View RSS Feed

Gremlin's Tall Stories

Second Ever Trackday

Rate this Entry
Yip, it might come as a surprise to some, but I have only done one track day so far. People always think I've done more, but in reality, when I'm at the track I'm normally marshaling.

The track day was a Frosty one, full course Taupo, and I was aboard my ZX10R. Quite different to Hampton Downs and my KTM Supermoto. I knew the Hampton track layout, having marshaled, but braking points and some lines were a bit of a mystery.

It all started during the week. Devil, a good mate contacts me, saying he needs a marshal, was I free to assist? It was a marshal/ride spot, meaning two marshals on a point, figure it out between you during the day, no pay. I replied I was planning to ride to Cape Reinga, but if he really needed someone, I would help him out. I rang insurance on the Thursday, to make sure they would be OK with a Hampton Downs Ride Day, and they confirm I'm all good to go. Check in with Devil, and yep, I'm wanted (I'll bet the bugger stopped looking!) Raj was the other marshal, and he was happy to circulate in the faster groups, which left me the slower groups, which I wanted.

Saturday morning dawns ok. Not raining, but on the cold side. Slow (white) was out first, so a quick debrief by the instructor on hand and out we went in a cute little line. First lap, instructor gives us a points and best line overview, second lap, a little quicker. Third lap, he let's us pass one by one. A lap behind the rest, and I decide i would be happier at a higher pace, so overtook where safe and got some really nice laps in. Returned to the pits with the slight hint of tyre smell... looks like my brand new tyres (fitted only the day before, Friday) were being run in nicely

Let Raj out in yellow as he wanted a slower group to get a handle on the track (his first day too). Didn't take many laps before his bike was on fire, and he was back in. Didn't see him again until the beginning of white, apparently the guys were trying to replace the (burnt) bits. Missed the first part of white, but as I walked into the pits, it was red flagged due to a bike binning (after the first round of white, no bins, every other group had at least two bins). On with the gear and I queued up to get the rest of white. Another few laps still enjoying myself but not pushing too hard (too many had binned with a cold track or cold tyres, too hard on gas etc etc). End of white came, and I got to enjoy the novelty marshalling afforded me. I promptly rode to the back of yellow to jump back on track This was also in my favour. First couple of laps everyone was very timid with cold tyres. Mine were already warm so I resumed where I left off.

Yellow was a different kettle of fish. Couple of GSXR600 and the likes of R1, VTR1000 etc. Essentially, if they got on the gas hard out of the corner we were evenly matched. A frustrating experience as mates would comment later in the day from observing. I was heading into corners comfortably quicker than others and had more mid corner speed. Supermotos are not designed for straights however, and to pass I would have had to stuff it up their inside, which I had no intention of doing (a trackday after all). Throughout the day, I probably recorded a top speed around 185, even Toto was doing about 210 on his hornet 900. Back into the pits early (completely lost count of "6" laps, so probably pulled in after 5) to let Raj out to have a full play in a session. His bike wasn't ready, so once he was back it was another spin in half white and half yellow. Watching an R1 fail to pass a GSXR600 counted for several laps, almost the perfect block to letting me attempt to pass, but finally they split enough so I could get the R1 then the GSXR600. Weather chopped and changed between dry lines and great pace to damp, translating to caution.

Raj went out in green and red a bit, then as I waited for him to return at the start of white... he tooted his horn... while exiting pit lane. The bugger stole my white and yellow (tooting again at the start of yellow), but after that he returned, stating he was done for the day and I could have what I liked (several sessions of white and yellow remaining). Passing GSXR600's resumed. Or at least, attempting to pass. One of the better chances to get him (I was level) I mis a gear... crucial. He pulls ahead and I give up for the straight. Passing the odd bike, but being held up means faster bikes start passing me... not used to that They have the power down the straights, so the ease with which they pass... well, I'm jealous I start to see a purpose for sportsbikes again.

Nearing the end of the day, the fuel light comes out, last white group with only a couple of sessions to go. Wow... only 130-140km on the tank, and over 15L used. How surprising, must have been the constant high revs trying to pass the chicanes all day Decide to call it a day, find Toto has been going a good 10 sec faster a lap, with me sitting around 1.40. Relieve Raj saying he can go home early if he likes, he'd been out there for several sessions back to back. It was the right call, as the rain returned properly. From previous bouts of rain, there was now hardly anyone left, so while on point, I only did one session and then the day was wrapped.

Packing up, I lend a hand transferring all the gear back to the apartments, and for the first time in probably over 2 years, I ride sportsbikes (the fleet of GSXR's). First was a 600... wow, bit gutless, needed revs to do anything, definitely not what I would call exciting. Second was a 1000, and that was chalk and cheese. Easing out the clutch, no throttle, its over walking pace already, pulls from the bottom. I could do countless license damage if someone let me loose on one again (and exactly why I stopped riding sportsbikes).

All in all, a great day. Was surprised how tired I was, but I did get only 3.5 hours sleep during the night (working late, then up at 6am). Still, only 130km ish of track time, and the 50km commute (one way) from Auckland. I did set a new fuel consumption record, around 10.16L / 100km... Greenies enjoy!

With the girlfriend already informed I was doing the trackday (she popped in and said hello) and therefore needing Sunday to do the usual training ride, Sunday didn't pan out. Up early afternoon, then work until evening, it was a very short weekend, distance wise.

Submit "Second Ever Trackday" to Digg Submit "Second Ever Trackday" to del.icio.us Submit "Second Ever Trackday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Second Ever Trackday" to Google Submit "Second Ever Trackday" to reddit Submit "Second Ever Trackday" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments