• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: F5 Dave Today, 09:07 Go to last post
    husaberg

Oddball engines and prototypes

Thread Starter: husaberg

As the title says........

Last Post By: R650R Today, 09:54 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: roogazza Today, 17:53 Go to last post
    Tokerau boy

Is there anybody here ?

Thread Starter: Tokerau boy

It’s very quiet 🤐 , I did read about the motorcycle touring Parts of NZ may add one next month when it stops raining

Last Post By: F5 Dave Yesterday, 20:26 Go to last post
    SaferRides

Michelin tyre shortage

Thread Starter: SaferRides

If you've tried to buy Michelin Road 5 or 6 tyres recently, you probably know that there is a shortage and some sizes are unavailable. I have heard that it could be months before another shipment arrives, so if you might need a new Michelin soon, it could be worth buying one now. Sent from my...

Last Post By: Gremlin Today, 14:26 Go to last post
    rastuscat

Kickstart Your Motorbike Journey in Motorcycle Awareness Month

Thread Starter: rastuscat

22 September at the Air Force Museum, Wigram. 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. A free-entry expo of the newest LAMS bikes from all the brands. And how to progress from no Class 6, to a 6L, then a 6R, and finally to the 6F. The trainers and testers will be on site to answer every question you can dream up,...

Last Post By: R650R Today, 09:30 Go to last post
    Pursang

Cant fall over!

Thread Starter: Pursang

Not sure what to call it...or where to post it...But it is a 2 wheeler!

Last Post By: R650R Today, 09:37 Go to last post
    roogazza

Wsb 2024

Thread Starter: roogazza

If you are hanging out for a Motogp Fix, WSB Assen 2024 this weekend. It's on SKY too. http://www.worldsbk.com/en

Last Post By: R650R Today, 09:44 Go to last post
  • 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

This event is coming to you from The NZ Distance Riders and is a rebranded and expanded event from what was the C1KC (Capital 1,000Km Cruise). We have a website here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/ and Facebook page: NZ Distance Riders.

We are now introducing a northern event out of Hamilton on the same day and that has freed us up to set routes that are more focused on the enjoying the roads on offer in either the Upper Middle or Lower Nth Island, so this year, like all good hobbits from Middle Earth, we are venturing back into the east. (More on that in the thread below)

The 1KC is an informal ride for all riders from hardened endurance riding veterans to those barely off restricted. For North Islanders that thought the North Island 1600 might be fun but want something a bit easier first, or the Iron Butts that just want a decent daylight ride....and it's all for a good cause, Muscular Dystrophy.

We try to choose flowy routes that are a blend of easy riding with some of our favourite wee fangs. This year's offerings should provide another pleasant wee pootle, hopefully with maybe a couple of new roads to some.

The $20 is required at time of registration please and we have to order the badges, so these can’t be guaranteed for entries received after 20/10/14. Account details will be supplied on application.

As per previous years, Ride Instructions and a Briefing will be emailed the week before the event.

PS: The money raised for the MDA goes towards a fund that is used to buy presents for children with muscular dystrophy. Many thanks to all those riders that have tried the ride, and if you don’t want to ride, feel free to donate anyway.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise started by KoroJ View original post
    Comments 335 Comments
      caspernz -
      Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
      On the map are the toilets marked?

You know, old man bladder and all?

Or should I set up a hose system. This my effect rear wheel traction.

By the way, may not pay to follow me to close.
      http://www.dryfella.co.nz/shop/Dryfe...ter+Packs.html

The alfresco method of personal relief works quite well, unless you suffer from stage fright
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
      just do some longer than usual rides, don't worry about where mix it up cant be that hard, Enjoy the ride is the most important thing
      Yep, already onto it , just means no riding during the week. oh well them is the breaks
      Got to do a few more longer rides to get regular (no old man bladder here)

More time for planning the getaways, "just popping down to the shops dear, wont be a mo".
      nzspokes -
      Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post

The alfresco method of personal relief works quite well, unless you suffer from stage fright
      Well more thought, I can run a hose to the tank to give me the extra range. Or run a hose to the headers so i can create smoke for when the Fuzz chase me.
      eldog -
      Well more thought, I can run a hose to the tank to give me the extra range. Or run a hose to the headers so i can create smoke for when the Fuzz chase me.
      I dont need a hose to connect to the tank.

We track you via the smoke and wave at the blue disco lights as we go passed. Theres only 1 road in and out of the east cape unless your taking the KDX.
      caspernz -
      Eat some asparagus the night before then...

Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post

We track you via the smoke and wave at the blue disco lights as we go passed. Theres only 1 road in and out of the east cape unless your taking the KDX.
      So you mean I can't sneak my helicopter into action for a quick lap around East Cape?
      eldog -
      So you mean I can my helicopter into action for a quick lap around East Cape?
      go for it, i will be watching for whales.
      will be a good ride if you have a GoPro

been a while since I have been in a 'copter
      Maha -

The Shewee could come in handy where stage fright is a concern ...http://www.shewee.co.nz/

What bike are you wheeling out for the E-Dog?
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
      What bike are you wheeling out for Eldog?
      We have given him something he never thought he would be riding till he was much older.....
      wheel it in. Here's a pic
      http://hight3ch.com/wp-content/uploa...2/Dolmette.jpg

Awa I have a couple of spare chainsaws so you can repair your bike, while we do the cruise.

Completed a few more short runs this week getting a few more ks in on roads I don't know
      awa355 -
      Long distance clothing.
      For years I wore jeans but found that some brands with the seams of triple stitching and/or rivets on the rear pockets would begin to annoy me after a while.

Some riders swear by cycling shorts, one told me he wears polar fleece type track pants under his bike pants.
      What is your preference?
      Gremlin -
      Cycling shorts most times I'm riding. Thermal longs over that if I'm expecting really cold conditions. Motorbike pants over the top, the current ones have both a waterproof and thermal liner, so either just waterproof, or also the thermal.

Stuff like pant liners you don't really want to be taking in or out during the ride...
      nzspokes -
      If its going to be warm cycling pants are great. The sweat will wick away. Thermals if cold as if they get wet they dry quickly.
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
      Long distance clothing. What is your preference?
      Still not that convinced about denim jeans even if they are Kevlar lined - what happens in wet? do they get damp and heavy.
      From other posts on adventure riding cotton is a real PIA, it remains damp and can lead to Hypothermia - extreme case

My current setup Textiles only it has liners built in - a 3 season riding setup - doesn't like the extremes of cold or heat although it has a LOT of vents
      The inbuilt armour keeps those parts of the body warm too. Mine has the most effective back warmer - It covers a lot of area.
      Cotton Tee shirt (I know, I know I am careful to make sure I don't get too cold->stuffed, I take a spare)
      I am experimenting with Thermal top - never needed them before

Neck tube and Balaclava - more to keep Helmet clean from oily/greasy hair (work related) and keeps the noise down, most noise comes up from under the neck roll.

Gremlin - Stuff like textile liners you don't really want to be taking in or out during the ride... +1 on that
      Wash them when you need to make sure its a gentle wash so any built in protection isn't damaged.
      Which reminds me mine need washing and the bike servicing (after the new lights are wired in)

Socks like Revit ones (Summer and Winter) are great because they can be worn a few days before they become itchy and uncomfortable - they don't take long to dry either

Layers are a great way of keeping the body temp constant

Hand guards and hot (only need slightly warm) grips are a good way of preventing frozen hands when you are travelling in winter and at night - this I know.

Hydration and Energy is probably the most important way of keeping body temp correct.

I did when I was thinking about riding before buying any gear often considered if I wanted one piece or 2 piece gear. Came to the conclusion that although one piece would be better in a race, getting in and out of it would be a PIA when you wanted to make a pitstop or add/remove some gear. So I brought separates.
      Funnily enough I brought the gear on a whim after visiting several bike shops and having a browse online, still not really knowing what I would be doing while riding (adv/offroad/commuting/racing/touring etc) - That same gear is exactly the same gear I would buy now given the same choices and experiences I have had now.

