View RSS Feed

Gremlin's Tall Stories

The long awaited return of Jessica (21/10/2011)

Rate this Entry
After countless days of waiting (Ok, about 53 days – it may as well have been an eternity) and a few phone calls, countless jibes from others saying the bike was on the Rena (yes, they all thought it was funny and they were the first to say it) I got the phone call from Ken mid Friday morning I had been waiting for.

Documents were being sent to him by the shipper, he would forward them to me, and I would take them to Mainfreight in Otahuhu, pay some fees and collect the lovely Jessica. I must admit, whenever someone mentioned the Rena, there was that deep dark thought at the back of my head that maybe she WAS on the Rena – I’m not named Gremlin without good reason. The ship was supposed to go LA to Auckland, so surely it wouldn’t have been down Tauranga way?

However, those thoughts were now long behind me. I’ve had a hectic few days of work, sleeping no more than 4 hours a night, and I had just worked through most of Thursday night to correct issues, so rolled back over and grabbed a couple more hours of sleep (yes, you’re correct, I didn’t instantly race over to Otahuhu as I do like my sleep ).

Fast forward to the afternoon, I arrange for my Dad to take me over to Otahuhu. The particular location was in Railway Lane, and the complex was huge. I tried reception, and was directed to the portacom inside the warehouse, which took some of the paperwork, and directed me around the side and to follow one of the staff. Jessica was parked in one corner, and more importantly, I could see the extra luggage all accounted for. Someone had known what they were doing, having removed the top box and more amazingly, the screen.

Some assembly was required to put the screen back on, but eventually got there, after finding out the hard way that certain pieces only went in one place. Once she was back together (with Mum in the background taking the photos) the all-important part was re-connecting the battery and checking she started (as I fully intended to ride away). A few coughs and failed starts, a couple of nervous thoughts, and she fired up.

I chatted briefly to the warehouse guy, he sees some really neat stuff pass through the warehouses, and he seemed rather surprised that the bike was actually an NZ one, having been sent out, and then back again. I said I could have bought one there, but since I already had one, I didn’t need another.

The rear tyre pressure reading didn’t come up, but I figured if it didn’t in time, the shop could have a look, as she’s already scheduled for a service on Tuesday morning. The front pressure was way down, so rode carefully, getting used to the way she handled. So much smoother than the Hornet, with an abundance of torque, but you certainly feel like master and commander of the road, looking over most people and cars from your high position. Handling was better than I remembered, so stable through corners (yeah, couldn’t help giving a little blast through one section of corners, and she was rock steady).

The rest of the afternoon was spent basically cuddling her and fitting a couple of accessories (more on that in the next blog).

Oh yeah...
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02933.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	249267   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02934.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	249268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02935.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	249269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02936.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	249270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02937.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	249271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02938.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	249272  

Submit "The long awaited return of Jessica (21/10/2011)" to Digg Submit "The long awaited return of Jessica (21/10/2011)" to del.icio.us Submit "The long awaited return of Jessica (21/10/2011)" to StumbleUpon Submit "The long awaited return of Jessica (21/10/2011)" to Google Submit "The long awaited return of Jessica (21/10/2011)" to reddit Submit "The long awaited return of Jessica (21/10/2011)" to Facebook

Comments

Nice one! I guess all that bodge it spannering mayhem finally paid off in the sense you actually need it to put Jessie back together again!

I daresay some serious riding milage will be required before the Grand Challenge!
    That bike would probably look nice in a bright shade of yellow!
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313
    Nice one! I guess all that bodge it spannering mayhem finally paid off in the sense you actually need it to put Jessie back together again!

I daresay some serious riding milage will be required before the Grand Challenge!
    Yeup, having pulled apart the bike more than recommended by the BMW dealer has proven extremely valuable. As I said tonight however... the Grand Challenge is this coming weekend, so no prep rides for me

This could be one of my hardest GC's yet, with 0 build up. I'll simply aim to complete this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ
    That bike would probably look nice in a bright shade of yellow!
    Yeah, about as much chance of that happening as human blood being yellow The other colour option for 2010 was indeed yellow (and 2011 I think). Needless to say, it wasn't an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    Yeah, about as much chance of that happening as human blood being yellow The other colour option for 2010 was indeed yellow (and 2011 I think). Needless to say, it wasn't an option.
    I agree. The St1300 looks great in yellow but the GS is only ok.
    more!? accessories?
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST?
    more!? accessories?
    Lights and more lights. All the night clubs in Havelock North had nothing on the 1200GS as he rode past into the (2011GC Havelock North) check point at midnight.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST?
    more!? accessories?
    Courtesy of another place I was told about, ExcelCycleWerkes, while in the states. New brackets to replace some quick ones for one of the sets of spots, some flaps for in front of the foot pegs (keep your feet warmer and drier), o-ring kit to make the grips larger and also exhaust extensions (left pannier gets a bit hot at the rear end).

Should actually sit down and write that blog... plus the GC one. Lights were awesome... no night time riding for me