• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: F5 Dave Yesterday, 19:09 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: pritch Yesterday, 21:25 Go to last post
    dangerous

older riders surviving badly

Thread Starter: dangerous

... this has been on my mind a bit of late, more so the last week with the 2nd funeral of a friend on Saturday, earlier in the year was a very dear friend at 49yrs old, hers was avery freak acco... last week a van turned in front of a friend... 48yrs... Now Im 50 and I know I have passed my "best...

Last Post By: SPman Yesterday, 15:59 Go to last post
    SaferRides

Unopened brake fluid shelf life?

Thread Starter: SaferRides

Pretty much what the thread title says. There is a variety of opinions for opened containers, but little info on how long you should keep unopened fluid. I have some that was made in 10/2017 and am hesitant to use it.

Last Post By: SaferRides Yesterday, 06:31 Go to last post
    rastuscat

Psychology of road safety

Thread Starter: rastuscat

For those who have too much time on their hands. Interesting thoughts on road safety. And the arguments as to why driver education isn't the golden egg it's made out to be. Pete

Last Post By: jellywrestler Yesterday, 20:31 Go to last post
  • Keep Wellington motorcycling free - sign the petition!

WCC are reviewing the use of on-road motorcycle parking, which may include the introduction of fees / charges.

Do your bit by signing the "keep it free" petition:
    http://www.wellington.govt.nz/haveyo...ep/details/147

PS: Kudos and credit to BRONZ for organising this.

EDIT: Even if you aren't a Wellingtonian (I don't blame you, honest) - sign the petition. If parking fees for motorcycles goes ahead here, you can guarantee one council will set a precedent for other councils "justifying" fees to be a nationwide thing.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Keep Wellington motorcycling free - sign the petition! started by davebullet View original post
    Comments 301 Comments
      davebullet -
      A good protest (not an original idea I know) would be to pay and take up car parks at popular areas at the same time of day. Yes - I said pay (to be almost legal) which would save money in the long run (a little spent in protest to save a lot later).

Although some may feel this might alienate car drivers, if the right banners were put together such as "council wants us to use paid parks!" "keep it free and out of your way" - we might be able to on-side cage drivers.
      riffer -
      Quote Originally Posted by davebullet View Post
      A good protest (not an original idea I know) would be to pay and take up car parks at popular areas at the same time of day. Yes - I said pay (to be legal) which would save money in the long run (a little spent in protest to save a lot later).

Although some may feel this might alienate car drivers, if the right banners were put together such as "council wants us to use paid parks!" "keep it free and out of your way" - we might be able to on-side cage drivers.

It would be a good idea but they introduced a by-law to make this illegal after we tried it last time. Motorcycles CANNOT park in Welly car parks.
      davebullet -
      Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
      It would be a good idea but they introduced a by-law to make this illegal after we tried it last time. Motorcycles CANNOT park in Welly car parks.
      Yeah- good point. realised that and edited to say almost legal.
      cheshirecat -
      If WCC are really committed to green/sub as per their policy statements, to jump to public transport (which according to this research) is inaccurate thinking. The research applies to the UK so how it works here with 60 year old (almost deserted outside rush hrs) trains makes their transport policy even less viable.

It therefore makes bikes That much more relevant and important to the green/sub message they wish to give to world.
      BRONZ Spokesperson -
      The Official BRONZ position on this matter is:

WCC have alluded to the fact that they may decide to charge for motorcycle parking in Wellington City.

BRONZ were notified of this by email with an invitation for BRONZ, as well as other motorcycling representatives nominated by Council, to participate in discussions with Senior WCC Parking Officers, as a first step in consultation on future changes to the parking systems in Wellington. It was alluded to that motorcycles may be charged for their parking on street or moved into parking buildings for nominally set fees as well as other changes including time-limited spaces in retail areas.

BRONZ believes this may be a test case for Nation-wide changes to motorcycle parking protocols and standards with Wellington as the first to fall.

While this is definitely a Wellington issue we believe all motorcycling groups throughout the nation need to put their collective weight behind BRONZ Wellington and their allies MAG NZ to ensure this is stopped DEAD.

The meeting will be held early February. Watch this thread for updates.

Confirmed attendees are:

BRONZ Wellington
      MAG-NZ
      Ulysses

Yet to be confirmed are:
      WIMA

We thank you all for your support in this situation.

The BRONZ Federation on behalf of Wellington Branch.
      StoneY -
      Quote Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
      Who are these WCC people - do they have names?
      Yes there is a name behind this, but the way these things work we are far better off awaiting the initial discussions before we go headhunting

A lot of hot heads would start contacting the guy(s) directly and make the situation far worse, more hostile, and harder for BRONZ and MAG etc to make a real impact

Lets approach this one in a professional manner...at least until we call the troops in to make some noise if genuine consultation methods fail us
      cheshirecat -
      Quote Originally Posted by StoneY View Post
      Yes there is a name behind this, but the way these things work we are far better off awaiting the initial discussions before we go headhunting

A lot of hot heads would start contacting the guy(s) directly and make the situation far worse, more hostile, and harder for BRONZ and MAG etc to make a real impact

Lets approach this one in a professional manner...at least until we call the troops in to make some noise if genuine consultation methods fail us
      HI,

Yes I agree with you though the above might not have seemed it!
      I've also been following the London Westminster bike thing - I was there during one of their demos and bought a flouro vest. It's been interesting to see how they deal with the public are to draw out the offending council folk into the puiblic eye/media - they don't like that.

