View RSS Feed

Gremlin's Tall Stories

Training Ride 8: Biting off more than you can chew

Rate this Entry
Saturday morning of the 13th of November rolls around. Up late as usual, I sort a few chores, once again not leaving at my planned time of about 10am. Midday and I’m finally cleaning visors and gearing up. 12.30pm and I’m fully fuelled and getting the hell out of Auckland.

The intention today is for approximately 1000km, starting with SH22 and going through New Plymouth, Wanganui and then the Paraparas north through Te Kuiti and back to SH1 at Ngaruwahia.

Exiting the motorway at Mercer I count the ride as finally starting as the roads are not as busy. SH22 was the usual mix of great roads, roads under construction and roads that should be under construction. The extra section to Te Uku is still a bit of a mess in the middle, but with long suspension travel its quite fun vaulting over the uneven sections.

Part of the ride aim was to also try out some roads I had never ridden, a long ride mixed with exploration. True to this aim, I turned off the main route just north of Te Kuiti, and while I have done Oparure Rd before, I hadn’t done Troopers Rd, which turned out to be sealed and a great road. Just before reaching Piopio there was a substantial section of roadworks where they were resealing the entire road, and a ute was guiding traffic through, which translated to lengthy delays.

Once clear, it appears I passed raftn, who later pm’d me, saying he spotted me in Piopio. Turning off and heading south from Piopio it was a quick run through the back roads to Aria and onto exploring roads. Finding the other ends of a couple of roads from previous explorations was a top priority for map accuracy, and it translated into my first gravel roads of the day, which varied in condition, exiting onto the main route north of Mahoenui. Off the main route again before Mahoenui to try a bypass which was sealed but tiny, barely wider than a vehicle, but beautiful (bar the sheep I had to chase off the road).

The Awakino Gorge wasn’t too bad, first time I have done it with any clarity, as it’s usually been part of a big ride. It started raining, so the pace was eased as the tar could have been in better condition and Mt Messenger was even wetter. It was around this point I was really impressed with the Pirelli Angels I’m trying. The road was evidently slippery, but there was barely a murmur of complaint from the tyres, despite the respectable pace in the wet.

The original intention was to go around the cape and visit West Cape for the first time, but with the rain and late start the GPS was already saying home was going to be around 0130 on Sunday morning, so I thought it best to cut it a bit shorter. Before turning off for Inglewood I finally hit reserve around 405km. Reaching Inglewood I was 20km into reserve, but Stratford was only 20 odd km away, so I carried on. Rolling into Stratford I had 445km on the trip, I think the most I have done on a single fill (loving the two tank set up!!).

Stratford was a reasonable stop, having a servo feed of unhealthy food and cleaning the bikes headlight, taillight and indicators. Departing at 6pm I headed into the Forgotten Highway. Having already done the main road, the intention this time was to prove the accuracy of some its back roads. Turning north at Douglas the initial section was great. Fun road and, until I attempted Douglas Rd North, north of Huiroa. The road was freshly metalled, and after a few hundred metres, it was the first gravel road I had to admit defeat to. Being reminded the Angels are not gravel tyres, climbing a hill defeated them, with the bike sinking in several inches and even turning around was hard work.

Back on seal briefly and then off again was the cycle, as I explored any road that took my fancy (probably to the dismay of KTM). North of Kiore I turned onto Mangaoapa Rd (a road I was going to spend a bit of time on – as it turned out) and even found a tunnel (photo attached). Choosing to remain on seal (was starting to tire of all the gravel) I chose Matau Rd except the seal only lasted to Matau. Heading north on Matau North Rd proved the road was No Exit, correcting the NZOGPS maps, except that was all gravel too. Since I had already been through Matau I tried Junction Rd, except choosing Mangaoapa Rd sent me in a large circle.

Still, more roads being proven not to link where they said they did was all good, except for turning around at one point. I was certain Mangaoapa Rd had no turn to Tunupo Rd, so went back, only to come to a halt and find my front wheel slide sideways off the road. Since I had only done approx. 50km, the bike was effectively fully fuelled and bloomin’ heavy. I couldn’t stop it going over but did arrest the fall enough to make it gently touch down. Swearing commences, fuel is pissing out of the breather in the 2nd tank and the first attempt to quickly lift the bike fails. First priority is to shut the breather, as now we don’t know how long it will take to right. Breather shut, check footing, almighty heave and I have the bike upright. I stand there for moment catching my breath, then re-mount and carry on.

Reaching the intersection of Mangaoapa Rd and Matau Rd I realise I’ve just been on the road I elected not to do before… oh well. Only problem is its now 8pm and I’m still in the middle of nowhere. Can’t remember where the last best road to get out is, I may as well go back to Matau and try the other road out. Seal again, this is good stuff! At Matau I turn right onto Junction Rd, more seal, sweet, we’ll be out of here in a jiffy.

No… no such luck, it turns to gravel in short order. I like gravel as much as the next person, it’s fun exploring, but not when it’s turning to night and you’re not entirely sure where you are (OK, I wasn’t lost, I knew where I was, but it wasn’t where I planned to be). Trundling down the gravel road, I’m wishing for it to be over. Crabbing up and down hills all the time is no longer a fun experience but something to be endured. 2030, still no sign of any seal. Couple of minutes later, this shit ain’t funny anymore as it’s quite rough going, but I finally reach the Pohokura Saddle intersection at 2036.

Feeling damn grateful I take a 15min break, having a drink and bite to eat and finally swapping my visor after riding with it open. Most don’t do the Forgotten Highway at night but this was still way better than all the gravel I had been on. It was still wet, but so be it. It was a quiet road indeed, 1 car going my way (going really slowly) and 2 oncoming cars. My headlight was frustrating me, it seemed to put out barely any light, and it should be way better. Declining to do Ohura Rd through Ohura and Matiere as I knew the surface was a bit patchy, I decided the main routes would be a bit easier. Arriving on the outskirts of Taumarunui I had my headlight problem answered… my headlight was covered in mud.

A text to parents to let them know I was still alive and a visor clean and I was on my way again. Wow… a clean headlight aye? Back to having huge amounts of light, (I dooo like the +90% bulbs) the pace could be upped on the quiet roads. SH4 and SH3 led me to Te Kuiti at 2315 where I made an unplanned fuel stop. The extra circling in the Forgotten World and spilling some, I was certain I couldn’t make home without filling. I had a great chat with a truckie who was on his break. He was astounded by all the gear the bike had, GPS, radar, CB radio and the extra LED lights. The bike needed a bit of a servo clean indeed (headlight, taillight, and indicators)… I don’t think cars behind saw any taillight there was so much mud on it.

The roads were still wet but starting to dry. Back roads through Otorohanga and Pirongia led me to SH1 at Ngaruwahia at 0030 where I decided SH22 probably wasn’t the best at this time and settled for SH1 all the way home, arriving at 0130.

The ride added up to about 950km in 13 hours, which would normally be slow, but the gravel slowed me down a lot. Plenty of sections had to be crabbed through at 20-30kph. Can’t complain tho, there were a heap of map corrections to be made and I know there are still a huge number of rides I can do that way before the roads are all covered.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00034.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	224078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00032.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	342.5 KB 
ID:	224077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00035.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	224079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00036.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	224080   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00037.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	224081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00041.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	224082  

Submit "Training Ride 8: Biting off more than you can chew" to Digg Submit "Training Ride 8: Biting off more than you can chew" to del.icio.us Submit "Training Ride 8: Biting off more than you can chew" to StumbleUpon Submit "Training Ride 8: Biting off more than you can chew" to Google Submit "Training Ride 8: Biting off more than you can chew" to reddit Submit "Training Ride 8: Biting off more than you can chew" to Facebook

Comments

Just another gremlin day/night out ... You're losing your touch young fella me lad - no cornfields with angry farmers this time?
    No... I've only ever had one... that was your fault...

Only thing I have found is that cars drive too fast on the gravel roads in the country... don't expect anyone to be there...
    Junction road & surroundng areas are interesting to say the least, having been through there on the Blackbird it makes hard work of the situation particularly when you encounter locals out on their quads !! they dont slow down for anything..... I look forward to the next installment of " GREMLIN GOES ..... "