View RSS Feed

Phreak

Part 4, and home again.

Rate this Entry
Finally found the time to write down the events on the last leg of my (short) trip away, being the return trip home from New Plymouth...

Left Dad's place at about lunch-time on Sunday, after a long talking to from Dad about the need for effective wet weather gear when riding... Yup, thanks Dad, I'm sick of being wet and cold and miles from anywhere warm! That said, I'm definitely keen to get my hands on a full new set of 'winter' gear, if anyone knows of where I can get good deals...

Anyway, back to the trip... Filled the bike up at the Shell on the way out of N.P (very friendly staff again!) and headed off. Happily cruising along on my own, through the hills heading north, when I spot a group of sports-bikes parked in a rest area just off the road. Quick decision, I pull up for a break too, only to realise that they are just about to leave. Okay, cool! They race off, and I continue on my way, losing sight of them pretty quickly... Through Mokau I see a whole big bunch of cruisers parked along the road, get a couple of waves from their riders as I pass.

Not sure the name of the beach, or the road, but coming down a long straight hill after Mokau, there is a little rest area right beside the beach with an absolutely spectacular view - so I pull in for a break. Shortly behind me an adventure rider pulls in too, and we exchange pleasantries. He heads off while I clean my visor, and then I get back on the road. Bugger all traffic on the road, so I'm having a bit of fun taking corners a little wider than usual, leaning right into the corners, just enjoying the ride!

After a quick gas stop and munch in Te Kuiti, I pass through Otorohanga, and Te Awamutu (where I grew up), and head into Hamilton. The bike is running sweet as I make my way up the new motorway extensions that used to be Avalon Drive (used to work at the Caltex on Avalon) and onwards North to Auckland. Stop for a drink at a Shell, decide to try calling my brother who lives in Ngaruwahia (I think) but he's not answering so I decide to just keep going. Leaving Hamilton, the rain starts again and before long I'm pretty soaked again. Dammit!

Stopping in just about every town I pass to try and keep some warmth in my fingertips, time is definitely getting on and I'm wishing I had left Dad's earlier... Get to Mercer and it's well dark, so pull into the gas station (Mobil?) just off the motorway, and have a laugh with the attendant about the rain. He's stoked, says he wants to take his new ute out paddock bashing! I laugh, thinking how good it is that he can make the best out of even crappy weather like this. After about half an hour of drying out and getting warm again, I get back onto the motorway, only to be cold and wet within about ten minutes again!

Once past the Bombay hills the rain abates, and the traffic builds. Resign myself to just press on, and get some new waterproof gloves at least as soon as I get home (I get paid tomorrow, CycleTreads can expect me around lunchtime-ish!)

Delighted to see the Sky Tower loom into view finally after about five and a half hours on the road, this puts a big smile on my face as its stopped raining completely now and I'm so close to home I can feel the warmth of my house beckoning...! Before long I'm parked in my garage, thanking my bike for a very memorable trip, and heading inside to find my flatmate (God bless you!!!) has the fire going, the house is SOOOOO nice and warm, and even offer to make me a hot cuppa! Gotta love it!

In retrospect, I am glad to say that I enjoyed every second of being out and about exploring this beautiful country that we call home. I would like to thank all the folks I encountered on the road, and hope to do it all again real soon.

Big thanks to my Dad for all the wisdom shared! Bigger thanks to the K.B.ers for their comments and words of advice.

Till next time, ride safe!

Submit "Part 4, and home again." to Digg Submit "Part 4, and home again." to del.icio.us Submit "Part 4, and home again." to StumbleUpon Submit "Part 4, and home again." to Google Submit "Part 4, and home again." to reddit Submit "Part 4, and home again." to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good on you mate !! Rain sucks but you have experienced an awesome ride & had a great time doing it what was the total km's travelled ??
    Excellent wright up. Very much enjoyed reading it.
    Total Kms traveled was just over 1500. And for a 20 year old bike, I think that's a bit of an achievement, considering she never missed a beat!
    I really enjoyed reading about your trip. Wish it could have been longer so I could read more