View RSS Feed

KoroJ's Blog

2011 GC – The Long Weekend (Pt2)

Rate this Entry
The GC and Getting Home

The decent ride on Friday helped to get a good nights sleep and I was up by 0600 again, scrub-up, breakfast, then prep the gear and go over the fuel stops again. We were surprised how dead it seemed at the Turangi Cabins as usually, the place is littered with bikes and there are heaps of people about, tinkering and chewing the fat, but this year it was very quiet and it turned out, there were only 67 starters for the main event. We had been pre-warned a month or so out, that the start had been brought forward from 1500 to 1300 due to fuel shortages on the route, so we pretty much expected a foray onto the East Cape and sure enough, that was what we got.

The other odd thing was, that usually Saturday drags as we ‘hurry-up and wait’ to start, but this year, with the 2 hours less, the morning seemed to be busy prep’ing and it flew past….all of sudden I seemed to be rushing to kit up, get to the briefing and took my place in the start queue with a minute or so to spare.

Steve, Mike and I were last out the gate, getting separated from the others by waiting for a gap in the traffic and by the time we got onto SH1 to head for Taupo, the others were gone. The weather had been most pleasant all morning, but no sooner had we gone a few K’s out of Turangi and we hit intermittent showers, some quite heavy and as we came down into Waitahanui, the weather out over the Napier-Taupo Rd looked very bleak, so we pulled over to put the ‘wets’ on. Dumb idea! Not only did we lose a few minutes, but before long, we were back in brilliant sunshine and the temp shot up, causing me to get a little uncomfortable.

About this time, we caught up to CameramanJames and of course, with his shenanigans, our pleasant sedate pace became rather brisk with us cranking up through some sweepers for the camera. We had a ball, but I’ll wait until I see the footage before getting excited about it!? We were having a ball anyway….and then I had a wee moment. As I pushed the 023’s through a corner I had one of those uncomfortable squirmy moments which felt like I was rolling on a flat tyre!!?? My first thoughts were that the rear had punctured and I couldn’t believe my run of bad luck was continuing, as that would most likely mean the end to my day. I wiggled the handle bars to twitch the rear to see what it felt like…inconclusive….so I pulled over to look and kick the tyre (as you do) and it was as hard as a rock….well, as hard as thick rubber can be, loaded with 42psi. Hmmm…I carried on, albeit a little wary and my confidence to push the boundaries dashed. (Oh yes…and I did get my picture taken by a parked van, but it was alright because he got my good side….the front!)

Luckily CameramanJames found others to prey on and Steve and I got back to our moderate pootle mode, running down SH5 to the coast and turning left for Wairoa on SH2. More sweet roads, but our plan was to ride moderately, with plenty of stops, and hopefully come in fresh…so we exercised restraint. We pulled into Shell Wairoa for Steve to top-up at 1544 (doing the 274Km at an avg of 101kph) and I was approached for an interview from Tess (film crew). I thought afterwards, “That didn’t really come out right!” but we were probably back on the road within 5 minutes and I was cursing because I’d forgotten to take my wets off.

Steve led out again (he would lead during the day and I’d do the night with the better lights on the ST), it was more good riding up to our next fuel stop in Gisborne and although I didn’t feel totally comfortable with the rear, it wasn’t causing any real concern, then as we dropped down into Gissy, I thought I should probably pass as I had the GPS set to take us to the servo. I didn’t bother though and sure enough, when we got to the first turn off at Matawhero, Steve carried on while I took the turn. It’s a bit longer but not much 50kph, so I was already filling when he pulled in with some others. (I pulled in at 1649 so we were making quite good time doing the 98Km from Wairoa at 102kph and our total avg so far was 98kph)

From here we were on to the first checkpoint at Tokomaru Bay, departing at 1705 after a leisurely 15minute stop. We had split from Mike early in the ride when we stopped before Taupo to put the wets on, then passed him on the Napier-Taupo where he was putting them on, then he passed us when Steve was filling in Wairoa and he left before us from Gissy. At this time we’d picked up another rider though (Manu on a Blackbird), then caught and followed a Beemer rider. He in turn caught then followed a cage that was fanging along just off the pace we were doing, so we were happy tag along. It was more pretty easy riding through to this point and we did the 90Km from Gissy at 94kph.

After 5 minutes, Steve and I got away again, a few minutes behind Mike and from here around to Opotiki wasn’t as easy going. I don’t know if it was due to riding off the pace or what, but we both had come to the conclusion that we had ‘lost our mojo’! For me I had lost a bit of confidence with the new 023 rear due to the occasional squirm and Steve just seemed unable to settle into a groove, so we were both happy to putter along....and of course, our mojo took a big hit when the ST and ‘Busa got passed by a big Suzuki Cruiser!!

