View RSS Feed

STJim

Hamilton to Lower Hutt and Back Again. 9 to 11 September 2011

Rate this Entry
The above weekend was Ulysses Coordinators conference in Lower Hutt.
As I am Ulysses National Secretary I had to attend.

Having been overseas for the last week of July and most of August I needed a good ride on the ST. During the week I had it serviced at Hamilton Honda.

As secretary it was my responsibility to have minutes of the last meeting and agendas for approximately 45 people. I had almost everything done on Thursday evening. I was up early Friday morning. I released that I hadn't included expenses claim forms. I was shrowed dressed and in the car and into work to print of the forms.

Despite the setback, I had the bike packed tyres checked and pumped up and ready to go at 7.40 am. I was then on my way to Taupo to the meeting point at BP Waireiki . Originally we were scheduled to meet in Cambridge. Unfortunately the top bridge across the Waikato river is closed at present. We had come through the previous Friday afternoon. The traffic had been diabolical on SH 1. All the traffic that would have crossed the top bridge now has to use SH 1 to to get to the Lower Bridge and across to Lemington.

It was a pleasant trip to Taupo. A little on the cold side with some mist.
I arrived in at BP Wairakei at about 9.30 am. to meet with Bob Leeper from Auckland, Mike Couchman ,Whangaria and Kevin Beagley fromTauranga.
Wairakei is a wild bean cafe. I was very pleased to find that my wild bean tag gave me free coffee.

Shortly after I arrived Pete Read from Whakatane arrived then David Coy our National Treasurer making his last trip on his ST. The silver ST has been replaced with a 600cc Yamaha, a much lighter and smaller bike. David had sold the ST on trade me and was delivering the same to the purchaser in Wellington.

Finally two from Waihi Thames Valley arrived. Des on his Intruder Trike and Colin on a Harley.

It was largely an eventful ride down. It was a lovely clear day. Beautiful views across the Desert Road. Our lunch stop was at Bulls. After lunch ,not by, design we split into two groups. Just as we were about to leave VFR 1200 rolled up. It was Kevin from Bike Rider Magazine . BRM edit and publish the Ulyssian and Kevin is our editor. He ha been invited to attend the Coordinators conference for a question an answer session at the meeting.
He rode with us to the Hutt.

Heading south the sky darkened. At Otaki it was on with the wet's.
And was a damp ride, turning of SH 1 at Plimmerton and to Hutt Valley via Gray's Road and Hayward's Hill. The end destination was the Hutt Park Motorcamp. Accommodation for the conference is always at the Hutt Park.
In another life time I lived and worked in the Hutt Valley. I still know my way around. I was the lead bike. It was down the Main Road to the Kennedy Good bridge at Avalon. Then across the Hutt Valley to Nae Nae road and then south. Unfortunately at Whites Line East I turned left not right and took the scenic route through Gracefield. and around to Hutt Park

I settled in at the Hutt Park and then headed for the local pub. Then back to the Hutt Park for a National Committee meeting when all the others arrived in.

Saturday was the Coordinators conference. It's not something I need to include in this blog other than to mention the sticky date pudding severed up for dinner on Saturday evening by Wellington Branch who catered for us. In addition I then got to enjoy the England v Argentine world cup game.

On Sunday a group of five bikes set of at 8 am heading north.

First it was out over Hayward's and then Paekakariki Hill. At that stage the road was dry. As we headed north the weather ahead looked ominous. I already had my wet pants on expecting the worst. Coming up from Taihape to Waiouru the wind gusts were significant. We had a well timed stop at Waiouru.

It was then on to the Desert Road. By then it was raining. I think that would be the worst desert road crossing I have experienced on two wheels. Rain and wind coupled with slippery road. By then we were down to four bikes. One only going as far as Taumarunui. He had changed direction at Waioura. I was the last bike on the Desert Road. In such conditions I like to take my time and pick my way carefully.

We had discussed taking the Western Access road to avoid Taupo and to stop for a late lunch at Tokoroa.

I turned left at Turangi and headed up the Western Access road.
The rain let up and I was able to make very good time. I pulled into Dinos cafe at Tokoroa. The others were no where to be seen. I assumed that I had been left behind and that they were on the road ahead of me. As soon as I had ordered in they came. They had gone to the service satiation at Turangi as the Vulcan needed to refuel.

The rain set in again at Tokoroa. It was a very wet ride to Whitehall south of Cambridge were I refueled before heading home to Hamilton.

Filling up a managed to drop my helmet scratching the visor. A replacement has been ordered a a cost of $140.00. The moral of the story, be more careful.

Submit "Hamilton to Lower Hutt  and Back Again.  9 to 11 September 2011" to Digg Submit "Hamilton to Lower Hutt  and Back Again.  9 to 11 September 2011" to del.icio.us Submit "Hamilton to Lower Hutt  and Back Again.  9 to 11 September 2011" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hamilton to Lower Hutt  and Back Again.  9 to 11 September 2011" to Google Submit "Hamilton to Lower Hutt  and Back Again.  9 to 11 September 2011" to reddit Submit "Hamilton to Lower Hutt  and Back Again.  9 to 11 September 2011" to Facebook

Updated 27th September 2011 at 11:08 by STJim (spelling)

Categories
General Bike Ravings , Touring NZ

Comments

I didn't know you were the secretary Jim?

Sounds like a nice ride tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    I didn't know you were the secretary Jim?

Sounds like a nice ride tho
    I have been the Ulysses National Secretary since the AGM in March when Howard Mansell put his name forward to become Vice president.