View RSS Feed

Gremlin's Tall Stories

More lights for Katie

Rate this Entry
Well, following on from the adventures of the previous weekend (previously blogged) an old idea was resurrected. My boss has a blackbird has had spotlights fitted for a couple of years, specifically for night riding in the country.

They sit between his fairing and mirrors on custom brackets, angled up and out. They rectify a common problem motorcyclists have. As you lean into a corner, your headlight points at the ground right in front of the bike. Lean more, the problem gets worse. Not too fun at 100kph. With the spots, as you lean into the corner, the spotlight shines through the corner, much like the most modern of cars, with swivelling headlamps.

I’d always like the idea, but wasn’t sure if I needed the extra light, still, a handy idea to know, and shelved it. Then, probably over a year ago, the first cars started coming out with LED strips to complement their main headlamps. I thought this was a good idea too as the cars stood out, and now, 1 years on (a year ago), I had a supermoto with big handguards, the perfect place to mount such an item. Still, busy, with other ideas, it was shelved as well.

Fast forward to last weekend. Managed to lose both filaments in the single bulb (not ideal, I know, but designed like that). Incredibly small odds I would imagine, but it happened. Not being able to see, and not being seen properly was not a good idea, and something needed to be done. Out came the idea of LED strips, as if I got ones bright enough, they could serve as a backup to the headlamp. Not as bright, but after 100+km of riding with no headlight, I assure you, better than nothing.

Some googling, some trademe hunting, and I settled on some waterproof, flexible led strips that could be cut to length. Supposedly the brightest on the market, carrying a 6 month warranty and made in Taiwan (better than China actually) it sounded like a good plan. First I had to find out whether they would fit within the law (just a hassle with time and law if they don’t) so a thread on KB (here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-under-the-law), a bit of discussion, and yes, it was legal (as long as they were classified correctly – ie, call them the correct thing). Basically, I was buying them for visibility (since install, people have commented they are bright, and make the bike stand out) and backup for main headlamp, if I had it blow again.

During the week, I tracked a company down, selling the required “forward facing position lamps”, made contact, checked out the strips and purchased on Thursday afternoon. Of course, electrical ideas are not the best to be alone with (I have a fantastic past of botch-ups to confirm this) so a suitable fella was required, that I could trick into assisting with the install, so as not to put another botch up on the wall. Ie, my head works as thus: how much does this item use?.... hmmm, not a clue, but there must be some spare…

Enter GiJoe, always happy to assist, despite numerous bad things happening (oil on his shirt was just the latest in a long line of things) and when he starts asking do I have electrical stuff like *insert name*, with my suitable response of “a what?” he says, OK, you come here then. At this stage, I had purchased some scott oil from Botany Honda (need any GiJoe? ) and was still annoying them. Finished up, and headed over to his place.

We started around 6.30pm (his version of events and pictures are here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/en...katoom-of-doom) and pulled the bike apart. Of course, it’s an unwritten rule that things never go smoothly – indeed, sometimes an incredible understatement, so this time, I forgot about a couple of lines when removing the fuel tank. They happened to be fuel related, so before we figured out where all the fuel was pissing from, some went onto the floor of the area… Not a problem, neither of us smoked, and it evaporated before we had finished.

During the install, he realises why my KTM mechanics fear me, due to the mass of extra wiring in the bike for the assortment of accessories. I’ve had the mechanics comment it probably has the same amount of wiring as stock, again, for accessories. Nevertheless, we install the wires for the LED strips. GiJoe insists on refusing my request to have them wired into the headlamps, stating Gremlin by name, Gremlin by nature, something will go wrong, so let’s keep it completely separate. I guess he knows what he’s doing (at least, he knows more than I) so I let him have his way. His way involves a remote switch for the lights… hang on, why on earth do I need to be able to turn them on from over 30m away? He states some random reason, but there is no way around it.

Pros and cons. I have to carry the remote with me (not on my keys, as they are bike only – and too much damages the ignition and top triple clamp) to turn off and on, there is no other way, but, when stopped in the country at night, say, when the bike is off (getting something out of luggage or whatever) there is still light, and I can see what I am doing. I’ve stopped in the country in the dead of the night before, and wow, its dark. Having a source of light is very handy. It also makes it a little safer, at least for oncoming cars, who can see there is something there.

With all the piss taking and fun and games with all the electrical stuff (tightly supervised of course) we have them finally fitted around 9pm. Neither of us have had dinner, so we decide Wendys is in order. Down the road we go, and in the less than 10km to Wendys, we run into a police breath check point. At this point, I’d like to remind readers this is all GiJoe’s fault. He’ll try to tell you otherwise, but it’s not true. The police even unusually insist on breath checking us, so we have to remove our helmets. GiJoe was in front, so he goes through first, then watched the queue of cars stack up behind, as I took off gloves, helmet, then reversed order. No alcohol, never any worries, but anyhoo. Cop doing the breath check and a senior officer are both bemused by lights, but nothing more said.

Onward to Wendys, food consumed and back through the check point. Expecting another helmet removal, we’re pleasantly surprised someone remembers us (fancy that, two nutters) and we’re waved through without further ado. I bid adieu to GiJoe who returns home, and I return to work to complete some work. Before I even get there, I end up at another police breath check, another helmet removal, and a breath check. I comment it’s my third stop, I’m still quite sure I don’t have alcohol, the officer apologises, but as I said to him, no problem, you guys are obviously out tonight. This cop was even more taken with the lights, just about laughing his arse off… I think he thought I was taking the piss with them.

As a side note, very disappointing to see the cars piled up at both checks… still too many are out driving drunk, and the limit is too high in my opinion anyway.

Later in the night, I head back through the check point, but its pissing with rain and no-one wants to stand in it. All quiet in the city amazingly enough, and no further events for the night.

Submit "More lights for Katie" to Digg Submit "More lights for Katie" to del.icio.us Submit "More lights for Katie" to StumbleUpon Submit "More lights for Katie" to Google Submit "More lights for Katie" to reddit Submit "More lights for Katie" to Facebook

Comments

I need to keep a shotgun filled with rock salt. Just for this character whenever he turns up. It won't kill him, but it will make me feel a whole lot more better and satisfied when I've shot him full of it!

To be fair, Gremlin is starting to come along in the spannering skills. He even has his own set of tools. Yes, I am very afraid.