View RSS Feed

Project Popup

Special Preview just for Kiwibikers -- my speech to Parliament today

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
Kia Ora Katoa, Hello, my name is Simon Gotlieb, and I’m a motorcyclist.

I’d like to let you know how we got involved in all this and why we’re here today…

In October last year, the government announced that motorcyclists were to pay up to 400% increases in their ACC levies on registrations. Obviously this was unwelcome news, and we immediately began protesting, and investigating the reasoning behind such a huge increase. Very quickly it was found to be based on grossly distorted statistics and actual lies. Soon after, we found that ACC had many other user groups in their spotlight for big increases, reduced cover and other things to soften us up to lose our no-fault accident treatment system. We began warning the country with our “Who’s Next?” campaign.

ACC and the minister, Nick Smith, countered this with repeated falsehoods in an attempt to discredit and marginalise motorcyclists and their protest. ACC used YOURS and MY money to run an anti-motorcyclist propaganda ad in national papers – before the submission process closed. Those same newspapers all over the country labeled us as ‘angry bikers’ but refused to print the exposed misinformation. Hundreds of ‘Letters to the Ed’ exposing the lies from ACC and Nick Smith went unprinted. Although some leading journalists did investigate and write good articles, no major media coverage happened.

They thought we’d go away in time.

But still we won’t be quiet.

And now?

Slowly the public is becoming aware of just how much extra is going to be taken in all areas of ACC collections. For most earners, this will be in the nature of $400-500 EXTRA every year, just whipped out of your wages. Plus, your car registration will jump by about $30, and your annual petrol bill will increase by around $220. And all the while, at the entitlement end, there are going to be cuts. Now we agree with removing payouts to those injured in a criminal act. And we could all help them sort out the few people ripping off the system - who'd be doing it to private insurers too. But that’s about it.

You may have heard that ACC is broke? It’s not. After all expenses last year, they posted a profit (surplus) of $1.2 BILLION. Coupled with a record $11 BILLION in reserves. In spite of the recession, this year their reserves have grown to some $14 BILLION.

The government claims that motorcyclist injuries cost $62M in 2008.

Actually, the figure is not even half that. $40M is for ongoing expenses for injuries sustained in previous years and covered by levies collected in previous years.

So – it actually cost $24M in 2008, and we paid $12.3M in levies collected from M/c regos. This left about $12M in costs not covered by those levies PLUS expected ongoing costs into the future from injuries sustained in 2008. Well, that figure is a little more difficult to be certain of, but $16M is not unlikely. Therefore the shortfall is in the nature of $30M.

Now no-one would deny that $30M is a lot of money.

But…

First remember motorcyclists didn't cause a lot of those accidents.

Second, the government were claiming that car owners were subsidising m/c by $77 each...

There are over 3M registered non-motorcycle vehicles. If we multiply 3M by $77 we get $239M. Yet the ‘subsidised shortfall’ is $30M? Simple arithmetic tells us that the actual subsidy is about $9.00. Further to this, there are over 400,000 m/c licence holders, but less than 100,000 m/c, which means that most bikers are actually car drivers and most pay levies on more than one vehicle. If 80% of motorcyclists also pay full ACC on their cars, that means motorcyclists are paying more than their fair share. Can you work that one out?
The government says that ACC can’t afford m/c payouts from the motor vehicle fund…
In 2008 $37M was claimed from this fund by cyclists and pedestrians, who were injured by vehicles on the road. Only 1 motorcycle was that other vehicle. Who paid the levies to cover these people’s injuries? Not them!

The government says ACC wants to hit ‘big’ bikes harder...

Where is the proof that this is necessary? MOT’s own statistical collating procedures include a section for engine size. 43% were not recorded, and of the 57% that were, 250cc was the standout capacity involved in accidents.

The government says that ACC want to be open, honest and transparent...

How can this be, when none of their claims can be substantiated, in fact most if not all can be proved wrong? They say their figures have been checked by ‘someone’ in Sydney and apparently they wanted to charge the motorcycle advocacy group BRONZ $10,000 for access to the statistics that they used. Yet every piece of information I’ve used was gathered from stats on their own website and is there for anyone to see.

And if they want to be so open and honest, why is there a clause in the latest ACC bill that allows them to opt out of any further consultation?

ACC isn’t trouble free. But it’s a long way from broke. All these increases and entitlement removals are for one reason only – to prepare ACC to be sold to private, offshore insurance companies. Privatising; in other words. Nobody will be better off. Except big business. And the lawyers, due to the inevitable court cases that we currently avoid under the system we’ve had since 1974. It wasn’t better before ACC and it isn’t going to be any better after it.

But don’t take our word for it. Do some investigating of your own.
Contact your local MPs. All of them. Ask the direct questions.

Ask them why we have to pay more for less.

Submit "Special Preview just for Kiwibikers -- my speech to Parliament today" to Digg Submit "Special Preview just for Kiwibikers -- my speech to Parliament today" to del.icio.us Submit "Special Preview just for Kiwibikers -- my speech to Parliament today" to StumbleUpon Submit "Special Preview just for Kiwibikers -- my speech to Parliament today" to Google Submit "Special Preview just for Kiwibikers -- my speech to Parliament today" to reddit Submit "Special Preview just for Kiwibikers -- my speech to Parliament today" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments