• Next BIG Protest with StoneY and the Unions

Ok everyone
    I have had a few people mention there is no defined thread for the NEXT PROTEST

I have sevreal Unions on board for a big march on Parliament, and the wheels are starting to roll
    Dates set for 16th February, at this point its a logical date as the Corrections Union are having a march the week before, and some other group have one the week after so we get a finite window of oppotunity to pull this off.

I have requested permission from the Speaker to enter the grounds en-masse on 16th February.

This is about more than just Bikers but we want to have a strong presence there.

I need about 3-400 bikers to attend on the day and make a visible presence at the front of the house, but this time speakers will all be Unionists and Academics and other disafeccted groups (is that the right term?)

Its gonna take some work to pull it off again, and I am hoping we get the same support we got last time for the BIKEOI, but wont hold my breath.

Anyone keen to help, PM me
    And I aint talking about handing out fliers, I mean WORK and responsibility for some of the organisation...(nearly killed myself the last time with exhaustion.)

This iwll be along the same lines as the BIKEOI, peacefull but a strong message
    Want loads of signs, banners, and a good chant, one I think we have heard before, LOL

StoneY
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Next BIG Protest with StoneY and the Unions started by StoneY View original post
    Comments 382 Comments
      P38 -
      Todays Dom Post contained a letter to the Editor supposedly from Dr Jan White, CEO ACC.

This letter was in response to a story the Dom post had run a few weeks ago.

The letter simply regurgitates the same old tired shit about how much Motorcyclists are costing Motorists and how broke ACC is etc etc....

My first thought when reading this was "Since when does the CEO of a Major Corporation respond to a Letter to an Editor of a regional newspaper".

Has this ever happened before?

Dont they have Plebs or Lackies to do the dirty work for them anymore?

Seems to me ACC is getting a bit uncomfortable with the pressure being bought to bear on it.

I also see John Key is about to announce a reshuffle of his cabinet, coincidently Nick Smith is facing a $15,000,000 defamation case.

Are the cracks starting to appear in this National Government?

Only way to tell for sure is to keep up the pressure......

See you all in Wellywood on the 16th.
      riffer -
      Trust me oldrider, it's bloody hard to get any right-wing or even centrist representation against this ACC thing, as most righties seem to be on the government's side. Despite my political tendencies I've aligned myself with this protest as it's against the changes to ACC. A number of others felt the same way when the bikers "aligned" themselves with Labour and the Greens at the last rally. It's time to put away our political enmities and concentrate on the bigger issue - our country's future. We all know that Labour would have probably done the same thing as the Nats, so let's drop the left vs right thing okay?
      RiderInBlack -
      All Oldrider's Posts have done is make me wish I could get there myself even more. Too bad my roister this time doesn't help. Getting from Whangarei to Wellington is a bit of a mission. Hope it all goes well because as an Orthopaedic Nurse I'm not looking forward to having to deal patients without ACC as it is now.
      "No Faults ACC" = No Judgment about how I care for my patients, or how much care I give, or whether they can afford it.
      Think carefully about that as you get older and have fractures more easily with less income to pay for the surgery that you will need for it, as you are lying in pain, waiting for the Ambo to check out your medical insurance to see if they will cover you.
      P38 -
      Quote Originally Posted by StoneY View Post
      I want all riders to just show up in individual groups, marshals to park em up, and you know, if Molesworth St ends up blocked by bikes...I dont care (hint hint)
      I can hear Wellingtons parking wardens rubbing their hands together with glee dreaming of all the parking infringement notices they could write up ........................... Montly bonuses will be achieved, Ipods and Trips away will be earned.

I'm in two minds at this stage
      One says becareful where you park,
      The other says Fuck Em I'll park exactly where I bloody want too.

Probally decide on the day and park according to the conditions ....
      oldrider -
      Quote Originally Posted by StoneY View Post
      Hey your the one who wanted to make it a sides issue.
      And red bling is my exoression fo free speech too, so just go find some posts to red rep of mine if you feel the need, I repped the content of the post not the person.
      Its not left/right at all its about democracy and our rights and being ripped off for no good reason
      The red bling is of no consequence, lets focus on the issues, correct me if I am wrong!

The issue is about reintroduction of a "State controlled monopoly ACC welfare (Woodhouse model) system".

Rather than.

The introduction of "Private competative ACC insurance" and the probable phasing out of the current "State monopoly ACC insurance system"!

From it's beginning ACC has endured abuse from both governments and claimants, to the detriment of the origional Woodhouse concept.

ACC has now reached it's current status of a "State controlled monopoly insurance company" that is wielding outrageous costs on an undeserving taxpaying public with no altrenatives!

The action is to support the reintroduction of the original Woodhouse ACC system!

I believe that the action is now becoming more focussed upon the reinstatement of a Labour lead government and the removal of the current government, rather than focussing on the issue at hand.

I believe that "all" governments have contributed to the current situation and simply replacing one for another will only exacerbate the problem, not remedy it!

