View RSS Feed

The V-Twin Project

Background

Rate this Entry
Gidday
My name is Craig and I’m a fourth year mechanical engineering student at the University of Auckland. Also while I have been at university I have been part of the University of Auckland Formula SAE team ( www.FSAE.co.nz ). As part of my degree I have to do a project about something engineering based. For this project I have decided to put two single cylinder dirt bike engines onto a common crank to make a V-twin.
There are two reasons why I’m doing this project;

1: I think that when the engine is finished it will be the future for the team and will be lighter, more reliable and a better over all package than the current engine.

2: I didn't want to do a boring project like measuring the efficiency of a clothes dryer which had been done for the last three years (no offence Fisher and Paykel)

So this is the story of the engine so far. Over the next couple of weeks I will bring the blog up to were we are now. All going well.

There are also some posts on the forums about it if you want to read them.

Submit "Background" to Digg Submit "Background" to del.icio.us Submit "Background" to StumbleUpon Submit "Background" to Google Submit "Background" to reddit Submit "Background" to Facebook

Comments

Sounds like an interesting project, keep us posted how progress goes!