• Auckland City Compass protest ride

NO WAY NICK

NOTE Times have changed slightly

Auckland City Compass

Protest Ride

Saturday May 1st

Start 10:30am

Yes folks, the time has come to kickstart our protest campaign off once again.
    We did warn Minister Myth we would not go away.

This is the first of a series of protest rides that are being organised by the Auckland Action Group - make sure you tell 10 friends etc.

The ride comes from all points of the compass and enters the City from the North/South/East/West

***Please bring a Gold Coin Donation
    We are raising funds for Rape Crisis on this ride***

Assembly Points: Please be there by 10:00am for a 10:30am Departure

: North : Maha/MadDuck/Mom....Leaving From Oteha Valley Rd Mobil

: South : Caseye.......Leaving From BP Papakura (Autobahn)

: East : Fatt Max/Phantasm...Leaving From BP Ti Rakau Drive

: West : Bodir.....Leaving From Shell Westgate

: Be at your chosen leaving point by 9am

: Co-ordinated departure times to arrive at Auckland Domain at 10am, for noise making and speeches

: Depart the Domain enmass at 12am and ride up Queen St creating maximum noise

: Lunch at Mission Bay. One bike per park as before

Calander events will be loaded, please indicate your attendance below.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/ca...y=2010-5-1&c=0
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Auckland City Compass protest ride started by Maha View original post
    Comments 305 Comments
      caseye -
      Ya know Mark you have a damn fine point thee.Ammo for the future.
      M and M (Te, he, he. Couldn't rersist)protest ride statisitcs.
      So far at least 4 full on City and fringe rides.
      No accidents.
      No road closures.
      No Police involvement.
      No negative feedback from Public.
      In fact positive from Mission Bay shop keepers and residents.Same at Viaduct.Same at Chrissy run.Same for the Biggie when you famous folk got over 1500(or was it more) bikes to ride the length of the Auckland City Motorway and back
      Approx2000 individual riders in total on the four rides I can think of and we did it all by ourselves.
      We marshalled the riders.
      We blocked traffic where necessary.
      We took responsibility and we trusted our riders to do the responsible thing.
      Look what can e achieved.
      ADD This outsatanding record to BikHoi 1 and man we've got some pretty solid credentials. For Bikers in general who have felt outraged enough to RIDE agaisnt this govt's stupid one eyed approach to ACC Resrtucturing.
      Maha -
      Bodir controlled the ride really well to be honest.
      Chasio did a marvellous job as TEC.
      The earlier rides were a real test and things are starting to Gel.

I went on the very 1st ''protest'' ride and there were about 12 bikes.
      It was a bit messy to say the least with a lot of head shaking from those two or three back from the front. But notes were taken so not a total loss.
      To manage anywhere from 25-400 bikes can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it.
      Having a team of the right people is the real bonus.
      Fatt Max -
      Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
      Bodir controlled the ride really well to be honest.
      Chasio did a marvellous job as TEC.
      The earlier rides were a real test and things are starting to Gel.

I went on the very 1st ''protest'' ride and there were about 12 bikes.
      It was a bit messy to say the least with a lot of head shaking from those two or three back from the front. But notes were taken so not a total loss.
      To manage anywhere from 25-400 bikes can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it.
      Having a team of the right people is the real bonus.
      Well said mate,

And Caseye, well written as usual.

These are the sort of things that can really EDUCATE people about our protest and the bigger picture. We are doing this on behalf of ALL New Zealanders. We are making the DIFFERENCE and sometimes, as a community of like minded people, we have to beat our chests and say "look at us, we can protest the right way".

It's called walking the talk if I remember rightly.

Now, for that wanker I work with who said "oh yeah, another protest...how many crashes were there?"............anyone want to join me, I'll supply the Vaseline......
      retro asian -
      From where I was on the roadside, the bikes on queen st looked and sounded really impressive.
      I could definitely hear them well before I could see anything.

Imagine if in the next protest we could get 400 bikes to slow ride through Queen St and stops in the middle briefly to chant something, with riders or Police blocking the intersections, that would look amazing. Probably wouldn't even need a theme or anything, just a load of signs and a simple message.
      Pixie -
      Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Max View Post

It's called walking the talk if I remember rightly.

