View RSS Feed

Chaos_Warrior

Help ! ! !

Rate this Entry
Hello again, it's your friendly naive Englander here again asking all of you who read this for your assistance and forsight with stuff i know nothing about, well, not as much as i would like to know anyway.
Me and the Wife were out doing stuff today in preparation for the arrival of my Aprilia RSV1000 Mille which we are hoping to pick up from the customs people in mid December and decided to pop into the AA to get an insurance quote, (oooops!).
Thinking that as the car is insured with them that we might get a bit of a discount, and also that as i have just had notification from the UK that as i am now an Advanced Motorist and that AA are offering discounts on insurance we were keeping our fingers crossed for a healthy price.
Well ! were we in for a shock ! as we were REFUSED a quote, as apparently the make of my motorcycle is one that is on their list of makes that they refuse to insure, i managed to get a quick glimpse of said list and sure enough Aprilia was there, along with other makes such as Harley Davidson, Triumph, Victory in a list of about a dozen makes, his exact words were " we do not offer insurance to such high powered sports bikes as we are not experts with motorcycle insurance ".
I explained to him that my Aprilia would be landing in NZ then being ridden to a local dealer where we would be trading it in on a 2007 Honda CBR1000rr Fireblade, so would they insure the Honda, to which he said yes !
Now i know i am going to upset a lot of people here, but ! the Fireblade is definately faster than the Aprilia, and to say that they would be prepared to insure Honda's and Yamaha's, with their R1's and Blades, probably two of the groundbreaking sports bikes of their age, but not " high powered sports bikes " like Harley's Triumph's and Victory's, when they would be buried by a Blade or R1, is quite laughable, well it would be if you were not after a bloody insurance quote !
So, my learned online natives of this fair and gorgeous land, my question to you all is :- Where the hell do i go for the best insurance deal ! Please.
Any help / advise would be most gratefully appreciated, once you have sewn your sides up from reading this of course.
Cheers,
Chaos.

Submit "Help ! ! !" to Digg Submit "Help ! ! !" to del.icio.us Submit "Help ! ! !" to StumbleUpon Submit "Help ! ! !" to Google Submit "Help ! ! !" to reddit Submit "Help ! ! !" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Find a reputable insurance broker. I have had one for about 18 years when I started out needing commercial insurance. I was only in business a short time, but retained the services of the broker. They do all the hard work and shop around for the best deal for all my insurance needs. the only downside is that obviously they get a comission from the insurance companies, so they may have their favourites. That said, my lot do a complete review every 2-3 years to ensure that the prices are still sharp and the policy gives me what I want.
    www.kiwibike.co.nz or if you wish to e-mail Dave Hewer direct dave@kiwibike.co.nz or if you wish to chat on the phone to Dave 0800 629 253. There are I'm sure many more but I have found there pricing good I know of a few riders who have unfortunately had to make a claim or two & have mentioned the speed & ease of dealing with them, good luck & hope you enjoy the forth coming summer riding months
    im no insurance expert, but perhaps they are taking into account the cost of a write off, as well as the risk of a write off. perhaps the potentially higher value of the bikes you mentioned, means they are not considered worthwhile risks? though you'd have thought for the right premium they would insure anything.

strange indeed!

then again, the AA dont know much about cars either, so cant expect them to be logical when it comes to bikes
    The above is good advice but a Plan B could be to contact the Honda Riders Club NZ,
    rob-at-hrcnz.co.nz (substituting a "@" for the "-at-") and tell them of your plans.

It costs $50.00 a year to join the HRC but that gets a 24/7 breakdown service. The cost of their insurance scheme is competitive and you don't have to fight for every cent should have to make a claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecko_nzed
    Find a reputable insurance broker. I have had one for about 18 years when I started out needing commercial insurance. I was only in business a short time, but retained the services of the broker. They do all the hard work and shop around for the best deal for all my insurance needs. the only downside is that obviously they get a comission from the insurance companies, so they may have their favourites. That said, my lot do a complete review every 2-3 years to ensure that the prices are still sharp and the policy gives me what I want.
    Thanks for the sound advice Ecko.
    Cheers,
    Chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01
    www.kiwibike.co.nz or if you wish to e-mail Dave Hewer direct dave@kiwibike.co.nz or if you wish to chat on the phone to Dave 0800 629 253. There are I'm sure many more but I have found there pricing good I know of a few riders who have unfortunately had to make a claim or two & have mentioned the speed & ease of dealing with them, good luck & hope you enjoy the forth coming summer riding months
    Hey thanks for that Insomnia, that's a big help and yeah, can't wait for my bike to be here.
    Cheers.
    Chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by st00ji
    im no insurance expert, but perhaps they are taking into account the cost of a write off, as well as the risk of a write off. perhaps the potentially higher value of the bikes you mentioned, means they are not considered worthwhile risks? though you'd have thought for the right premium they would insure anything.

strange indeed!

then again, the AA dont know much about cars either, so cant expect them to be logical when it comes to bikes
    Thanks for that st00ji, yeah obviously my 800 bucks aint good enough, or they are such a big company that they dont need the business.
    Liked the logical remark.
    Cheers.
    Chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch
    The above is good advice but a Plan B could be to contact the Honda Riders Club NZ,
    rob-at-hrcnz.co.nz (substituting a "@" for the "-at-") and tell them of your plans.

It costs $50.00 a year to join the HRC but that gets a 24/7 breakdown service. The cost of their insurance scheme is competitive and you don't have to fight for every cent should have to make a claim.
    Hey Pritch thanks for that, that's a big help, I am certainly interested in joining that so will deffo follow it up.
    Sounds like the fifty bucks is worth it alone for the breakdown service.
    Thanks again.
    Cheers.
    Chaos.