View RSS Feed

scuzeme

Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#6

Rate this Entry
Well we now are looking back at round 4 of the 09 VMCC Winter Series, and the up and coming round 5 will mark 1 year of racing for Team Ginger Nuts, its gone extremely quick.
I must give the big ups to Russell and Sue as they were instrumental in getting me on the starters grid at round 5 last year, what a fantastic day coming away with the Clubmans B ribbon for the days racing an the biggest grin you have ever seen only to crash out and brake my arm at Round 6!
Almost a year on and I feel im only just now beginning to understand how to interperete my bike, my head and actually start strategizing my races.
Its taken this long for me to realize that its not all about being the fastest or the most skilled rider out there, you cannot rely on skill alone to win races there are many other contributing factors including a smart head, let me share my “Racers Epiphany” with you;

QUALIFYING is just as important as the race.
Ive recognized the importance of qualifying well in this last round, in past races I haven’t gone all out to get good grid position, but the fact is much of the days racing is determined by where you qualify, trying to pass bikes in front chews up your lap times and allows the guys a couple of bikes ahead to pull away out of striking distance quickly.
A good grid position tied to a great start can make your job a hell of a lot easier by the time the dust settles out of turn one, there’s nothing more frustrating than knowing your quicker than the guy two bikes infront when the guy one bike infront of you keeps blocking your lines.

PSYCHING out the competition really works.
Call it fun, jibbing or ribbing, intimidation or just plain bullying, playing with your competitors head does have an effect.
Coming round the left hand sweeper back onto the short track in qualifying J Galway cut up through the inside of me where there was no room it scared that shyte out of me.
Another rider came up beside me on the dummy grid leaned over me and did this really strange laugh lol almost like a taunt it weirded me out haha.
I myself started to give one of my racer mates the fingers each time I got infront of him all in good fun and we had a laugh but it must have been frustrating, psyching none the less.

RACE LINE offensive and defensive
When your in front you decide the line, so you can take the fastest line or block a good line or slow down to upset the tailing riders rhythm in the corner, the key is to keep your nose in front, the nose has the right of way, you can even stop faster riders from getting infront of you when you own the race line.
More experienced riders will know how to get round you just ask J Galway but the less experienced riders which may be faster will be held up to their detriment and your advantage.

One things for sure the faster you go the higher the stakes and the less margin for error. You have a long time to think when going round the left hand extension on the Manfeild long track, can I go a little faster? can I lean a little further? yes you can until your front wheel tucks 

Finally let me reiterate that’s this is my racing diary made up of my experiences and observations, the way I see it may not necessarily be the way it actually is so don’t be too hard on the old fella.

Cheers No# 75

Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#6" to Digg Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#6" to del.icio.us Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#6" to StumbleUpon Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#6" to Google Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#6" to reddit Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#6" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments