View RSS Feed

scuzeme

Confessions of a 40 year old racer No# 8

Rate this Entry
Well there you have it, my very first race series completed, heaps of thrills and a few spills but no broken bones thank God.
This series has been a steep learning curve and an expensive one, all in all ive thoroughly enjoyed my time out there and cant wait for the next meeting on the race calender.
Its so seriously addictive once you get out there and start carving it up, and it becomes more so once you start out performing your rivals and friends and getting some good placings.
I have met people from a broad spectrum of life that come together over a single minded passion having fun but not without the odd drama that comes with adrenalin and av gas fuelled competition.
Some racers will just rock on up to the meetings and have a determined plonk other racers will use each meeting as another move in a very prolonged chess game, its all very fun to watch from in amongst it all.

Finally ive started to make some significant improvements especially in the last 2 rounds of the winter series and true to my individual form ive always been a slow starter. Sometimes its been frustrating watching my fellow competitors just seem to fly ahead and seamlessly melt lap times while I struggled to knock out an extra tenth of a second but like growing a beard sometimes it’s a matter of waiting.
I know im gunna get faster, it may not happen as fast as its happening to the next guy but its gunna happen.

Have you noticed that many racers do have a natural skill and they take to the track like a duck takes to water and they can ride the shit out of any piece of shit and make it work for them.
Then there’s guys like me that have a reasonable machine but no “off the bat natural talent”, guys like me have to use their brain, and maybe that’s the problem, we think too much instead of feeling it! I have learnt a hell of a lot this year, some of it has been good advice, some of it has been hit and miss but most of it has been just getting out on the track and doing it.

Racing aside the thing I think ive most enjoyed about the winter series is meeting people, being helped by people and helping people when I could.
I can honestly say that I haven’t met one person that I didn’t like this year in the scene, some of the top racers I have found a little stand offish but they must get sick of the noobs asking dumb questions and sniffing around their pits all the time.
I just want to say thanks again to everyone that gave me advice or lent a tool or a tyre or changed a tyre for me over the winter series its made me want to do the same for others, I understand what its like to start doing something being completely clueless standing around scratching your head LOL.

This is my last blog as a 40 year old racer because im now 1 year older.
All the best to all you racers for the future and see you out there for some exiting Christmas racing and up and coming events in the new year.

Cheers and peace out.

Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No# 8" to Digg Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No# 8" to del.icio.us Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No# 8" to StumbleUpon Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No# 8" to Google Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No# 8" to reddit Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No# 8" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hey Darrin,
    I enjoy your reports and blogs. I don't often check peoples blogs but have dipped into yours a couple of times now. There is some similarity to our approaches I think and I am a fan of the systematic aproach. One of my struggles is striking the balance between the "science" of riding and the sheer joy of it. At times I'm like a movie critic who can't enjoy the movie because I'm overanalysing it, at other times I'm so busy enjoying the movie, I forget to pay attention to the technical aspects that would help me make good movies.
    Keep the reports and blogs coming.
    Clive