I find a modular helmet with a built in neck roll/chin guard and an height adjustable internal sunvisor is the go for those who want to be able to stop, take pictures, have a natter, while on the road. The sunvisor is great for those days with the sun breaking through the clouds. A Pinlock is good for heavy breathers.

I only have one pair of everything except socks - cant afford it at present, different gloves would be nice for the summer, as winter gloves reduce feel etc.

I recommend buy good gear once you have researched what fits you and your goals.
      The Goretex stuff is nice.

Never tried lycra, cycle pants or divers dry or wet suits - maybe they are similar?
      Tazz -
      snip

The lycra stuff can work pretty well. Comes in different weights I believe. I got given some a year or two ago that I've used a little bit last winter. Anything good like that is really hard to take a piss out of though so I stick to separate pants and tops. Cold killers pants are my go to for the bottom, then polyprop or merino (but they never have tight enough waists and always drop down on me. Wish you could throw a belt through them) the cold killer tops direct the wind to your kidneys though. Horrible.

Cotton is the debbil!
      Just look at what trampers wear, then add a protective layer applicable to bikes for ideas on what might work well for you.

I wear kevlar jeans but not when rain is guaranteed and usually not on multi day trips. They are warmer than you'd think when wet as the kevlar itself is almost like a thermal lining, but they take fucking ages to dry out again which is fine at home but annoying when on the move. Getting 'heavy' isn't an issue.
      They are surprisingly water resistant when new.
      awa355 -
      Was in the red shed today, they had a book sale on. One being Ken Ring's 2015 weather almanac. Being a miserable sod and only needing a guestimate for one day, I flicked through to the 7th Nov, fine and cloudy with light breezes.
      MarkH -
      One being Ken Ring's 2015 weather almanac.
      You should try something with more scientific validity, like reading entrails or something . . .
      eldog -
      Ent-rails is that something from the Lord of the RINGs?..... see what I did there.

Did you look at the traditional fishing calendar as well? we will have time for a spot of that too. Put the lines out on the way out at Opotiki and collect on the way back.....

Awa - I am a don't knock it till you try type of person. But the odd poke in the ribs just to make sure is a good idea
      awa355 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
      You should try something with more scientific validity, like reading entrails or something . . .
      I dont endorse this guys work. Just quoting what he had written. Anyone who can predict spring weather out 12 months ahead to the day, has to be an optimist.
      ruaphu -
      Anyone who can predict spring weather out 12 months ahead to the day, has to be an optimist.

Yep jus like us bikers eh, always looking ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      STJim -
      I sent my registration in today for this ride starting in Hamilton.I'm hoping for a really good turnout this year. It should be a great day.
      awa355 -
      Have just paid up. I hope it shows up at the other end. I had filled the registration form out some time ago, I had to wait to get my leave approved before coughing up the dough.

I have made up a temporary back rest for the Virago. The base lays along the pillion squab and the tank bag sits over the plywood base. It seems to be good at supporting my lower back so I'm not fighting the wind blast by gripping the hand grips tightly for 12 or more hours. A bit primitive compared to the 'electric everything Lazy boy' machines but it is what I've got, so it's what I ride.

• Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events

• Poll Widget

LED headlamps and foglamps (Votes: 14)

1. I have no problems with others lights (Votes: 0)

2. I’m constantly blinded by bright lights and hate night driving (Votes: 2)

3. Some newer vehicles are too high intensity lighting (Votes: 6)

4. Just hate poorly adjusted lights (Votes: 8)

5. I’m too busy looking at phone to notice (Votes: 0)

6. I’ve illegally modified my lights and dont care (Votes: 0)

7. I ride around on full beam not caring that people can’t see my indicators (Votes: 0)

8. I’m a bat and just use sonar (Votes: 0)