• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: F5 Dave Yesterday, 19:09 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: pritch Yesterday, 21:25 Go to last post
    dangerous

older riders surviving badly

Thread Starter: dangerous

... this has been on my mind a bit of late, more so the last week with the 2nd funeral of a friend on Saturday, earlier in the year was a very dear friend at 49yrs old, hers was avery freak acco... last week a van turned in front of a friend... 48yrs... Now Im 50 and I know I have passed my "best...

Last Post By: SPman Yesterday, 15:59 Go to last post
    SaferRides

Unopened brake fluid shelf life?

Thread Starter: SaferRides

Pretty much what the thread title says. There is a variety of opinions for opened containers, but little info on how long you should keep unopened fluid. I have some that was made in 10/2017 and am hesitant to use it.

Last Post By: SaferRides Yesterday, 06:31 Go to last post
    rastuscat

Psychology of road safety

Thread Starter: rastuscat

For those who have too much time on their hands. Interesting thoughts on road safety. And the arguments as to why driver education isn't the golden egg it's made out to be. Pete

Last Post By: jellywrestler Yesterday, 20:31 Go to last post
  • 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

This event is coming to you from The NZ Distance Riders and is a rebranded and expanded event from what was the C1KC (Capital 1,000Km Cruise). We have a website here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/ and Facebook page: NZ Distance Riders.

We are now introducing a northern event out of Hamilton on the same day and that has freed us up to set routes that are more focused on the enjoying the roads on offer in either the Upper Middle or Lower Nth Island, so this year, like all good hobbits from Middle Earth, we are venturing back into the east. (More on that in the thread below)

The 1KC is an informal ride for all riders from hardened endurance riding veterans to those barely off restricted. For North Islanders that thought the North Island 1600 might be fun but want something a bit easier first, or the Iron Butts that just want a decent daylight ride....and it's all for a good cause, Muscular Dystrophy.

We try to choose flowy routes that are a blend of easy riding with some of our favourite wee fangs. This year's offerings should provide another pleasant wee pootle, hopefully with maybe a couple of new roads to some.

The $20 is required at time of registration please and we have to order the badges, so these can’t be guaranteed for entries received after 20/10/14. Account details will be supplied on application.

As per previous years, Ride Instructions and a Briefing will be emailed the week before the event.

PS: The money raised for the MDA goes towards a fund that is used to buy presents for children with muscular dystrophy. Many thanks to all those riders that have tried the ride, and if you don’t want to ride, feel free to donate anyway.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise started by KoroJ View original post
    Comments 335 Comments
      Hitcher -
      Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
      At least with this ride we will get to see a lot of the country in the daylight unlike the 1600

Wonder what sort of photos we have to take?
      are there some instructions of what required?
      Do we have to arrive with a memory card at the end for the officials to check?
      Just thinking do I take a camera or just use a smartphone
      The country is still there at night, just a bit harder to see beyond the confines of one's headlight.
      • You need to take photos of your bike at each prescribed checkpoint. Big, small, b&w or colour, still or moving doesn't matter a jot.
      • Instructions of what and where photos need to be taken will be emailed to registered riders (who have completed and sent in registration forms) prior to the start.
      • You will need to show images to the arrival Marshall. They generally like to see images, rather than a memory card or a roll of film from a Box Brownie.
      • Camera or smartphone are both good, as long as you've got enough battery to take images at each checkpoint, or get a riding partner to take these for you, and have something that the arrival Marshall can see that proves that your bike was at each of the required checkpoints.
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
      The country is still there at night, just a bit harder to see beyond the confines of one's headlight.
      • You need to take photos of your bike at each prescribed checkpoint. Big, small, b&w or colour, still or moving doesn't matter a jot.
      • Instructions of what and where photos need to be taken will be emailed to registered riders (who have completed and sent in registration forms) prior to the start.
      • You will need to show images to the arrival Marshall. They generally like to see images, rather than a memory card or a roll of film from a Box Brownie.
      • Camera or smartphone are both good, as long as you've got enough battery to take images at each checkpoint, or get a riding partner to take these for you, and have something that the arrival Marshall can see that proves that your bike was at each of the required checkpoints.
      Righto, understood, sargent major sah. (I am imagining 'If It anit half hot mum' - accent)
      cup of char? anyone?

would be interesting taking a shot of the bike while its moving and I am on it as we pass the check point would save some time I guess. Anyone tried this?

