• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: HenryDorsetCase Today, 10:00 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: SaferRides Today, 07:26 Go to last post
  • 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

This event is coming to you from The NZ Distance Riders and is a rebranded and expanded event from what was the C1KC (Capital 1,000Km Cruise). We have a website here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/ and Facebook page: NZ Distance Riders.

We are now introducing a northern event out of Hamilton on the same day and that has freed us up to set routes that are more focused on the enjoying the roads on offer in either the Upper Middle or Lower Nth Island, so this year, like all good hobbits from Middle Earth, we are venturing back into the east. (More on that in the thread below)

The 1KC is an informal ride for all riders from hardened endurance riding veterans to those barely off restricted. For North Islanders that thought the North Island 1600 might be fun but want something a bit easier first, or the Iron Butts that just want a decent daylight ride....and it's all for a good cause, Muscular Dystrophy.

We try to choose flowy routes that are a blend of easy riding with some of our favourite wee fangs. This year's offerings should provide another pleasant wee pootle, hopefully with maybe a couple of new roads to some.

The $20 is required at time of registration please and we have to order the badges, so these can’t be guaranteed for entries received after 20/10/14. Account details will be supplied on application.

As per previous years, Ride Instructions and a Briefing will be emailed the week before the event.

PS: The money raised for the MDA goes towards a fund that is used to buy presents for children with muscular dystrophy. Many thanks to all those riders that have tried the ride, and if you don’t want to ride, feel free to donate anyway.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise started by KoroJ View original post
    Comments 335 Comments
      Gremlin -
      Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
      Re the lights, The ride kicks off about 7am. With daylight saving, it will still be pretty much daylight at 7-8pm when the ride will be centre'd around the Waikato / Oto region so I can not see much in the way of night riding out in the boondocks, unless someone is still pushing his bike into the next fuel stop.
      Depends. When the ride was only Wellington based, I left Auckland around 11pm the night before, get to Caltex Rimutaka around 6am, then do the 1000km ride
      KoroJ -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
      Depends. When the ride was only Wellington based, I left Auckland around 11pm the night before, get to Caltex Rimutaka around 6am, then do the 1000km ride
      ....and his eyes looked like pissholes in the snow by the time we stopped in Whanganui on the way home, so that stop got a little extended.
      Gremlin -
      Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
      ....and his eyes looked like pissholes in the snow by the time we stopped in Whanganui on the way home, so that stop got a little extended.
      Haha, I forget which year that was... Meant I was doing around 1600-1700km in 20-21 hrs. I remember you wondering why I was stretching only 200km into the ride... except it was more like 7-800km into the ride.
      eldog -
      I'm quite aware of the light requirements on bikes. I was referring to the adding of additional lights for this ride.
      I was referring to the standard assortment of lights I add to any bike I ride.
      I just haven't had this one that long to have done those mods yet - took the ones off the Scorpio last Tuesday
      I want to mount them in a different position and change the way the light brightness is selected. Coordinate with the High beam.
      Along with mounting so they are in the right place I want it to look good as well.
      I have made some slight alterations to the bike and it is coming along well.
      Not sure about the front tyre pressure - It never seems to warm up, it feels like it doesn't have much grip.
      I think this is slightly too high pressure, haven't had time to have a play, been busy doing other stuff for a few months now.
      The rear seems to be pretty well right.
      I think it is pretty well setup at the moment, could do the 1000k tomorrow, its the rider that needs work and that's just bum on seat.

Its also why I am riding it on training runs as I haven't had much time on it, still getting used to its nuance's.

Just when I seem to get a handle on it, it throws me a surprise.
      Cornering is still in trial basis, The beginning of the East Cape run is lots of slow corners, for me anyway.
      The bike is going in for a major service at the end of the month so I want to get my stuff installed, up and running.
      Gremlin -
      Hey Koro, did you know apparently the PnJ closed as of about two weeks ago? Someone mentioned it to me yesterday...
      insomnia01 -
      Haha, I forget which year that was... Meant I was doing around 1600-1700km in 20-21 hrs. I remember you wondering why I was stretching only 200km into the ride... except it was more like 7-800km into the ride.
      I remember seeing a auxiliry fuel supply system on the KTM on this ride
      Gremlin -
      Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
      I remember seeing a auxiliry fuel supply system on the KTM on this ride
      Indeed, and I've only seen one other plumbed in system (on a bandit? from memory). Ultimately, because it was simple gravity feed it didn't work 100%, sometimes not using it, sometimes using one tank then the other, sometimes continually topping up the main tank...

I stopped short of 3D forming it, and getting someone to make me a custom larger tank. Instead I bought a larger tank installed from factory on a different bike It was the better call (not many turn a supermoto into some continent crossing beast). That said, the last 1600km ride I did on it (I did 3 official ones on it and several other non-official) I do remember averaging 99kph moving (about 16h40m), and an extra hour for stops. That thing loved corners
      awa355 -
      Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
      I was referring to the standard assortment of lights I add to any bike I ride.
      I just haven't had this one that long to have done those mods yet - took the ones off the Scorpio last Tuesday
      I want to mount them in a different position and change the way the light brightness is selected. Coordinate with the High beam.
      Along with mounting so they are in the right place I want it to look good as well.
      I have made some slight alterations to the bike and it is coming along well.
      Not sure about the front tyre pressure - It never seems to warm up, it feels like it doesn't have much grip.
      I think this is slightly too high pressure, haven't had time to have a play, been busy doing other stuff for a few months now.
      The rear seems to be pretty well right.
      I think it is pretty well setup at the moment, could do the 1000k tomorrow, its the rider that needs work and that's just bum on seat.
      I enjoy tinkering as well. Been raining today so I've made one or two adjustments, just about ready for the 1,000k run.

