View RSS Feed

yerzhaL

Brand new Mazda Motors regenerative braking system to roll out

Rate this Entry
A brand new regenerative braking mechanism has recently been revealed by Mazda Motors. The system utilizes kinetic power from braking to power the automobile's electrical system. The system has been named i-ELOOP, which is a play on the saying "intelligent power loop." The system is intended to make an internal combustion vehicle function as almost as possible like a hybrid vehicle. I found this at: New Mazda regenerative braking system to roll out

Changing power

The system converts kinetic braking power - usually lost to heat in the brakes - into electricity. That electricity is then sent to an Electric Double Layer Capacitor, or super-capacitor, for storage.

Save power with an i-stop system

You can save gas with the “i-stop” program named by Mazda that shuts off the motor automatically whenever the automobile stops. The electricity stored in the super-capacitor is then used to run auxiliary functions such as the sound system, lights, heating, and a/c. Then, you can get the engine to automatically start. The accelerator gets depressed at that point.

What is saved?

This system is good for stop-and-go city driving. That is where it will be probably the most useful. A Mazda Motors press release said:

“In real-world driving conditions with frequent acceleration and braking, ‘i-ELOOP’ improves fuel economy by approximately 10 percent.”

Reasons to keep away from it

As reported by “Car and Driver,” the machine may not work well for everyone. In fact, it discharges power quickly after only holding it for a very short while. The article also explains that the super-capacitor does not take long to charge. In fact, it will only take seconds. The super-capacitors last forever, it seems. You won’t need to replace them ever typically. This is certainly an advantage. Batteries don’t do it.

Like EfficientDynamics

The machine is comparable to the BMW EfficientDynamics system in that it stores power generated while braking. However, the BMW uses a more costly glass-mat battery rather than the capacitor.

Starting next year

The system will start appearing in cars as early as next year, according to Mazda.

Sources

AT-Top

AutoblogGreen

Car and Driver
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mazda-300x240.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	252551  

Submit "Brand new Mazda Motors regenerative braking system to roll out" to Digg Submit "Brand new Mazda Motors regenerative braking system to roll out" to del.icio.us Submit "Brand new Mazda Motors regenerative braking system to roll out" to StumbleUpon Submit "Brand new Mazda Motors regenerative braking system to roll out" to Google Submit "Brand new Mazda Motors regenerative braking system to roll out" to reddit Submit "Brand new Mazda Motors regenerative braking system to roll out" to Facebook

Comments