• MAG-NZ Launches in New Zealand

It is with great pleasure we announce the arrival of MAG-NZ to the biker scene in New Zealand. While our official launch date is October 3rd 2010 we have launched our website today and invite you to come in and find out a bit more about us.

www.mag-nz.org

Motorcycle Action Group of New Zealand (MAG-NZ) has been formed by bikers, for bikers and promises a new era of meaningful and purposeful representation for bikers in New Zealand.

As the name suggests MAG-NZ is about Action.

As an organisation we are committed to upholding bikers freedoms, and resisting imposed restrictions and laws which impede those freedoms.

We will do so actively, we will not passively accept the eroding of our legal right to ride. MAG-NZ believes that bikers themselves understand, and are responsible for, the actions that are required to ensure their freedoms. We will not wait for others to do our job for us.

MAG-NZ believes there are 3 levels of action required;

• Personal;
    • Local;
    • National.

As an organisation MAG-NZ is committed to all three.

We also see the sense in belonging to an international group, committed to similar ideas. MAG-NZ has the support and backing of MAG-UK and will use the resources this affiliation brings to ensure we achieve our goals.

So, do not ask what MAG-NZ can do for you, rather, what can you do for your fellow bikers?

Membership of MAG-NZ is open to anyone regardless of what they ride. You don't even have to be a motorcycle owner - if you simply have "an interest" in motorcycles or things motorcycling we welcome your membership.
    Join us today!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: MAG-NZ Launches in New Zealand started by Mom View original post
    Comments 275 Comments
      Berries -
      Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
      Thats why I chose a different avatar, my name is Mark James and I am MAG's Ride and Events coordinator, Anne (Mom) is my wife and Fatt Max is just a bouncy castle.
      Don't know why but with your username I always assumed you were female. My apologies and thanks for putting me straight. Funnily enough, I saw a bouncy castle outside Mitre 10 today. If Fatt Max is that colour then he is in serious trouble.
      Smifffy -
      Holy crap, the comments section on my facebook page has gone nuts over the posting of the petition, with one person actually advocating WRB's and an interesting backlash. Only 1 additional sign-up so far though.

It's even gone international!!!! woop woop!

hmmm where is DB these days?
      Maha -
      Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
      Don't know why but with your username I always assumed you were female. My apologies and thanks for putting me straight. Funnily enough, I saw a bouncy castle outside Mitre 10 today. If Fatt Max is that colour then he is in serious trouble.
      Nothing wrong with a man in a dress is there?
      But I draw the line at lippy.
      Katman -
      Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
      But I draw the line at lippy.
      So you're open to the idea of a full body wax?
      NighthawkNZ:Me -
      Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
      That phrase for anyone over 40 who does not ride, describes a bunch of rough louts out to cause mayhem. And lets face it 90% of the population don't give a flying fuck about us or our perceived rights..
      Common mistake... you mean Bikie vs Biker... but difference.

What BRONZ needs to do is re-affiliate with all the different local branches or BRONZ as I have said on another site... BRONZ lost its way years ago...

Heck BRONZ Otago call themself "a club"... they aren't a club. They are suppose to be part of National Organisation for Bikers Rights...

I have nothing against BRONZ starting a social side or club as part of BRONZ as mentioned us bikers a social creatures after all... But their main goal and course, should be what they were orginally set up to do. VCR run by BRONZ Otago... a great rally... donations made to charities every year... but the profits should now be going to fight ACC... how much easier would it be to take things to court when they have money behind them... I mean its not that hard... but the last BRONZ Otago president didn't want any thing to do with it and wanted to stay a social club (which they aren't suppose to be in the first place) and stay away of the political stuff that BRONZ was setup to fight for...

Think about it how much money is raised by bikers in general through out the country... ??? all goes to charity... how about we start raising some money for your ourself to be used as to fight for changes... heck wouldn't suprise me if there was enough to start a insurance scheme... ???

If BRONZ goes back to its roots affilates the different branches back to a National group and aligns itself with any and all groups and clubs including MAG-NZ, bikers in NZ would have a better chance of getting any changes...

Heck I was thinking last year of trying to start a Motorcycle version of AA... MANZ with the benifits that AA offered. AA is a huge thorn in our side as motorcyclists...
      scracha -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
      We are currently writing policy on training. MAG believes in, and supports advanced rider training. We will be lobbying hard to get better access to advanced training for bikers around NZ. This ACTION - taking advanced rider training, falls under our umbrella of "Personal Action" and forms part of the MAG policy.
      Good. Positive action to get our house in order and stop us falling off bikes. Katman will be excited !! Seriously though, I hope MAG doesn't come across as a bunch of rowdy bikers shouting at government minsters and bandying about seriously flawed statistics. I hope MAG does come across as an intelligent lobbying force with reasonable requests.

