View RSS Feed

nzvlogger

Wanting to ride the dream...

Rate this Entry
I think its the pictures... My brother came back from his honeymoon travelling round NZ in a crusty old van. It wasn't the photos of the cows in the fields, or the streams or glaciers, but the amazing roads around the south island. Ever since watching "The Long Way Round" the amazing TV series with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman, ive wanted to travel round NZ on a bike.

The thought of the smooth winding rounds through the canyons and valleys around the south island fill me with hope that one day i will be able to ride them.

There must be something amazing about it, maybe even life changing if i done it right, i guess the biggest thing is.. do i do it on my own or take a good friend with me? Hell maybe this is just the start, maybe i should save some money and try a cross country American ride.

Today is the day im going to start properly thinking about how to do it, when to do it, and where to go. this is the start of a journey around our NZ, so keep an eye out for more posts!

Submit "Wanting to ride the dream..." to Digg Submit "Wanting to ride the dream..." to del.icio.us Submit "Wanting to ride the dream..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Wanting to ride the dream..." to Google Submit "Wanting to ride the dream..." to reddit Submit "Wanting to ride the dream..." to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That's a realy cool road eh.
    I want to go to the South Island one day, planned it once anbd didnt make it. It would be so much more fun with a good mate.

Have you seen TOTO and Gremlins blogs of the TT21000 and their south Island tour?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharry
    That's a realy cool road eh.
    I want to go to the South Island one day, planned it once anbd didnt make it. It would be so much more fun with a good mate.

Have you seen TOTO and Gremlins blogs of the TT21000 and their south Island tour?
    Yea was just reading those, very cool
    Travelling the South Island is well worth it, I'm the midst of my 5th trip I think, in about as many years, and currently I'm going down for 1-2 weeks every year. I prefer to bite a little bit off each year and leave plenty to go back for another year, rather than nail it all in a few weeks then have nothing.

There are so many good roads, and don't forget all the unsealed options as well, as that's really the best scenery you will find. You'll see in subsequent blogs that after the TT2000 we ride Lees Valley, Rainbow and Molesworth this time and there is still plenty left to do.

It depends how much you like riding, but Auckland-Wellington is only a day's riding for us, then add a ferry trip and you're exploring the South Island already. If you go back through my blogs you'll see the previous trips down there as well, which may give you some ideas of where you want to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    Travelling the South Island is well worth it, I'm the midst of my 5th trip I think, in about as many years, and currently I'm going down for 1-2 weeks every year. I prefer to bite a little bit off each year and leave plenty to go back for another year, rather than nail it all in a few weeks then have nothing.

There are so many good roads, and don't forget all the unsealed options as well, as that's really the best scenery you will find. You'll see in subsequent blogs that after the TT2000 we ride Lees Valley, Rainbow and Molesworth this time and there is still plenty left to do.

It depends how much you like riding, but Auckland-Wellington is only a day's riding for us, then add a ferry trip and you're exploring the South Island already. If you go back through my blogs you'll see the previous trips down there as well, which may give you some ideas of where you want to go.
    Yea i could easily get to Wellington in a day with a couple stops, but the south is what im really looking foward to. it would almost be a warm up ride to the best stuff