Steve did pop off the road for a breather whilst going around the Cape as there were quite a lot of spots where the road had subsided (one way or the other) leaving some drop-offs or bumps in the region of 3-6”. Steve hit a bump whilst engaging a very tight left hander. As usual, I was right up his date and it was severe enough to bounce him off the seat causing his feet to disengage from the pegs. Not a great look when one is keen to apply pressure to the brakes…and can’t find a foot, or free some fingers to use. Anyway, as I eased around the corner, look of disbelief on my dial, I saw Steve bounce, straighten, (WTF), brakes….back wheel locks (puff of dust and crap from loose shit), thoughts to the effect of, “Oh crap……I hope nothing’s coming…..is he going to ease it around?…..is he going to stop?…..Oh fuck! not again!! That’s a 3’ drop there Steve….and there’s a fence………………bugger he’s gone…..ooooh! nicely popped there Steve……..Holy Shit! He’s parked it......Hell, how are we going to get it back up on the road?....(looks around for somewhere safe to park the bike)…….Ooooh, nice one Steve! (he just rode it back up the bank!!) We exchanged notes, wiped brows and moved on!

As we descended down the coast it got dark and that was time for the ST to move to the front and light the way as we continued to press on to Opotiki for fuel and the 2nd checkpoint. We finally arrived at 2059 and had a reasonable stop here, snacking, cleaning visors and so on. We were off the pace though doing the 237Km leg at an avg of 85kph.

We were back on the road at 2119, heading back to Gissy over the Waioeka Gorge. I was back in the lead and it wasn’t long before we were on a long straight with a car coming from the other direction… and it had very bright lights. I wasn’t sure that he had his lights on full so gave him the benefit of the doubt and didn’t flash him, but I just focused on the area to his left to try to protect my night vision. As we honed in on him, it appeared he wasn’t moving and then I got a hell of a fright when at the last minute I realised the road swung away to the right of the lights and they were actually floods mounted atop some sort of harvester in a paddock on the left of the road....Talk about getting sucked into the rocks by a siren!!

I got over that and we had quite a good ride through the gorge as, after the East Cape road, this one seemed wide and the surface was pretty clean, although it was a very dark night. With the temp dropping back below 16° at night, I seemed to feel more comfortable on the rear tyre although we still kept to our sedate pace and just pootled along. Apart from that I don’t remember a great deal of the section until we approached Gissy and there were red & blue lights flashing in the distance, and as we got close we could see there were several of them with a cop on the road so we pulled up to learn there had been an accident ahead and we had to detour around it. Luckily the cop advised it was a cage and not a bike so we continued, happy in the knowledge it wasn’t a Rusty Rider as we headed to the next fuel top-up for Steve at Wairoa. We finally pulled up to the Shell Wairoa at 2355 having only averaged 86kph to Gissy, but lifted that to 89kph for the 232Km from Opotiki.

With Steve gassed and me relieved again (yep….still the Dysentery Dog) we were ready to move onto the next checkpoint in Havelock……more pootling over good roads in the middle of the night and steady as she goes. We got a surprise though as we trundled through what we expected to be a ‘sleepy hollow’ at 0141 on a Sunday morning and it was buzzing with heaps of revellers and bright lights. We’d managed 86kph over this short 137Km leg.

We enjoyed a 15minute stop here to loosen up and have a snack, departing at 0155 to head along Middle Rd through Patangata, coming out at Waipawa and stopping for more gas at Waipuk’. Mike and Manu were still a few minutes ahead, but we seemed to be catching them and finally did so as we turned back onto SH2. We tucked in behind for the next few Km and arrived in Waipuk’ at 0236. (57Km at 84kph)

The four of us stuck together from here on, departing at 0248 for the next Checkpoint at Eketahuna. We did have to do a wee diversion through Takapau and Ormondville (to note some stupid sign for Red Metal), re-emerging on SH2 at Norsewood and once again, Steve and I were happy to tuck in behind the others. We hit some roadworks just before Woodville and as Manu and I were following along the same rut as Mike, we got led through a decent size pothole, seeing it coming with only enough time to think, ‘Oh shit!’ but not enough to react and avoid. I’d also put my wets back on in Havelock Nth, expecting to ride into bad weather (although though they also were keeping me warmer) and we did hit some heavy rain through here, but it was short lived and cleared for the rest of the journey. We were checking into an empty G.A.S. stop at 0412, doing the 128Km at 91kph and it was starting to feel like we were getting on top of the ride with only 360’ish Km and about 4 hours to go.

We continued on at 0422, with Mike and Manu still leading but once we got onto the road through Mangamaire and over the Track, I thought it was prudent to take the lead to give the Northerners something to follow, through what I assumed was unfamiliar territory. It was unfamiliar to all of us though because as we climbed and went over the Track itself, we were plunged into a real ‘Pea-Soup’ thick fog with what seemed like little more than 10-20metres visibility. I figured I had some idea of where the road was going and could maintain a reasonable pace, but when I was thinking I was coming into the tight right hander hairpin and it turned out to be a lefthander….well??!! We were soon out of it though, through Ashhurst and onto Feilding to get a top-up for Manu to get his Blackbird to Taihape. We rode into the BP at 0514 and were out again by 0520, with the plan to have another decent stop at the BP Taihape where we would get our last load of fuel for the ride.