As far as the WRB issue is concerned, we believe that we have a moral obligation to continue to have these barriers made safer for bikers. The petition has over 7,000 signatures on it now, we owe it to those that have signed to make sure their message is delivered to Parliament.
      I can't understand why "bikers" aren't more concerned with the other shit (literally), gravel, tar bleed, overbanding and diesel on the roads. More riders lose their bikes/lives/limbs through this than WRB's. Anyhoo, I digress. I'm not fussed either way if MAG finds WRB's an issue, my original point was that the choice of the unfortunate who died in 2007 as a driver for the cause isn't too clever.
      Mom -
      Quote Originally Posted by zeocen View Post
      I signed up last night but can't seem to login?
      Log in to what? Oh, do you mean the Rep Log on on www.mag-nz.org ? That function is only available to our regional representatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Smifffy View Post

Riding responsibly & keeping the wof up to date, were both pieces of advice, that were to be frank somewhat patronising, if I weren't interested in those things why would I even consider agitating for improved road safety for motorcyclists?
      I apologise if you felt patronised by my post. That was not my intention. Thank you for your comments.
      Mom -
      Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
      Good. Positive action to get our house in order and stop us falling off bikes. Katman will be excited !! Seriously though, I hope MAG doesn't come across as a bunch of rowdy bikers shouting at government minsters and bandying about seriously flawed statistics. I hope MAG does come across as an intelligent lobbying force with reasonable requests.

I can't understand why "bikers" aren't more concerned with the other shit (literally), gravel, tar bleed, overbanding and diesel on the roads. More riders lose their bikes/lives/limbs through this than WRB's. Anyhoo, I digress. I'm not fussed either way if MAG finds WRB's an issue, my original point was that the choice of the unfortunate who died in 2007 as a driver for the cause isn't too clever.
      Well, I can not guarantee there wont be noise at any event that invloves a protest action. I can however reassure you that we are not a bunch of yobs, never have been. We never set out to deliberately cause distruption or inconvience to others, that is not our intention. However, we do acknowledge that as a result of action we might take that this may be a potential outcome. Action comes in many forms, and constructive and informed lobbying in the right places is all part of the plan.

Rest assured MAG-NZ are VERY concerned at the state of our roads, and the seemingly total disregard that is held for our safety by the people that construct them and maintain them. Cow shit on the road is a particular pet subject of mine, I have written countless letters over the years. It is one of our main campaign focusses.

Your advice regarding the catalyst for the WRB campaign will be taken on board and discussed.
      Smifffy -

I apologise if you felt patronised by my post. That was not my intention. Thank you for your comments.

No need for an apology. Action means action, and it wasn't meant to be a dig at you. I am not trying to be critical here, I am simply asking questions in order to evaluate whether or not this is the organisation I want to join.

As far as I can make out there are 19 people that have signed your online petition - 2 of them are me and one is my wife. I would have thought there would be more people interested.

I don't usually sign petitions twice, but I bailed out at the paypal screen and then when I checked the list of signatures I wasn't there, so clicked again, then I was there twice.

Then again, everybody should be entitle to sign once for each rego fee they pay....
      caseye -
      Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
      Perhaps committee members could have a specific KB avatar. It is a bit hard telling who is who with all new yellow squares appearing. I know from the website that Mom and Fatt Max are on the committee, no idea who the others are so it is all starting to get a bit confusing.
      The yellow squares denote a MAG-NZ member who is a KB member.
      All founding members as listed on the MAG-NZ website are currently also comittee members.
      Hope this clears up those two things for you.
      Your point about MAG-NZ comittee members having a specific ie: different avatr to ordinary members is a good one, mind if I put it forward for you?
      Bodir -
      Just putting up my 2 cents worth of comments

I am proud to work with the founding members of MAG-NZ. These folks have done a great amount of work when we were "just" the AAG and now they stepped up to what was required to continue the fight for my (or our) freedom of choice.

I moved to NZ as a lifestyle choice and this includes hassle free and safe motorcycling

I am willing to do my part.
      MSTRS:Me -
      Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
      I'm not fussed either way if MAG finds WRB's an issue, my original point was that the choice of the unfortunate who died in 2007 as a driver for the cause isn't too clever.
      Not everyone is 'frightened' of WRB's. Fair enough. There are many roading issues. Bound to be one that floats your boat. If so, join, and maybe you can be the driver of 'noises' if others find your particular bugbear worthy?
      The thing about WRB's is that they are a creeping menace. The more there is out there, the more chances of horrific injuries and death. Which is what the UK and European MAGs found. They have been very successful in getting this form of barrier replaced or made safer with a sleeve. We can too.
      Smifffy -
      Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
      The yellow squares denote a MAG-NZ member who is a KB member.
      All founding members as listed on the MAG-NZ website are currently also comittee members.
      Hope this clears up those two things for you.
      Your point about MAG-NZ comittee members having a specific ie: different avatr to ordinary members is a good one, mind if I put it forward for you?
      I think the point was not so much differentiating between committee and regular members, but being able to identify individual members, since many ppl look at the avatar rather than the user name first.