Don't be fooled by the Alabama sign. That's just photoshopped in to fool everybody.
      eldog -
      I enjoy tinkering as well. Been raining today so I've made one or two adjustments, just about ready for the 1,000k run.

Don't be fooled by the Alabama sign. That's just photoshopped in to fool everybody.
      is that a BMW paralever suspension?
      I would suggest you increase the tank size, i dont want to have to tow you the whole way
      seat could be a bit more curved....
      awa355 -
      is that a BMW paralever suspension?
      I would suggest you increase the tank size, i dont want to have to tow you the whole way
      seat could be a bit more curved....
      At least if I break anything on the way round it wont be hard to get a new part. Only tool I could need will be a pair of fencing pliers.
      eldog -
      At least if I break anything on the way round it wont be hard to get a new part. Only tool I could need will be a pair of fencing pliers.
      you could drive the whole bike with a chainsaw, then you would be able to replace the frame as well
      KoroJ -
      Hey Koro, did you know apparently the PnJ closed as of about two weeks ago? Someone mentioned it to me yesterday...
      That's correct. We have discussed alternatives and I need to review how it affects the route.
      haydes55 -
      Indeed, and I've only seen one other plumbed in system (on a bandit? from memory). Ultimately, because it was simple gravity feed it didn't work 100%, sometimes not using it, sometimes using one tank then the other, sometimes continually topping up the main tank...

I stopped short of 3D forming it, and getting someone to make me a custom larger tank. Instead I bought a larger tank installed from factory on a different bike [emoji38] It was the better call (not many turn a supermoto into some continent crossing beast). That said, the last 1600km ride I did on it (I did 3 official ones on it and several other non-official) I do remember averaging 99kph moving (about 16h40m), and an extra hour for stops. That thing loved corners
      My old klx300 had an auxiliary fuel tank under the rear guard. Held enough gas that both tanks could get me about 270km... Both tanks were small.
      eldog -
      Sorted out general bike fuel range and finished second distance goal and navigation tasks.
      i noticed even in the boondocks no cell coverage you aren't really all that far from a house.
      the further out in the country the better the roads are.

For all you distance riders out there - am i better off to ride what I think will be the course (or part thereof) or just anywhere I am not familar with, as long as i plan course, fuel stops so i can be as efficient time wise.
      P38 -
      My current strategy for completing the 1KC is to just turn up and do it Cold Turkey.

Cheers
      Pete
      awa355 -
      Sorted out general bike fuel range and finished second distance goal and navigation tasks.
      i noticed even in the boondocks no cell coverage you aren't really all that far from a house.
      the further out in the country the better the roads are.

For all you distance riders out there - am i better off to ride what I think will be the course (or part thereof) or just anywhere I am not familar with, as long as i plan course, fuel stops so i can be as efficient time wise.
      Don't get too hung up about this particular course. Just get used to doing longer rides in any direction. Find your 'happy' pace and you can knock out any road on the day.
      eldog -
      Don't get too hung up about this particular course. Just get used to doing longer rides in any direction. Find your 'happy' pace and you can knock out any road on the day.
      not hung up about any course, i am just finding its better to do a variety of rides, not just extending the same one.

happy pace is slightly slower than the normal traffic, i just let them thru, most seem happy i do that.

variety can be the spice of life on the road.

just missed being TEE boned last night. I slowed when I had the right of way, should have gassed it, we both slowed 'ESTOP BRAKING' almost took each other out.

planning some longer rides. Just finding doing them on my own is so much more pleasurable.
      insomnia01 -
      just do some longer than usual rides, don't worry about where mix it up cant be that hard, when we get the actual route with nominated photo check points plan your fuel stops/rest stops & we'll see you on the day Enjoy the ride is the most important thing
      nzspokes -
      On the map are the toilets marked?

You know, old man bladder and all?

Or should I set up a hose system. This my effect rear wheel traction.

By the way, may not pay to follow me to close.
      awa355 -
      Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
      On the map are the toilets marked?

You know, old man bladder and all?

Or should I set up a hose system. This my effect rear wheel traction.

By the way, may not pay to follow me to close.
      The perfect solution. You may have to start off as early as you can.
  • Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events

• Poll Widget

LED headlamps and foglamps (Votes: 13)

1. I have no problems with others lights (Votes: 0)

2. I’m constantly blinded by bright lights and hate night driving (Votes: 2)

3. Some newer vehicles are too high intensity lighting (Votes: 5)

4. Just hate poorly adjusted lights (Votes: 8)

5. I’m too busy looking at phone to notice (Votes: 0)

6. I’ve illegally modified my lights and dont care (Votes: 0)

7. I ride around on full beam not caring that people can’t see my indicators (Votes: 0)

8. I’m a bat and just use sonar (Votes: 0)