I felt I should make my position clear, I support the issue but not the "apparent" political direction being pursued by the action.
      bogan -
      not at all, the action is focused on the removal of the future funding scheme and dropping the levy hikes. The nature of politicing seems to mean the opposition will use this as an excuse to put the boot in to national and try and get support from us, whats wrong with that? (apart from the petty nature of politics, but thats all we have to work with)
      RiderInBlack -
      Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
      The action is to support the reintroduction of the original Woodhouse ACC system!

I believe that the action is now becoming more focussed upon the reinstatement of a Labour lead government and the removal of the current government, rather than focussing on the issue at hand.

I believe that "all" governments have contributed to the current situation and simply replacing one for another will only exacerbate the problem, not remedy it!

I felt I should make my position clear, I support the issue but not the "apparent" political direction being pursued by the action.
      That "apparent" politcal direction is all in ya own head Oldrider. This is about reinstating the original Woodhouse ACC system and not about who is in power IMHO.
      Yes Labour has been nibbling away at this quietly, but National is hacking away at it with gusto. What's more we are being sold on it being a good thing that we need to do because ACC is broke
      If Labour had proposed to do as National is with the ACC system I be there giving them shit too.
      I don't care whos it power, but I do care about what they do while they are there.
      oldrider -
      Quote Originally Posted by RiderInBlack View Post
      That "apparent" politcal direction is all in ya own head Oldrider. This is about reinstating the original Woodhouse ACC system and not about who is in power IMHO.
      Yes Labour has been nibbling away at this quietly, but National is hacking away at it with gusto. What's more we are being sold on it being a good thing that we need to do because ACC is broke
      If Labour had proposed to do as National is with the ACC system I be there giving them shit too.
      I don't care whos it power, but I do care about what they do while they are there.
      That may well be true, "that it is all in my own head", fair enough but it is not something that I wish to see happen!

Can't disagree with anything else you said in your post either, just don't want to see the initiative highjacked for the wrong reasons!

I don't regard political "left or right" in a straight line, it's more like a circle, every 180 degrees they turn into clones of each other, just the way National and Labour have over the past forty years!

Their staunch supporters don't even seem to notice them doing it!

The vision "in my own head" is the union movements hijacking the initiative to Labour's advantage and then we are out of the frying pan and into the political fire all over again!

Even worse is that if I get in behind and run with it, "I" will have helped them do it!

Oh well, moving right along.
      caseye -
      Unfortunately it will come down to , whoever promises publicly and on record, to reinstate the ACC and it's traditional Woodhouse principals will be the next Govt. Once this act of suicide has been seen for what it is by all New Zealanders affected by it ( that is every single one of us) the Nats will be out on their ear in double quick time and naturally Labour will be back in.Well that is of course unless this stupid MMP crap reas it's Ugly head and unites two totally opposed parties into a minority Govt again.
      It's past the point of being able to pick and choose the moral rights andwrongs Oldrider, its time simply to act and live with the consequences.
      I salute your stand and recognise that this is your Act and that you wish neither political party to gain favour or qudos from the outcome of this protest.
      I'm going to Wellington again, another three days un paid leave etc etc but I consider it worth it ,if Key and his mindless Profit before people cronies end up ousted by the people and their political allies, in this case primarily ,
      Labour .
      gazmascelle -
      Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
      That may well be true, "that it is all in my own head", fair enough but it is not something that I wish to see happen!

Can't disagree with anything else you said in your post either, just don't want to see the initiative highjacked for the wrong reasons!

I don't regard political "left or right" in a straight line, it's more like a circle, every 180 degrees they turn into clones of each other, just the way National and Labour have over the past forty years!

Their staunch supporters don't even seem to notice them doing it!

The vision "in my own head" is the union movements hijacking the initiative to Labour's advantage and then we are out of the frying pan and into the political fire all over again!

Even worse is that if I get in behind and run with it, "I" will have helped them do it!

Oh well, moving right along.
      Fair enough.

Labour/Greens/Maori/Bill and Ben/Whatever can get involved in this all they like, I couldn't care less. As long as we make our point.
      Pixie -
      Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
      See if you can get some people from the tourism industry marching. There is a national body representing the operators.
      I heard,recently, that the ACC levies for Ski field operators went through the roof as well.
      StoneY -
      Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
      I can hear Wellingtons parking wardens rubbing their hands together with glee dreaming of all the parking infringement notices they could write up ........................... Montly bonuses will be achieved, Ipods and Trips away will be earned.

I'm in two minds at this stage
      One says becareful where you park,
      The other says Fuck Em I'll park exactly where I bloody want too.

Probally decide on the day and park according to the conditions ....
      Smart post bro, and hopefully solved as of today and Mr Jon Visser's assistance getting the authorities to actually pay attention!
      Parking not QUITE secured, but requested in tripplicate, anotated by HM The Queen, palced before the select comitee for approval.....cones booked for the day!