We were filling by 0615 and had a good relax because after the 900Km on Friday, our butts were starting to feel pretty tight. I had been standing on the pegs to stretch as we went through 50kph zones, but by this stage, in order to stand, I would have to rock back and forth a few times to get enough momentum to get me out of the seat. I was also shuffling up onto the back seat for a change of pressure on the butt, but in order to even do that, I would have to put my left hand onto the back seat to lift myself off the front seat. I had also started to yawn, so the rest was welcome.

We got back on the road at 0648 and I felt alert and fresh again, we only had 200Km to go it was light and I had removed all the ‘wets’ (one of the reasons my butt was so sore). Mike led outr again as I declared I had done my bit and we meandered through Waiouru, across SH49, then onto the Whangaehu Valley Road to take Fields Track across to Kakatahi on the Parapara road for the last checkpoint. It was quite funny to be riding on the single lane Fields Track and to see a sign, “Road Narrows”!! It is quite beautiful through here though and the road is in pretty good condition at the moment, so by 0743 we had descended and were getting the cards punched for the last time.

I had set a target of 20 hours for the ride this time around, and I was feeling pretty good after the easy riding and frequent stops. As we were heading through Wairoa on the way to Gisborne, the GPS had been advising a finishing ETA of 0600, but that had steadily crept out and by the time I hopped back on the bike for the last squirt back to Turangi, the GPS was advising an ETA of 0859. “Damn!” I thought, I can’t go over the 20hours, so a bit of fun was required….and the roar as the ST took of from the CP ……was as squeaky & whiny as ever! I flew past Mike who had left moments before me as I settled into a nice brisk, but sub-fang pace. I was still generally riding within the ‘Allowable Limit’, occasionally edging over it on the way to Raetihi, then I eased back a notch. There had been a few slips through here and apparently one of them had come down as the lead rider was passing. It put him off his bike but he had been able to continue and by the time we came through, it had been cleared, but they had left a very greasy film of mud and gray papas clay on the surface. Care was therefore required and although the bike felt like it wanted to step out, care and a good line kept it on track…and me in the seat.

In no time I was scooting past Lake Rotoaira, through Rangipo and back to the camp with Steve in tow (He caught up at National Park) and we checked in at 0854. We had completed the 1616Km in 19:54 with a Total Avg of 81kph and Moving Avg of 92. What had seemed a rather gnarly, tight course on first look at the map, hadn’t actually been that bad after all, although we had tackled it sedately and that obviously had a lot to do with not getting too fatigued. We chatted over our hearty Rusty Finishers Feed, relaxed and chatted more in the sun, wandered down to the loacal Chinese for another feed and generally chilled out and chatted until finally retiring at around 2130, at which time I’d been up for nearly 40hours….and that certainly ensured I got a good 8hours kip.

Monday morning I was up again by 0600, packed, fed, fuelled and on the road for home by 0845. Steve was off to Napier, so we rode to the start of the Gentle Annie together, and the rest of the trip back to Wellington was a bit of an inconsequential blur down SH1, getting back to the office by 1216.

It was another awesome weekend, organised with the usual Rusty Efficiency. The rides and the feeds were great, and I now have 6 GC’s under my belt. I managed to do just under 3200Km over the five days and the bike is 40Km short of needing its 126,000Km service….that’s not bad since it only had the 120,000Km service on 26/09/11.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10015p.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	554.7 KB 
ID:	249919   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10017.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	249920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10018.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	249921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10024.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	277.6 KB 
ID:	249922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10025.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	332.8 KB 
ID:	249923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10026.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	266.7 KB 
ID:	249924  

Submit "2011 GC – The Long Weekend (Pt2)" to Digg Submit "2011 GC – The Long Weekend (Pt2)" to del.icio.us Submit "2011 GC – The Long Weekend (Pt2)" to StumbleUpon Submit "2011 GC – The Long Weekend (Pt2)" to Google Submit "2011 GC – The Long Weekend (Pt2)" to reddit Submit "2011 GC – The Long Weekend (Pt2)" to Facebook

Comments

Mmmm, enjoyed that. I also saw the farm equipment, but didn't get lured in quite as much as you
    That was a really enjoyable read! It definitely sounds like something that I would like to try in the future when I have more riding experience and a bigger bike. Thanks for writing up a great report.
    Team Hitcher really enjoyed this year's GC. The roadworks from Te Araroa to Opotiki were something special, as were some of the East Coast critters. We spent a bit of extra time at "stops" once we realised we didn't have to rush to complete. Good practice for the upcoming C1KC...
    Good write ups, thanks for that, and was good to meet you there
    Well, this one was full of fun and games! Glad to hear all was well and a great ride had!