View RSS Feed

StoneY

Sigh... bloody Ducati servicing

Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
Well, after my last blog entry Sissy the ST4 has had very little use (by my standards anyway) having only moved 2,600kms since her 'valve check' was done, oil filters tune blah blah.

On a run over the Pahiatua Track yesterday we noticed a few fresh spots under the bike, and a big black drip hanging off the paddock stand mount.
Having asked my 'regular' service agent to look into this issue before, (twice no less) and being told it was 'chain splatter, its nothing of concern' (they steam cleaned the area and ran her and checked again to be fair) I decided to head to a Ducati dealership for a health check on the bike.

Lo and behold, the hydraulic assembly where the clutch 'slave cylinder' is located was leaking hydraulic fluid... (at least it was not engine oil, but holy shit)...an issue I had asked more than once be investigated!

I actually picked this up when I had owned the bike for like a week and took it into the agent I got it from, cleaned, told 'it's no leak, its chain lube, don't put so much on'

So I let the chain run drier than I would like, so when we saw the fresh fluid build-up I was a bit pissed off.
NO WAY this was chain lube..... yes some lube was being washed off by the hydraulic fluid but no it was NOT chain splatter

Result is, new slave cylinder assembly required (no its not a replaceable seal, its pressed into the unit ffs) and having done hard speeds on a less than fully lubed chain, (that was getting hydraulic fluid dripped on it) the sprockets and chain are in need of replacement......soon at least anyway if not when the slave cylinder gets done.

What have I learned from this?

a: Do NOT let someone convince you its 'chain splatter' when your sure its got a source of flow, follow up and hassle the fuck out of the shop while the bikes UNDER WARRANTY!

b: Never run ya chain with less lube than you KNOW is right, (god I feel like a noob!)

c: Stick to the dealership that holds the franchise as far as servicing goes. These guys instantly knew where the leak was and why, and no one there tried telling me it was 'lube splatter'... they popped the cylinder off and showed me the failure!

Had I stood my ground 8 months back, this issue would be covered by warranty, sales agreements, blah blah blah.
Now...I face yet another 500 bucks of service cost that I could have avoided, and a new chain, new cogs (add another 500) and top it off, the rear Tyre is due too!!!!! (coincidentally)

I LOVE riding my Ducati, I love the looks it gets, I love the sound it makes, I love the way it handles....
.............I fucking LOATH the cost of keeping it alive.

Between the servicing costs, the re-paint needed (due to being vandalized by a fat drunken pathetic loser who most of ya know on these forums as The Black Stig) I am so over the Ducati factor......

Time to bring on the Daytona!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submit "Sigh... bloody Ducati servicing" to Digg Submit "Sigh... bloody Ducati servicing" to del.icio.us Submit "Sigh... bloody Ducati servicing" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sigh... bloody Ducati servicing" to Google Submit "Sigh... bloody Ducati servicing" to reddit Submit "Sigh... bloody Ducati servicing" to Facebook

Comments

Finding the perfect bike mechanic is a hard road ...
    ducati's have there idiosyncrasies but the agents are (normally) on to it, all be it at a price !
    DAytonna..............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....now u talking.
    What kind of a Daytona are you looking at Stoney? I came within a whisker of buying a Superduke last week. In fact if the dealer had been prepared to dicker even a little he'd have had a sale... but he wasn't so he didn't.
    I have a Super Duke myself mate you would not be unhappy with one trust me!
    The GSXR1100 is 20 ears old and sooo reliable.... the Super Duke runs like a dream, hard to keep wheel on the earth LOL.
    The Ducati...that's gonna become a 955 Speed Triple sometime later this year I swear on my garnma's tombstone!
    Unless ya wanna swap a trumpy for my Ducati?........ LOL
    wot are you saying a 955 is a better bike than the duc or is it just the cost of maintaining the duc? Why not a 1050 speedy?
    Thats why i own a wing Stoney. 2 1/2 years, almost 40k MILES. two sets of tyres and about 6 oil changes. All servicing I do myself.
    21 years old and it still purs along.
    @ sinned - the 955 model full fairing Daytona (2003 ish) appeals to me at a core 'you beauty' level. And yes its just the servicing mate I LOVE my Ducati...just over the cost of upkeep and the number of amateur mechanics that 'try' fix em....

The 955i of that shape will tick the Sport factor as well as make a nice touring ride. Perfect compromise, and grunty enough, and stylish......... as well as its time to tick the Triumph box on my bucket list... hehehehehe
    @ sinned - the 955 model full fairing Daytona (2003 ish) appeals to me at a core 'you beauty' level. And yes its just the servicing mate I LOVE my Ducati...just over the cost of upkeep and the number of amateur mechanics that 'try' fix em....

The 955i of that shape will tick the Sport factor as well as make a nice touring ride. Perfect compromise, and grunty enough, and stylish......... as well as its time to tick the Triumph box on my bucket list... hehehehehe
    And I do prefer the full fairings over the street naked look................ my KTM ticks that box
    Thought it might be the 955. Nice bike, nice noise, nice engine. Mate of mine had one for exactly the purpose you're proposing.

I remember your SD from the Weds night rides. After riding around the block last weekend and hitting gales around Eketahuna I decide naked bikes and long distances did not compute so went for a more sensible option.
    After I read the survival forum on here, it don't matter what bike I am on fairing, naked they don't move round at all.

Knee out on windward side, pressure down on opposite footpeg, and loose arms... we did a photo shoot in a force 8 gale the other week, and I was on the SD, handled it fine
    technique mate :-)
    Cheeky bugger ;-) Just the physical battering and nowhere to escape to is the problem for me. Was like being punched in the head over and over again. But yeah you've got the techniques right... guess Wellytonians learn pretty quickly.