View RSS Feed

Throttle

Norton Oil Problem

Rate this Entry
My brother has a lovely Norton Commando, 72 I think. Anyway the bike had a recent oil change however between draining the old oil and refilling, several days had gone by. Now the oil return line sputters a little oil and a lot of air when the engine ticks over. Also, the filter was replaced, he is rechecking the unit to ensure it is the correct one. We suspect there is an airlock in the oil system somewhere. Any suggestions on how to get the old girl to pump oil again?

Thanks.

Submit "Norton Oil Problem" to Digg Submit "Norton Oil Problem" to del.icio.us Submit "Norton Oil Problem" to StumbleUpon Submit "Norton Oil Problem" to Google Submit "Norton Oil Problem" to reddit Submit "Norton Oil Problem" to Facebook

Comments

They are dry sump,and the return pump usually has twice the capacity of the feed pump.So it will always be sucking air.That's perfectly normal - rev it up and you should see more oil and less air,but it will always have air in the return line.If it hasn't then there is too much oil in the crankcase.

Put this in the main forum under Classic bikes or engine/trans and you will get a better response.
    Thanks, I think that is exactly whats happening. Will see if oil/air ratio changes when revved up.