if she doesn't leak oil).
      No oil leak, but does smell a bit. Need to scrape the last of the possum off from the other night. Tiz a bit cooked on.
      P38 -
      I'm looking forward to this ride too as it will be my first.

Will do the Hamilton start and ride with my Brother in law.

With a range of around 320kms I'm planning on carrying some gas cans in the saddle bags to ensure I can get around east cape without having to worry about gas.

Cheers
      Pete
      MarkH -
      Sounds like an easy cruise - been on a longer ride when I had the 400 Burgman scooter.
      I might be tempted to take the ST1300 on the Hamilton ride, it would only need 2 stops for fuel.
      Gremlin -
      Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
      Got a tailbag (for the pillion seat) that fits a 5 ltr plastic fuel container. Funnily enough I prefer toting 40,000 plus litres in the truck...
      And people used to hassle me for a 18L front tank and 18L rear tank

Haven't checked where the 500-600km mark is, but that's an easy 1 stop fuel strategy
      awa355 -
      Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
      I'm looking forward to this ride too as it will be my first.

Will do the Hamilton start and ride with my Brother in law.

With a range of around 320kms I'm planning on carrying some gas cans in the saddle bags to ensure I can get around east cape without having to worry about gas.

Cheers
      Pete
      I can't see that you will need extra gas. 330 approx k's from Opotiki to Gisborne. Fuel at Waihau Bay 100k in, then 55k to a card pump at Te Araroa, fuel pumps at about 3 other places between there and Gisborne. I talked with the lady at Waihau bay today, she said the store is open from 8-4.
      Most riders would be hitting the East coast road late morning/early afternoon?, I guess.

If the weather is fine it will be a stunning ride.
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
      I can't see that you will need extra gas
      Arthurs famous last words .......... one thing I've learnt on these rides is don't under estimate your fuel mileage particularly heading around the East coast, she's a long way pushing your bike & Waihau Bay, Te Araroa can't be reliable at the times you need it the most looks like a cool day ride
      eldog -
      I suspect like me the magic 300k can be elusive.

I currently don't have the riding time (bike and area) experience to tell if I can make it that far on one tank.
      I don't like leaving to chance 'if' a fuel stop is open.
      Been there on the Northern Odyssey last year. Didn't know the roads, wasn't sure about fuel.
      Glad I carried a little bit of oil.

From my dim and distant past I travelled the East Cape in a car.

I remember spectacular views and lots of slow corners esp nearer Opotiki/Whakatane end.

As I will learn about the bike and the different areas I ride I will begin to figure out how far etc.

I hate stopping for fuel, but will stop for photos and people tailgating me.

I get worried when there's lots of slow corners and time & fuel slip away.... hey I am not fast.

But I need to experience this so I can get confident in my and the bikes capabilities.

Awa if you don't mind a cautious rider tagging along behind - you don't need to worry about me - I will be riding my own ride.
      I just need to plan course, fuel stops etc myself.
      Maha -
      Will be a spare bed at our place for the Fri/Sat nights.

Taxi driver Google shows pumps at Waihau bay, 100k from Opotiki. Waihau bay to Gisborne, 225k.
      All up Opotiki to Gisborne approx 326k.
      Possibly the most expensive fuel in NZ but when you need it you'll pay for it.
      There use to be fuel at Te Puia springs.
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
      Possibly the most expensive fuel in NZ but when you need it you'll pay for it.
      There use to be be fuel at Te Puia springs.
      love it 'used'
      like 'should', 'could' and 'just'

all words I don't like.

yep, need it - pay for it. - felt that way when I was almost stranded at Mangakino

Sorry Maha, I didn't mean any disrespect, any help/suggestions - I am grateful.

Today surrounded by grown adults who are too scared to ask.
      Maha -
      Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
      love it 'used'
      like 'should', 'could' and 'just'

all words I don't like.

yep, need it - pay for it. - felt that way when I was almost stranded at Mangakino

Sorry Maha, I didn't mean any disrespect, any help/suggestions - I am grateful.

Today surrounded by grown adults who are too scared to ask.
      There was a G.A.S. servo there in 08' but being on a CB1300, and we filled up in Gisborne, we didn't need to stop there.

Still there....http://www.gasolinealley.co.nz/
      awa355 -
      Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
      I suspect like me the magic 300k can be elusive.

I currently don't have the riding time (bike and area) experience to tell if I can make it that far on one tank.
      I don't like leaving to chance 'if' a fuel stop is open.

But I need to experience this so I can get confident in my and the bikes capabilities.

Awa if you don't mind a cautious rider tagging along behind - you don't need to worry about me - I will be riding my own ride.
      I just need to plan course, fuel stops etc myself.
      eldog, It would be neat if you could do the ride. I would love to have another small bike for company. A regular riding mate, Phill will also be riding with me. I have not done a 1,000k day ride in one hit, although I have done 890k around this same route many years ago. That was Putaruru-Matamata-Tauranga-East coast-Opotiki-Rotorua-Putaruru on a 400cc with my 13 yr son on the back. Funny thing is, we never looked at it as a 'big' ride, just a long day.

Have just phoned the Te Puia Springs store, they are open 7 days. This stop is about 224k out from Opotiki. I will likely fill at Opotiki, top up at Waihau Bay, Te Puia Springs.

By all means carry extra fuel if it gives peace of mind. My bike does about 220 before reserve and yesterday I had a look at tying a 4L can onto the bike. As Insommnia01 says, it is the east coast and there are no certainties. I think part of the mind games is that the East Coast is one of the few stretches of 300+k's in the North Island without any usual size towns and that creates a sense of riding off into the back of beyond.
      eldog -
      By all means carry extra fuel if it gives peace of mind. My bike does about 220 before reserve and yesterday I had a look at tying a 4L can onto the bike. As Insommnia01 says, it is the east coast and there are no certainties. I think part of the mind games is that the East Coast is one of the few stretches of 300+k's in the North Island without any usual size towns and that creates a sense of riding off into the back of beyond.
      total agreement. We dont have a fuel tanker ala Gremlin, maybe he could wait half way round and give us a fill

I have a mate at work who regularily visits that area, I will ask about conditions. But last time I asked him about an area he visits his story was that it was fully sealed - reality was 20-30 k of gravel.
      nzspokes -
      Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
      Arthurs famous last words .......... one thing I've learnt on these rides is don't under estimate your fuel mileage particularly heading around the East coast, she's a long way pushing your bike & Waihau Bay, Te Araroa can't be reliable at the times you need it the most looks like a cool day ride
      Yes I could see this ending with a push. If i do it i will carry 5L in the panniers. That way I have nothing to worry about.

But then you start to think about how much more fuel you will use carrying extra fuel....
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
      Yes I could see this ending with a push. If i do it i will carry 5L in the panniers. That way I have nothing to worry about.

But then you start to think about how much more fuel you will use carrying extra fuel....
      best to have it & not need it than the opposite I'll most likely fill up everything in Opotiki & throw the spare 5ltr in around Tokomaru or Tolaga Bay for a re-fill in Gisborne, On a clear day the coast is great for a thrash
      awa355 -
      eldog makes it to Gizzy!!

Now, to walk back to Tolaga Bay and push the next bloody bike in.
      eldog -
      eldog makes it to Gizzy!!
      Now, to walk back to Tolaga Bay and push the next bloody bike in.
      notice that you are pushing me is that because you got everyone lost again?
      how did you manage that on the east coast?

I will pack a tow rope to haul your arse to the next fuel stop.
      1billyboy -
      Opotiki, Gisborne, Putaruru for me
  • Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events