A bit like the confusion that used to arise between GOONR & Mashman, and Squiggles & Renegade Master.
      Mom -
      Quote Originally Posted by Smifffy View Post
      No need for an apology. Action means action, and it wasn't meant to be a dig at you. I am not trying to be critical here, I am simply asking questions in order to evaluate whether or not this is the organisation I want to join.

As far as I can make out there are 19 people that have signed your online petition - 2 of them are me and one is my wife. I would have thought there would be more people interested.

I don't usually sign petitions twice, but I bailed out at the paypal screen and then when I checked the list of signatures I wasn't there, so clicked again, then I was there twice.

Then again, everybody should be entitle to sign once for each rego fee they pay....
      I will give you some background about the WRB campaign, the petition was started up in 2007 after a young motorcyclist was killed after coming into contact with the WRB on the Auckaldn motorway. Now it was in 2 forms, paper and electronic. The electronic petition was accessed via a website www.cheesecutter.co.nz and had in excess of 3000 signatures the last count check I did. Unfortunately that website is no longer working and the url now points to us. The bloke that maintained the website is in Australia. I have contacted him to see if we can get the original e-petition back, I have not received a reply yet. That will happen, but in the mean time we set up a second one so we dont miss any potential support.

The e-petition makes light work of picking up double signatories, I have the hard copy one entered into a spreadsheet here that I can weed out any double ups off. Hopefully that helps a bit
      NighthawkNZ:Me -
      Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post

Get rid of the bastard!

Run Nick Smith out of town!
      both he and John Key are just puppets... I keep saying you want change cut the strings and find the puppeteers
      Katman -
      At the risk of being labelled a Katman, can I ask what MAG-NZ's stance is on the idea of motorcyclists cleaning up their own back yard as an initiative towards creating a stronger base for having our grievances heard?
      willytheekid -
      KB is very important to a lot of people. But it is NOT a club, or lobby group, or national body that speaks for the collective or anything really - other than a website where people with an interest in bikes can yak to each other, organise get-togethers, and such like.

Never ONCE did I say it was a CLUB or lobby group or national body?....I am fully aware of what it does and how it works..............Its just a lot more useful to the everyday biker than the groups you have listed !
      Mom -
      Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
      At the risk of being labelled a Katman, can I ask what MAG-NZ's stance is on the idea of motorcyclists cleaning up their own back yard as an initiative towards creating a stronger base for having our grievances heard?
      You will never be anything else but a Katman

We advocate action on a personal level, I used the phrase ride with a wise head in this thread a little while ago. We encourage our members to take responsibility for their own actions, take advantage of further training, wear good protective gear. We dont need to be crashing all over the place, or riding like flaming idiots, it does not help our position at all. Time and place at times. However, we dont want to be dictated to, nor forced by unfair legislation to be compelled to do any of the above.

Bikers have a strong lobby point now, we just need to capitalise on it. By showing we have a strong ethos of safety and considerate behaviour (regardless of the idiots that dont or wont) we are legitimising our position. We are not responsible for everyone and the way they behave, nor can we impose our beliefs on them, it is all about choices. MAG-NZ can only encourage our members to take positive personal action as a bottom line, the rest has to come from within.
      Rhino -
      A question for the MAG-NZ Committee,

I and many other KB members received an unsolicited email informing me of MAG-NZ. Note that I said email, not a pm via KB. When I check the message headers I see that these came from a mailer address at KB.

Can you please explain how you obtained these email addresses if you are a separate entity to KB? If the KB database was passed to you, that could be illegal under the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007 (despite having an unsubscribe link , which also points to KB.)

I will be taking legal advice and if necessary will lay a complaint with the Department of internal Affairs.

Details supplied to KB should not be used for other purposes.
      Smifffy -
      You will never be anything else but a Katman

We advocate action on a personal level, I used the phrase ride with a wise head in this thread a little while ago. We encourage our members to take responsibility for their own actions, take advantage of further training, wear good protective gear. We dont need to be crashing all over the place, or riding like flaming idiots, it does not help our position at all. Time and place at times. However, we dont want to be dictated to, nor forced by unfair legislation to be compelled to do any of the above.
      I for one would like the statistics to represent reality. Like the guy at work that smashed up his foot on his Moto-X bike. You know that was recorded as a motorcycle accident, yet he doesn't pay a cent in rego or levies.

Or the people who crash on private roads, or race tracks....

Travel about 300 mts on the back pegs with a lift at about 11 oclock then you can say you have done a wheelie....once again, im just an observer.
      Encouraging riding with a wise head?
  • Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events

• Poll Widget

LED headlamps and foglamps (Votes: 13)

1. I have no problems with others lights (Votes: 0)

2. I’m constantly blinded by bright lights and hate night driving (Votes: 2)

3. Some newer vehicles are too high intensity lighting (Votes: 5)

4. Just hate poorly adjusted lights (Votes: 8)

5. I’m too busy looking at phone to notice (Votes: 0)

6. I’ve illegally modified my lights and dont care (Votes: 0)

7. I ride around on full beam not caring that people can’t see my indicators (Votes: 0)

8. I’m a bat and just use sonar (Votes: 0)