View RSS Feed

gijoe1313's Blogs

Riding with an experienced newbie to Whangas

Rate this Entry
Well Gale_Wolf is an old mate of from uni days, he's gotten on with life and raised a fine family and doing the hard yards.

Of course, this meant his usual hi-jinks with motorbikes has been curtailed and he has in his words become "mister communterer". We've recently renewed our friendship and actually ridden with each other on short trips on the Hornet Swarm rides.

Now, he gets ambitious and wants to head up to Whangarei to pick up a muffler baffle from the previous owner of his squid bike gixxer thou. It could have been couriered down, but any excuse for a ride!

So at 7.15am on Saturday morning, I turn up to his place and stone me cold, his precious is parked outside ready to go. Unlike my usual riding partner in crime, the ludicrous Gremlin, he is actually up and raring to go! His missus was feeling a bit poorly due to one of his girls having the stomach virus going around.

Anyhow, we head off via the Northwestern to do old north road and peak road and the usual run up SH16, fark me, gravel on all the good corners! Was interesting to compare notes with Gale_Wolf who complained about his tyres sliding on the loose stuff (no probs from me riding like a nana!)

Stopped at Wellsford for some pies (Jester's stockman and morning glory) and off we went via Maungawhai to Waipu - pointed out the chocolatier there to stop in on the way back. From there squirted out to Whangas with a refill at the Caltex before we hit it.

Had a good old natter with the chap (forgot his KB name, but he knows Laava) and then we piss off back down the line home, basically reversing the route we took.

So we end up taking a detour via hobsonville to see the new developments there, and refuelled at Shell Westgate. Swapped bikes and I rode the gixxer back to Gale_Wplf's place.

Man, it was a painful experience on the wrists, uncomfortable sprotsbike position! Bike always wanting to head into licence losing territory

Was fun though but it just definitely confirms for me how much I love my predator! Anyhow, just glad that my mate got to actually take his bike around some decent corners and do a "proper" ride. Did have some moments of worry when I looked in my mirrors after some twisties to await my wingman to come back into view!

Submit "Riding with an experienced newbie to Whangas" to Digg Submit "Riding with an experienced newbie to Whangas" to del.icio.us Submit "Riding with an experienced newbie to Whangas" to StumbleUpon Submit "Riding with an experienced newbie to Whangas" to Google Submit "Riding with an experienced newbie to Whangas" to reddit Submit "Riding with an experienced newbie to Whangas" to Facebook

Comments

Who the hell starts a ride at 0715

and its Mangawhai. lurn to speel gud.
    When kids wake you up at 6am anyway, might as well be ready to go by 7-ish! And I don't get to go for a decent ride very often so wanted to make the most of the day.

Felt damn good riding some decent corners again instead of just the regular 60km daily communt along Auckland's motorway system. Riding through the new road seal and gravel on SH16 made for some interesting moments, front wheel slide is never a good feeling. Got stuck behind a caravan and a campervan on some twisties, I knew gijoe1313 would be looking in his mirrors worried about me, but I didn't push it until I had some safe overtaking room and was able to catch up with him again.

While we were scoffing down pies in Wellsford we had a bit of a yak with some keen young fellas who were also on their way to Whangarei, didn't see them out on the ride though. It was a sweet day for riding and waved at plenty of other riders out enjoying the good conditions.

BTW the chap who we picked up the baffle from is wynw. We had a good gawk and gab session over his K9 gixxer thou.

Enjoyed the ride, had a good day, cheers to gijoe1313