View RSS Feed

Gremlin's Tall Stories

First SASS Practice (28/09/2011)

Rate this Entry
Standing for the South Auckland Street Skills (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-Street-Skills), it’s about practising your skills safely in a car park. Nope, not wheelies and what not, it’s more slow speed handling and braking. Free to come along and enjoy the practising, it’s opposite the Manukau Central Police Station every Wednesday… check out the thread.

I’d been to the one two weeks previous, but it was cold and rain threatening, so we headed straight for the pub instead.

The weather was better for this one, with a big turnout of about 10 bikes. Sis insisted on introducing me to everyone… I don’t think I can remember any names… I knew that would happen. I did recognise Grasshopperus, and he was still riding the CB900 that was ex-zeocen. Thankfully, he’s actually riding it heaps (unlike some people ) and has definitely got the hang of it, swinging it back and forth around obstacles (real or imagined).

Sis and Grasshopperus set out some courses, one a fast weave, with half tennis balls spaced 2 car park widths apart and another of two lines then a box, the objective being to weave past the two lines and stop in the box. As most got stuck into it, another person set up emergency braking in another section of the car park. The car park was almost entirely deserted, leaving us a huge area to play in.

After some steady practise on the two main courses most started doing their own little things. I practised taking off from a standing start in full lock, and while not perfect, not too bad either, then settling into figure of 8’s using 5 car parks. Then I made it harder by using 5 with a gutter which upset the handling of the bike a bit every time you crossed the gutter.

After 45 minutes most seemed to have had enough, so they headed off to the pub while I said my goodbyes and headed home for some dinner…

All in all, I think it’s a really good thing to be practising the low speed skills and control of the bike. Hats off to Sis and those helping her and no excuses for not going along and practising those skills! I’ll be doing a bit of it, especially once the BMW comes back, as it’s a big bike to try doing low speed stuff with.

Submit "First SASS Practice (28/09/2011)" to Digg Submit "First SASS Practice (28/09/2011)" to del.icio.us Submit "First SASS Practice (28/09/2011)" to StumbleUpon Submit "First SASS Practice (28/09/2011)" to Google Submit "First SASS Practice (28/09/2011)" to reddit Submit "First SASS Practice (28/09/2011)" to Facebook

Comments

Good stuff aye! Amazing how it improves the control and confidence on the road.
    It was a good read, thanks for sharing.