View RSS Feed

taff1954

Shock to the System

Rate this Entry
I'd gone down with a heavy cold and bad chest, so headed up to see my GP. The doc duly examines me, sure thing, a bout of bronchitis. Antibiotics, paracetamol, week off work. Sorted. Hang on a minute he says, I'd like you to go get a Cardio-vascular disease risk assesment done.

Now generally I keep reasonably good health, so I was a wee bit worried as to why a doctor would want me to do that.

His answer was simple. Because you're somewhat over 55. Who? Me? Never. Oh, hang on, I am!! Now I know when I was born, how many years ago that was, but it's never registered that that's how old I am. A right shock to the system it was.

I got home and told the wife what the doc had said. Her reaction was 'When did that happen?'

I read a great quote a while back. You don't get old and stop riding, you get old because you've stopped riding. I figure that's what's happened. I've been so busy living my life and riding a motorcycle, that I'd forgotten that I was getting older.

I think I'll avoid visiting the doctor for a while. I'm not sure my old heart can handle another shock like that.

Submit "Shock to the System" to Digg Submit "Shock to the System" to del.icio.us Submit "Shock to the System" to StumbleUpon Submit "Shock to the System" to Google Submit "Shock to the System" to reddit Submit "Shock to the System" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Haha very amusing. Good to hear others stunned by the passing of time! I hear myself giving my age with incredulity. Acc to PF- " the sun is the same in a relative way but you're older..etc" . Had an awesome track day recently. Gonna persist with denial as long as possible.
    My wife who truned 51 today was told by kids " you are the same age as my Nana but shes OLDER" -She was really chuffed
    gidday 4 years ago i went to doc i was getting tired ,sent to heart spec 4 blockages need surgery
    4stents later and on pills im feeling good ,riding my bike when i can still working ,full time turned 63 last month ,so get it checked, amazing wot they can do these days regards