View RSS Feed

Stink Racing

Skunk's Battle of the Buckets and Pre89 at Ruapuna

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
It's about time I did a race report I think.

Battle of the Buckets and Pre 89 at Ruapuna B track.

Thanks to Dave Trustrum I was able to attend this meeting. It's always good (though the weather was crap last time I went. A little snow never hurt anyone did it?) Great meeting, good track, and some good people. Tony and Sue put us up for the two nights - Sue even arranged a banquet in our honour. Very nice to meet you both, as well as Holly and Polly.

Good trip down with smooth sailing across the Strait on the BlueBridge. My first time with them and they were gentle. Friendly staff on the boat.

After arrival at 9pm at Tony's (where we were greeted by some random guy who thinks he's Dangerous) we got into race prep more and opened the beers and bourbons and started chatting until way too late... as you do.

The weather forecast had been for rain so the slight on/off drizzle in the morning was not unexpected but it was still unwelcome. I think my swearing at it made it go away as by the time we got to the track it had gone and we didn't see it again. Still, it left the track slippery and wet. I was looking forward to that with my 'super stick' Shinko rear on the LC.

Practice
Buckets - Opps, it's slippery. No, still slippery. Hey, I'm passing people under brakes. Cool. Opps, no - still slippery. And so on. But I didn't fall off and the Bucket ran well.

Pre89 - Yep, slippery when wet - stay on the dry line that's forming. Don't open the throttle to quick - that track is cold. Where are the brakes on this thing? It sure doesn't stop like the Bucket. And remember to back off a little at the kink. This doesn't handle like the Bucket either...

Race 1
Buckets - Shit start from the back (first up best dressed gridding) but passed Dave like he was standing still. Decided he must be having issues. Now it was a race everyone was going much faster. I was finding it hard to catch up through the infield so I had a chance to keep up down the straight. 11hp only does so much... I got past a few of the standard GP100 types as well as an FXR's but that was about it. Very happy overall.

Pre89 - Started off the back again and good a fair but not good start and ended up late mid pack at the kink. As I hadn't had my cup of cement yet I backed off and rode round the outside. Spent the rest of the race hunting down the bike in front and eventually passing it on the last of the 8 laps. Great fun.

Battle of the Buckets
By now the track was fairly dry. Started at the back of the field as I like to do and got a good start passing Dave like he was stationery again. He flew back past me before the hairpin... Started passing some of the bikes then found my pace. An FXR in front of me that I would slowly gain on then fall back from. And then gain on. The overall effect was gaining on him. Then Dennis Charlet's muffler fell off and he rode over it giving himself a puncture. Then came Gav clipping some tyres on the exit of the hairpin knocking them onto the track.
The flag marshal at that point put out a red flag but none of the other points did so I continued to the start/finish point and no red flag there either... Once more past the red flag (the track was now clear) and it's still the only one. But I put off, like everyone else has now decided to do, to find out what's up.
Sit on the dummy grid for a few minutes then we are off again - only I'm having trouble restarting the bike. I skip the warm and grid up at the back. Green flag and everyone is away. Only the bike feels slow. I can't catch anyone. Then the engine nips a bit so I call it quits and pull out. Shame. Four Battle of the Buckets and still only one finish. Good fun though.

Pre89 - To be honest I can't remember the race... Other than the bike cutting out onto one all the time. Pulled in and parked it up.

By now I was fielding offers in all directions of bikes to ride - Buckets and Pre89's.
Fools. I've just broken two bikes and you offer more?

Pre89 - I'm on Mike's yellow RD350LC. Slicks, good shocks and forks, good power delivery. I take it easy but I'm lovin' it! A little harsh for my weight but the handling and power are so sweet! Thanks Mike for an awesome ride!

Back to Tony and Sue's for the aforementioned Banquet and a earlier night.

Late start on Sunday and we bowl up to the track to be told that it's flooded - so no racing. Dave and I were so looking forward to getting out there and getting soaked.
No, really. We were. Honest.

Thanks must be to those who support Stink Racing - Ripe Coffee, Skunkworks and Skachill Racing Components.

Also thanks to Brendan and crew for all the work and effort I know it takes to do this sort of thing and to Tony, Sue and Mike for their generosity.

See you all at the Taupo Race Race or the next big Bucket Meet. There's the Two Hour in Auckland, Easter in Wellington and Battle of the Buckets in Christchurch. Get your shit sorted.

Submit "Skunk's Battle of the Buckets and Pre89 at Ruapuna" to Digg Submit "Skunk's Battle of the Buckets and Pre89 at Ruapuna" to del.icio.us Submit "Skunk's Battle of the Buckets and Pre89 at Ruapuna" to StumbleUpon Submit "Skunk's Battle of the Buckets and Pre89 at Ruapuna" to Google Submit "Skunk's Battle of the Buckets and Pre89 at Ruapuna" to reddit Submit "Skunk's Battle of the Buckets and Pre89 at Ruapuna" to Facebook

Comments