Honestly...if you had any idea the hassle it is THIS time....seems Bikers were a far more attractive option to Unions! Go figure!
      (I think they really wanted to perve at all our cool chicks in leather myself)
      duncan_bayne -
      Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
      Fair enough. But ask yourself...do you want to pay more, and get less in return? Regardless of 'political beliefs' I think the answer to that question is crucial.
      You're right. Much more important that we focus on the bottom line - individual ACC charges - than anything as trifling as freedom or other abstract political principles.
      p.dath -
      Forgive me for not reading the whole thread; is this still set to go ahead of February 16th?
      Bald Eagle -
      Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
      Forgive me for not reading the whole thread; is this still set to go ahead of February 16th?

Yes Tuesday Feb 16th is a definite date.
      p.dath -
      I was thinking about asking my contacts in AA to issue a press release questioning the need for pre-funding.

I was also thinking of writing to a show like John Campbell and seeing if I could entice them to do a show about the issue.

Anyone have any objections? Don't want to step on anyone's toes, or counter an effort that has already been made.
      riffer -
      I was thinking about asking my contacts in AA to issue a press release questioning the need for pre-funding.

I was also thinking of writing to a show like John Campbell and seeing if I could entice them to do a show about the issue.

Anyone have any objections? Don't want to step on anyone's toes, or counter an effort that has already been made.

Good bloody luck getting AA to do anything with this. As a company that promotes Insurance, they've got a vested interest in seeing ACC sold off.
      StoneY -

P.Dath mate, great intention but your 'contacts' in the AA dont give a shit man, them fuckers are 100% behind the levy hikes ACCROSS the board. They are an INSURANCE company, have been for 20 fucking years, the 'association' side of its LONG gone dude, and they want a piece of the great pie when JK cuts the slices off.

This is the...aherm....most misguided/informed/thought/post you have yet made my friend.....

Youve come up with some stunning stuff for the ACC campaign to date tho bro, keep the efforts going but the AA are litterally our enemy, no shit, even thier own call centre staff hate the policies they have in place when I took my bikes, car and life policies elsewhere, I told them exactly why, and turns out the call centre guy had been on the BIKEOI! As a biker he was also less than impressed with hs employers stance...

AA are assholes mate, but what we CAN do (and I think it was you who made this suggestion) is join up, swamp the AGM with bikers, and vote a Biker into the head role MUWAHAHAHAHA

As for TV, good luck mate, I dleivered an 8000 bike convoy to TV3 and TVNZ,as well as 9,500 angry hooligans chanting BULLSHIT and they wont even give us 5 minutes for a breakfast show announcement on this one....

Anyone able to get the cheeses to re-think pre protest coverage with TV stations, go for it, just ask our comms advisors (Ms piggy on KB) for an offiiail statement so we get the fact right, please
      In fact the Unions promised a media campaign...so lets see if they can boot the doors to the studio's down.
      p.dath -
      Here is what I have sent to Campbell Live:

This year more than any other year is going to be the year that NZ needs to decide if they want a pre-funded ACC scheme.

It's an issue that affects everyone that pays levies. Workers, self employed, motorists, etc.

When Owen Woodhouse (still alive - interview potential) created the scheme he did so after careful consideration after looking at all the major systems in the world.
      He came to the conclusion that a simple compensation scheme (as opposed to an insurance system which NZ previously had) provided the greatest benefit to the community. I'll mention that word again, community, because that's what it is all about. The community caring for the community.

His opinion was that a community funded scheme where all people contribute equally (no risk assessment or consideration of fault) to assist those most in need, down to those least in need, would work best (he determined that helping those least in need of support would be determined by what the community was prepared to pay).

For some reason NZ took a sudden deviation off the original plan and changed from "pay as you go" to pre-funding.

No other area of Government social spending is pre-funded. You don't have to pay for your entire retirement on the first year you retire. You don't have to pay for your entire use of the roading network the first year you start driving. You don't have to pay for your entire education in the first year you attend school.

So why was there a need to all of a sudden change ACC so that you have to pay for all future care relating to accidents in the year that they occur?

NZ has been in a recession. If you dropped the pre-funding now, every single levy holder could have an immediate reduction in their levies, giving the economy a much needed little push.

This issue is very much an issue affecting all NZ's.

It would also get rid of the countries ACC debt, which only exists on paper.
      Did you know ACC recently *only* had a $900m? It was only $900m because of the recession. Typically its more like $2b.

Would you call a corporation with a $900m cash operating surplus and with significant assets in trouble? No. The "trouble" is purely on paper because of pre-funding.

There is going to be a general protest march on parliament on February 16th.

I think with all the additional media attention that your show might benefit nicely from a more in-depth look at the situation.

I hope for your support in bringing this to the attention of the average NZ'er, and what they are having to needlessly pay for.
      MSTRS:Me -
      Good letter. Bar one thing...
      The surplus was $1.2B and that was for the 2008/09 year only. Their total 'surplus' is in the nature of $14B.