Just looking forward to it.
      awa355 -
      I'll take my camera and phone. Will take the checkpoint photos with the ph, so all the checkpoints are recorded side by side. Saves searching for them back at the finish. To be honest I doubt that with my small bike, I would have any time to stop for photos anyway. I'll run the gopro for most of the east coast ride as this is country I do not get to ride everyday.
      awa355 -
      Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
      Was in the red shed today, they had a book sale on. One being Ken Ring's 2015 weather almanac. Being a miserable sod and only needing a guestimate for one day, I flicked through to the 7th Nov, fine and cloudy with light breezes.
      Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
      You should try something with more scientific validity, like reading entrails or something . . .
      Long term lookout from the Met service, Cloudy and showers. Mind you, their forecast 10 days ahead is probably on a par with the moon man.
      gsxr -
      If it doesnt rain it will be fine
      MarkH -
      their forecast 10 days ahead is probably on a par with the moon man.
      I have to agree with that one, the amount of times I've seen the forecast change day by day to finally get to that day and find it is nothing like what was originally predicted.
      Just have wet weather gear handy while hoping for the best!
      caspernz -
      Long term lookout from the Met service, Cloudy and showers. Mind you, their forecast 10 days ahead is probably on a par with the moon man.
      Haha, it be a fair bet that covering a thousand clicks in NZ it's gonna be wet in some places. Mind you if it's gonna be wet all around doing a thousand clicks ain't really appealing.

Maybe we can give Ken Ring a call a day or two before the ride......somebody on KB must have him on speed dial?!
      Toymotor -
      Got the email with checkpoint and briefing info, yay not long now Made some directions in google maps for the phone. Comes to 1018km so a slight dependency of 10km from ride instructions, but that I think avoids the toll road, and a couple of short cuts. I don't know why you would but if you cut going out round the whole cape as suggested by google it cuts it down to 1011km. Use this link for navigation at your own risk!

Hamilton 2015 1KC:

https://goo.gl/maps/xdouMkGFvP82 1018 Km

The no fun Hamilton 2015 1KC:

https://goo.gl/maps/T17f9ri6aGo 1011 Km
      awa355 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Toymotor View Post
      Got the email with checkpoint and briefing info, yay not long now Made some directions in google maps for the phone. Comes to 1018km so a slight dependency of 10km from ride instructions, but that I think avoids the toll road, and a couple of short cuts. I don't know why you would but if you cut going out round the whole cape as suggested by google it cuts it down to 1011km.

https://goo.gl/maps/T17f9ri6aGo 1011 Km
      I would be pretty disappointed in anyone not doing the full loop around the cape. That would go against all that the challenge is about. The route is about what I thought it would be. Had a feeling it might go through fuckatani one way and Tanea2a on the return leg. From Oto to Hamilton, there is only 3k difference between going around the Pirongia and Te Awamutu.

Re petrol stops, With a smallish tank, I will carry spare fuel. This will allow me to top up on the roadside between full refills and cut down on the number of times I have to remove the helmet, queue up to pay etc just to top up half a tank.
      Toymotor -
      I would be pretty disappointed in anyone not doing the full loop around the cape.
      The Cape is a ride I've wanted to for a while now, so i'm happy to be able to tick that off the list. I really liked the SH30-Hamurana Rd-Oturoa Rd last time I was down that way, so really glad that's in there, Some good views and a nice stretch of road.

Attachment 316991Attachment 316990
      eldog -
      Had a feeling it might go through fuckatani one way and Tanea2a on the return leg. From Oto to Hamilton, there is only 3k difference between going around the Pirongia and Te Awamutu.
      Yeah we are going thru WhakaTane. would that count? as doing that one

You have got me, as I have no idea about the last leg around Oto to Hamilton, 3k after 1000 wont matter a jot.

