View RSS Feed

PegLeg

The Coro Loop ... sort of...

Rate this Entry
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00056-20111119-1308.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	421.7 KB 
ID:	250923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00059-20111119-1442.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	493.0 KB 
ID:	250924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00062-20111119-1630.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	417.9 KB 
ID:	250925Well Marggy and I set off after she got home from taking her mum grocery shopping... (yes she really is that nice)

Unable or willing to face the Auckland traffic... I guided the Harley out through Morrinsville and Paeroa to Thames... we stopped at the Bakehouse for a coffee and then set forth around the various small bays and towns that make up the coastal section of the loop.... the Harley carving up the corners like a bike half its girth and weight.

The premiss for the ride was to give the upgraded rear suspension a good shake down prior to the up coming south Island run in February.... but I had an evil plan I had neglected to mention to Margaret.... the dreaded Alternative 309 Road to Whitianga .... (Cue dramatic music)

http://www.coromandeltown.co.nz/the-...-309-road.html

This is a road I have wanted to take for a while.... now was my opportunity.... the road is mainly dirt with a light sprinkle of gravel which would make it a challenge in the wet, but with the awesome Waikato weather made riding a breeze.... with little traffic and the most spectacular scenery.

With plenty of rain ruts, uneven surfaces and open drains to negotiate this is the domain of adventure bikes.... but the Harley ate it all up.... just asking for more...

We stopped for lunch in Whitianga sitting down by the water, it was a very quiet tranquil spot.... if having to compete with 1000 seagulls for your food is your thing...

Back on the road it was a quick blast back over the hill to Kopu... a quick pit stop and home.... as always these rides end way too soon...

This was the 1st real ride Marggy and I have done since my mother moved in and nursed till she passed away last month.... being back in the saddle ... Its like catching up with old mates.... it's just a place you want to be...

Marggy's performance on the back of the bike was sublime ... with me forgetting she was there till she would comment on the views or ask a question...

So we are all set... the bike is all sorted, helmet comms are reliable... bring it on summer

Submit "The Coro Loop ... sort of..." to Digg Submit "The Coro Loop ... sort of..." to del.icio.us Submit "The Coro Loop ... sort of..." to StumbleUpon Submit "The Coro Loop ... sort of..." to Google Submit "The Coro Loop ... sort of..." to reddit Submit "The Coro Loop ... sort of..." to Facebook

Comments

Thought I recognised this bike. You were heading onto the gravel part of the 309 just as I was leaving it. I was on the green KLR.

I thought you were a bid mad taking a shiny bike like this along that road! Glad to see you made it, was a brill day on Saturday.
    The 309 also has some nice swimming spots along its side. Probably a bit cold at this time of year still ...