Any way you have my support - good luck, you're doing a great job.
      Dodgy1 -
      Good work guys...Petition signed.....
      KZ440 -
      It seems that a valid address is mandatory and will be published. I don't see that this is necessary, and if it is, then it should not be published. I get enough spam now.
      I support you guys but can't sign the petition. Sorry.
      scissorhands -
      Email is not published but required for validity purpose's. Signed.

Bunch of c**ts
      BMWST? -
      signed....
      FatHead -
      I currently pay for a parking spot in a building in Wellington due to not being able to find a park most days when I commute in but still think that parking on the street for most of the parks should be free for all day parkers if they can get there early enough. I do agree it would be good to have some time restricted parks for those of us who wish to shoot across town to pick something up during the day(still don't know how this will be policed).

Agree that they will have a hard job policing all the parks and expect that policing would cost more than what is taken in fees.

Lets hope the petition works.

Oh and get off John's back he did do the right thing by us when they started cracking down on the sidewalk parking, he could have just said sod the lot of them and started ticketing but worked with the motorcyclists and parking buildings etc to get a a fair outcome for all and then ticketed those who didnt take a blind bit of notice. I for one applaude his pragmnatic approach on that occasion.
      StoneY -
      Quote Originally Posted by KZ440 View Post
      It seems that a valid address is mandatory and will be published. I don't see that this is necessary, and if it is, then it should not be published. I get enough spam now.
      I support you guys but can't sign the petition. Sorry.
      Dude its a legal requirement for the petition and I guarantee there is no spam list your added to
      Council only need to verify your real, and not a bot, or a double signatory
      You recieve a single e-mail with a confirmation link

NO ONE gets access to the e-mail, not even the bloke who opened the petition

Hope that helps???
      LogFish -
      Signed and forwarded, the email address is only published on the hardcopy.

Don't frequent this forum often, but am glad to read this thread lacks most of the militant mentality - keep it up, that kind of thing makes the collective 'us' look like a bunch of ignorant hoons, which probably does more harm than good.

Also, I presume someone's already thought on this, but if you can find a way to give scooter commuters a voice that'd help a lot too - they've got just as much in this and there's plenty of them.

Ty BRONZ for heading it up!
      BMWST? -
      Quote Originally Posted by StoneY View Post
      Yes one of the subjects to be discussed with WCC at a 'casual discussion' I am privelledged enough to be attending for BRONZ is time limited zones in the central CBD, which alone is not too bad a prospect.
      Been down that argument path with John Visser in the 2009 parking thread, and John actually got us more parks created in the end (good bloke, saw the light)

But they have also eluded to either paying for all day slots, or moving us into parking buildings.... they also tried telling me and Riffer Motorcycles are not reducing congestion because we crash too much, and we damage the environment because we dont have catalytic converters on enough bikes...OMG!

1300+ bikes a day, become cars if we have to pay.
      (Ok slight exageration but you get the drift)
      Bikes also can GARANTEE 50% occupancy, and the lane spliiting crowd DEFINITLEY assist traffic flow, legally or otherwise

Points we all know allready obviously
      what a load of anglican wastewater.......so 99 percent of our bikes dont have cats,what proportion of cars do?Cats actually slightly DECREASE efficiency albeit cleaning up what does come out.
      ciaocibai -
      Signed. I've also contacted my local councilor to let them know my thoughts on the issue. It can't hurt them to know some constituents strongly object to these moves.

You can find the contact details for your local representative here: http://www.wellington.govt.nz/about/mayor/index.html - although I suppose we should try and keep things toned down until this meeting in early February.

I contacted my local MP (Peter Dunne) as well - his secretary at least - and they said they would share my concerns with the council.

Good work on organising the petition. Was just over 100 when I signed yesterday, and past 700 when I checked earlier this morning.
      StoneY -
      Just gone over 900 sigs team keep it up!!!!
      Zookey -
      Welly welly welly,i like the place# BUT. Good lord You must have one of the only towns that have free motorbike parking,there sure arnt any in the Bay,. What a carry on .next ya all wont chains ta tie down ya bikes,
      Pascal -
      Quote Originally Posted by davebullet View Post
      Do your bit by signing the "keep it free" petition
      Jesus signed your petition. You're set, mate. Oh, and I've signed too.
      Dustydog -
      Auckland tried this with trying to charge parking at Westhaven Marina for yachties cars who were already paying over the top fees for their marina berths. These councils can be greedy bastards and must be stopped. All this does is keep their gin cabinets stocked up.
  • Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events