View RSS Feed

splatcat

convert bike to trike probs hmmm

Rate this Entry
well not sure that i,ve enjoyed all the tig weilding for cert plus picking up second hand drive shaft was not my best idea for the week. just wondering how others have got along doing their converts as this my first try.

Submit "convert bike to trike probs hmmm" to Digg Submit "convert bike to trike probs hmmm" to del.icio.us Submit "convert bike to trike probs hmmm" to StumbleUpon Submit "convert bike to trike probs hmmm" to Google Submit "convert bike to trike probs hmmm" to reddit Submit "convert bike to trike probs hmmm" to Facebook

Comments

When do you think you'll have it done? If you've got plenty of photos, and have it documented, it'd be a good ongoing article for www.thirteenmotorcyclemagazine.co.nz
    yes have a few photos of job in progress.will do best to post.
    public album on profile will do more as i go along cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Rider
    When do you think you'll have it done? If you've got plenty of photos, and have it documented, it'd be a good ongoing article for www.thirteenmotorcyclemagazine.co.nz
    you can tell not pc minded but will get use to this site in time have put public album on profile on work so far cheers.
    when are you expecting it to be finished?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Rider
    when are you expecting it to be finished?
    giving myself three months to do ,fingers crossed all goes well and using over summer.
    Interesting, why the TIG welding for certification? a clean high pentration mig weld for a couple of those
    welds or fish plating of the axle would have been ok.

the biggest thing with low volume cert everyone has a different opinion
    however I do like how you have captured the rear axle in a over top C notch.
    even with two bolts missing the axle is still captured to a point.

the only part that concerns me is your rear brake master cylinder setup
    I can certainly understand the standard M/C rear cylinder is not big enough
    or the oringal bike in question was a drum rear rod pull ?
    ( Im not a bike guru ) however to me looks like a rod pull from under the
    swing arm? could you throw a little more light on the subject?
    Quote Originally Posted by carburator
    Interesting, why the TIG welding for certification? a clean high pentration mig weld for a couple of those
    welds or fish plating of the axle would have been ok.

the biggest thing with low volume cert everyone has a different opinion
    however I do like how you have captured the rear axle in a over top C notch.
    even with two bolts missing the axle is still captured to a point.

the only part that concerns me is your rear brake master cylinder setup
    I can certainly understand the standard M/C rear cylinder is not big enough
    or the oringal bike in question was a drum rear rod pull ?
    ( Im not a bike guru ) however to me looks like a rod pull from under the
    swing arm? could you throw a little more light on the subject?
    using 3/4 trailer master cylinder and going to enlarge rod pulling gear.when i rang cert guy in chch new rules were that all my work had to be tig weilded plus had to build complete new swing arm and not to use old one at all.plus tail shaft has to be fully covered .rather mig and arc myself but hey tig only takes three times as long .as i said first timer any advice will be taken well aye.
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by splatcat
    using 3/4 trailer master cylinder and going to enlarge rod pulling gear.when i rang cert guy in chch new rules were that all my work had to be tig weilded plus had to build complete new swing arm and not to use old one at all.plus tail shaft has to be fully covered .rather mig and arc myself but hey tig only takes three times as long .as i said first timer any advice will be taken well aye.
    thanks
    well first any weld that can affect loss of brakes has to be NDT ( non destructive tested )
    your upper pivot in my eyes is rather a weak spot of design and funtion.

I can see why you have located the master cylinder where you have due to constraints
    of swing arm pivot and that lump of a motor in the way

I certainly would have a double shear bracket for your upper linkage pivot point insteat of
    that bit of flat infact id get a bit of box, cut the ass out of it and notch it so you can get
    weld on two shear force faces

if some one could tell me how to add pics from a url and not my hd i could post some..

seems to be one rule for some over the welding, having said that ive seem some beautiful mig
    welds that where not worth a cup of cold snot. mine gets put to the test

with tig welding, good gas flow, super clean surface prep ( remove all paint, definitly hit the
    weld area with a stainless buff on a grinder and i certainly degrease with brake cleaner )
    there are a couple of wives tales on the net about welding and brake cleaner and hell ive been
    at it for years and are better in breath and health than a smoker.. must be the brand i use...?

using a higher grade filler rod than parent material ( stainless is a classic ) but also with steel
    certainly helps the miller website is also a good resource for settings and eletrode selection
    Mig wire makes great filler rod, more so when dealing with a weld that just won't behave
    ( you certainly know the ones i mean )

sorry about the novel... regars matt..
    pic,s under settings i found part way down on left column and no probs on novel as any info or points are taken in as job on going concern thanks .one thing i found is slave cylinders need to be lower than master .thanks again .i mig weild every day at work so having to tig sucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by carburator
    well first any weld that can affect loss of brakes has to be NDT ( non destructive tested )
    your upper pivot in my eyes is rather a weak spot of design and funtion.

I can see why you have located the master cylinder where you have due to constraints
    of swing arm pivot and that lump of a motor in the way

I certainly would have a double shear bracket for your upper linkage pivot point insteat of
    that bit of flat infact id get a bit of box, cut the ass out of it and notch it so you can get
    weld on two shear force faces

if some one could tell me how to add pics from a url and not my hd i could post some..

seems to be one rule for some over the welding, having said that ive seem some beautiful mig
    welds that where not worth a cup of cold snot. mine gets put to the test

with tig welding, good gas flow, super clean surface prep ( remove all paint, definitly hit the
    weld area with a stainless buff on a grinder and i certainly degrease with brake cleaner )
    there are a couple of wives tales on the net about welding and brake cleaner and hell ive been
    at it for years and are better in breath and health than a smoker.. must be the brand i use...?

using a higher grade filler rod than parent material ( stainless is a classic ) but also with steel
    certainly helps the miller website is also a good resource for settings and eletrode selection
    Mig wire makes great filler rod, more so when dealing with a weld that just won't behave
    ( you certainly know the ones i mean )

sorry about the novel... regars matt..