I am sure i wont get lost going around the cape, jut avoiding all the alcohol stops LOL while on the way. Getting there and back may be a problem though.
      P38 -
      Mapped the exact route as per the instructions (1,018kms).

Marked the photo stops as waypoints

Uploaded the route to my Zumo 550

Printed up the instructions and photos, just in case the technology fails me.

Packed up the bike with extra fuel containers (2x 5l) to minimise fuel stops

Waterproofed the Jacket and Pants (just in case)

Checked the bike over x2

All set to go

Cheers
      Pete
      eldog -
      The Cape is a ride I've wanted to for a while now, so i'm happy to be able to tick that off the list. Some good views and a nice stretch of road
      Read a magazine who stated there had been several slips around the coast road recently
      Dont remember where exactly but will be good to keep eye open during the ride for road works.

nice boike and pics dude
      Toymotor -
      Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post

Sounds like your all sorted. Going over the map I did there's a couple of differences that i didn't pick up until i looked over it again. Do you use google maps, or something else? I will toy with some different nav apps, as google maps don't have a lot of functionality compared to some others Ive seen, like making way points easier, detours, offline maps without using dev codes.

Edit: Neve rmind a zumos a GPS not a phone!
      caspernz -
      Re petrol stops, With a smallish tank, I will carry spare fuel. This will allow me to top up on the roadside between full refills and cut down on the number of times I have to remove the helmet, queue up to pay etc just to top up half a tank.
      Oh you won't need the servo nonsense that often, my thinking is at Gisborne and Rotorua the Pak N Save fuel stop is the easiest and fastest refuel option. Opotiki is likely the only servo where no pay at pump is in vogue as yet, as far as I know.
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
      Oh you won't need the servo nonsense that often, my thinking is at Gisborne and Rotorua the Pak N Save fuel stop is the easiest and fastest refuel option. Opotiki is likely the only servo where no pay at pump is in vogue as yet, as far as I know.
      I dont have a fuel tanker or fuel sipper for a bike, so for lots of sllow corners, I have to be mindful of fuel availability.
      eldog -

Printed up the instructions and photos, just in case the technology fails me.

Packed up the bike with extra fuel containers (2x 5l) to minimise fuel stops

Waterproofed the Jacket and Pants (just in case)

Checked the bike over x2

All set to go

Cheers
      Pete
      Steruth, you are putting me to shame, but good on ya for being onto it.
      Still a noob when it comes to planning like you have done above, so thanks for the tips (what to do)

Still have to sort fuel, worried about slow corners I remember going that way a long time ago around the cape, but probably worrying about nothing...... better prepared and not need it.

Nah its not going to rain LOL
      if it does it will really slow me down.

Good to get feedback on hown others plan their trips

Got a lot on this week, so will be busy doing non bike stuff (bugger) Knowing me I will be still planning the morning of the trip
      P38 -
      Sounds like your all sorted. Going over the map I did there's a couple of differences that i didn't pick up until i looked over it again. Do you use google maps, or something else? I will toy with some different nav apps, as google maps don't have a lot of functionality compared to some others Ive seen, like making way points easier, detours, offline maps without using dev codes.

Edit: Neve rmind a zumos a GPS not a phone!

I used the Garmin Mapsource software to map the route.

Saved as a .gdb file

However This software lets me save as other file types such as .gpx

What file type is compatible with your phone?

I could email you a copy.

Cheers
      Pete
      eldog -
      I used the Garmin Mapsource software to map the route.

Saved as a .gdb file

However This software lets me save as other file types such as .gpx

What file type is compatible with your phone?

I could email you a copy.

Cheers
      Pete
      thanks for the offer Pete, but i want to do this myself, its the best way I learn.
      OK I like to get how people do it - method. but I only learn the pitfalls etc and remember the router better if I do it myself. If I manage to get really lost I may ask later, so thanks for the offer.
      have a good trip, you will be ahead of me I am sure of that (slow rider that I am)
      awa355 -
      I can't for the life of me see why anyone would need a gps for this ride. There's really one road from Te puke, Whakatane, round the coast and back to Rotorua. But each to their own I guess.
  • Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events