View RSS Feed

maxf

What would you take for a touring ride - remember to

Rate this Entry
OK, for those that want to "fill their car" with what I'd recommend as fairly bog std crap for long-ish touring rides (ex the Chch Weds Night Rides thread after I reminded them that a tyre kit wasn't a bad idea and then someone did a clutch cable too & then they got all smart-ass):

Yeah, well I do carry one of those too - don't want the 6-weeks-ex-germany-its-unobtainium-otherwise BS I'd get via Murphys' law if i didn't have one!... But I thought I'd already lectured the obvious too much already... Sorry I wasn't there for you!

For posterity & newbies: IMHO what to stick somewhere if you're planning a (touring) trip:

- hazard lights or road triangle (murphys law- you'll be stuck somewhere where there's no verge at the bottom of a crappy bend!)
- something to stick under the sidestand when on grass
- wet weather gear (duh, but sometimes the riding suit isn't as waterproof when the rain is down, not side-on)
- map - no point in calling for help and not knowing how to get them to you
- phone - CHARGED
- lock (in case you have to leave your beloved behind somewhere, at least you can tell the insurance you tried!)
- some cash (not all taxis have eftpos or Visa)
- tyre plug kit & reinflator cartridges - good ones, as above. Check them to make sure they aren't perished/dried out. Don't ask how I know.
- light kit, as above, fuses, as above. Garage selections are usually abysmal. Small alcohol wipes stashed with any halogen bulbs - then you can replace without risking the replacement exploding, wasting your $30-$50 and forcing a dismantle to empty the headlight!
- good torch, teeth-friendly when you're short on hands. Personally also have a little hookup light I can run off the cigarette lighter socket; all helps on the side of the road!
- rag for the hands afterwards (your gloves will love you, taxi won't charge you)
- duct tape & electrical tape (electric's more waterproof
- selection of cable ties - good ones that don't stretch/snap
- multitool with knife for the tapes & cutter for ties
- special tools to get whatever off on your bike - spanners, allen keys, good screwdriver
- good tyre pressure gauge, and m/c neck adaptor (90deg) if you wheels need it
- manual - or very good knowledge - for your bike

If you do do any roadside loving, remember:
- put all the loose stuff into a pot (helmet?) so you don't lose the critical last screw
- keep the helmet on if in traffic
- almost certainly you won't think it's such a good place to stop when the first heavy truck goes by - if in doubt, move it
- some areas are water-free zones - don't push your luck during/before rain and wonder why now NOTHING works
- don't get in too deep. Petrol is still explosive, the exhaust is still hot & the battery still sparks, the bike is still sharp, pointy & heavy.
- always check for free steering (no binds, no throttle/clutch/brake response from moving the handlebars) & engine stop - basic safety stuff we take for granted
- jury-rigged still has to be "of a warrantable state", if not for PC then probably for the insurance assessor if the very worst happened (and it might be your left-overs dropping off into someone elses' path damaging their car, not your bike)

Here endeth the lesson. Hope someone reads it!

Submit "What would you take for a touring ride - remember to" to Digg Submit "What would you take for a touring ride - remember to" to del.icio.us Submit "What would you take for a touring ride - remember to" to StumbleUpon Submit "What would you take for a touring ride - remember to" to Google Submit "What would you take for a touring ride - remember to" to reddit Submit "What would you take for a touring ride - remember to" to Facebook

Comments