View RSS Feed

Phreak

Part 3... and a change of plans...

Rate this Entry
So, got to catch up with heaps of friends in Wellington, between rain-drops - the whole riding in the rain thing kinda sucks when my gear most definitely ISN'T waterproof... This morning, however, God decided to smile down on us and provided an absolutely gorgeous day! Sun shining again, hardly a breath of wind, and I made the decision to head back home early...

The reason for this is that a really good friend of mine in Wellington was really strapped for cash, needed to pay some pretty serious bills - the full saga. So, me being the nice guy and good friend that I am, I decided that the money that was going to be spent on the continuation of my trip would be much better served helping out someone in need, so I offered to help out and cut my little holiday short. I figure, I can take another holiday again soon, but I would like to think that if I were in need my friends would help out too...?

So, that done, instead of heading towards the Hawkes Bay today I am now back at my Dad's place in New Plymouth, heading back for home in Auckland tomorrow. But I don't regret my decision in the slightest - today was a fantastic ride!

Left Petone after filling up with gas and supplies at about 11am, in light traffic, and got onto the northern motorway pretty quickly. Atop the Ngauranga gorge (the view of the harbour was amazing unlike when I arrived a few days ago!), I was passed by a fellow biker on a nice looking cruiser, kinda looked like a new 'hog. Not entirely sure what it was but it was loud...! I decided to stick behind him through traffic, all the way to Otaki, where he pulled off right at the roundabout after the shops, whilst I continued straight and north. Have to say, big thanks to this gentleman; I love it when you meet up with another 'two wheels enthusiast' on the road, and can simply enjoy not being out in the open alone! Had a kind of near-miss when a lady pulled out in front of me from my left and then decided to take a right turn (slowing down as I was wondering where she was going) - BUT she did give me an "I'm sorry!" wave when she realized what she had done. I had to slow down abruptly, and with the other bike behind me I hope I didn't give him a scare! I'm sure I didn't, as he seemed to just pull around me without a problem, but just thought I should say thanks to him anyways. Gave him a friendly beep on my horn when he pulled off to which he gave me a wave - just goes to show that the owners of different styles of bikes CAN appreciate each other!

So, carried on after this through to Levin, where I stopped for a quick lunch at McDonalds (which was full of kids just finished their Saturday sports games!), then on to Wanganui. Stopped in for a gas (and comfort) stop at the BP in the middle of the city, had a bit of a chat with the old guy on the cashier - really nice chap too! He said they get quite a few bikes come through, but made special mention that he liked my CBR...! :-)

Onwards and upwards, thinking that the roadworks were going to be nightmare again - but pleasantly surprised that I didn't get held up at all! (of course, it's Saturday! Even road-workers get weekends! LOL) Straight sailing the whole way through, hardly any traffic on the road at all. Carried on to Stratford, with the sun now in my eyes I decided to stop at the Shell station on the main street, only because my butt was getting really sore! Pulled in beside the air-pump, and thought to myself "really should check my pressures" - rear was at 29 and front was at 21... Hmmmm... pumped both up to 32 - not sure what they should be at actually! Figured 32 would be okay, but if anyone knows any better, let me know? Thanks! Suffice to say, they definitely felt harder when I got back on the road...!

A quick jaunt up the road to New Plymouth, and into my Dad's garage. I actually thought I'd be a bit more sore after the ride - I usually get pretty sore in my lower back and my arms - but I must be getting used to long rides now cause I feel perfectly fine! :-)

Anyways, back to Auckland tomorrow, so will update again either tomorrow night or Monday, and guess what? I still have another week of holidays to go!

For those of you that are wondering, I had planned on going to Napier today, and then Taupo, then Tauranga and the Mount, then back to Auckland via the Waikato. Well, that was the plan... Maybe next time.

Matter of fact, next time I decide to go for a ride around the country, I will give some more notice and maybe meet up with other fellow 'bikers in their own home towns?

Till then, ride safe!

Submit "Part 3... and a change of plans..." to Digg Submit "Part 3... and a change of plans..." to del.icio.us Submit "Part 3... and a change of plans..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Part 3... and a change of plans..." to Google Submit "Part 3... and a change of plans..." to reddit Submit "Part 3... and a change of plans..." to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hmm 32psi is probably a bit low - have a look on the tyre sidewalls for recommended pressures but I ran 36F/42R on my 250 Hornet and the same now on the VFR, so that's probably a good start point. You'll definitely notice the difference. I find the bike feels totally different (in a bad way) once they drop more than about 5psi, so yeah, 29 on the rear it would have been squirming a bit. Have a good rest of the trip!

Edit: just noticed the date you'll be back by now. Hope it was fun!