Only if you're maori.
      The phrase is "Talk the Talk and Walk the Walk"

How the fuck can you walk the talk?
      yachtie10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
      Only if you're maori.
      The phrase is "Talk the Talk and Walk the Walk"

How the fuck can you walk the talk?
      I always thought it meant actually doing what you talk about (opposite of all mouth no trousers)
      chasio -
      Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
      Ya know Mark you have a damn fine point thee.Ammo for the future.
      M and M (Te, he, he. Couldn't rersist)protest ride statisitcs.
      So far at least 4 full on City and fringe rides.
      No accidents.
      No road closures.
      No Police involvement.
      No negative feedback from Public.
      In fact positive from Mission Bay shop keepers and residents.Same at Viaduct.Same at Chrissy run.Same for the Biggie when you famous folk got over 1500(or was it more) bikes to ride the length of the Auckland City Motorway and back
      Approx2000 individual riders in total on the four rides I can think of and we did it all by ourselves.
      We marshalled the riders.
      We blocked traffic where necessary.
      We took responsibility and we trusted our riders to do the responsible thing.
      Look what can e achieved.
      ADD This outsatanding record to BikHoi 1 and man we've got some pretty solid credentials. For Bikers in general who have felt outraged enough to RIDE agaisnt this govt's stupid one eyed approach to ACC Resrtucturing.
      Good points. I think the AKL motorway ride was around the 400 mark at peak, but a LOT of kms and junctions negotiated safely.
      Fatt Max -
      Quote Originally Posted by yachtie10 View Post
      I always thought it meant actually doing what you talk about (opposite of all mouth no trousers)
      Yep, thats 'how the fuck you walk the talk'

Sorry, I know I cant talk proper like wot me bruvver and me dad does
      Maha -
      Quote Originally Posted by retro asian View Post
      From where I was on the roadside, the bikes on queen st looked and sounded really impressive.
      I could definitely hear them well before I could see anything.

Imagine if in the next protest we could get 400 bikes to slow ride through Queen St and stops in the middle briefly to chant something, with riders or Police blocking the intersections, that would look amazing. Probably wouldn't even need a theme or anything, just a load of signs and a simple message.
      Getting off the bikes was discussed later that day.
      It was mention that '' why dont we just stop and get off the bikes half way up Queens st''?

Good point raised and I like the idea.
      Bodir -
      Getting off the bikes was discussed later that day.
      It was mention that '' why dont we just stop and get off the bikes half way up Queens st''?

Good point raised and I like the idea.
      As long as you define as get off: stop, get side stand down, lean bike on side stand, voluntarily move away from the bike. And not the other option
      Maha -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bodir View Post
      As long as you define as get off: stop, get side stand down, lean bike on side stand, voluntarily move away from the bike. And not the other option
      If the other option is required, maybe a side street is in order?
      Fatt Max -
      If the other option is required, maybe a side street is in order?
      Well, we did stop for a while on Fort Street.....I saw an opportunity and I took it.......chaffing like f**k now though....
      Ixion -
      When we rode past Vulcan Lane, I thought "Hm, if we all rode in there and stopped...".
      retro asian -
      Not sure if this works all that well, but for a bit of fun here are some "miniature model" shots of the riders coming from North Shore:

MadDuck -
      Not sure if this works all that well, but for a bit of fun here are some "miniature model" shots of the riders coming from North Shore:
      Ahhhhh....I thought I saw someone with a camera on the overbridge as we came through. Cheers for the pics
      Mom -
      We need more of you

Thank you for being ahead of us, thank you for sharing.
      Maha -
      Nice formation riding going on there.
      caseye -
      Well done that man, next ride could you come down south too??? te he he. Nice work mate and much apprecaited. Hey guys back in NZ, buggered and will be remembering my Aunt tomorrow when her funeral will be being held in Darwin.
      Fatt Max -
      Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
      Hey guys back in NZ, buggered and will be remembering my Aunt tomorrow when her funeral will be being held in Darwin.
      Good to have you home mate, thoughts with you for tomorrow, you did a great thing there my friend.

Take care
      chasio -
      There's a surreal quality to those photos... like miniature models as you say. Did you do anything special to get that appearance? As a once very keen photographer with limited digital skills, I'm intrigued! Technial details please