View RSS Feed

Selected ponderings from my life

A sudden urge to...get in to the unknown. By Conquiztador

Rate this Entry
I wanted to travel from Haumoana (outside Napier) to Palmerston Nth. A easy 2 hour trip. I have done this trip a multitude of multitude of times. There was many options of how to travel, but in my wisdom I decided to take my 65 Pan. As I had plans to ride on her to Waihi Beach to see Blacklistt and Devilskin (and one more band that escapes me) on 22 Dec I concluded that this would be a good presidents run...

The plan was to do a daylight run. My notes told me that I was to leave at 2pm and arrive at 4 - 4.30pm.

As I kicked PanGirl to life at 5pm I knew I would make it before the sun settled. After all, a bike with a small battery as there was no electric start, and a 12 volt generator was better suited for daylight riding. (As she is a classic she does not need to follow the stoopid rule of lights on 24/7).

She starts well. First kick. Yep, I be happy to have a beer on it anytime. Happily I rode towards the south. At Waipukurau the clutch was not working. But I did not consider this an issue, just a small nuicense. So I stopped for petrol.

After I had filled the tank and paid, I decided to check the clutch. I found that the whole basket was loose and hitting the cover. So, as you do, I took my tools, disassembled the trans and the clutch. I fixed the issues and then re-assembled it all, and it worked well. (This was 2 1/2 hours later and the clock was now 8.30pm and the sun was starting to hide behind the hills).

I got to Dannevirke w/o issues. (If you disregard the crappy lights and cars that were up my azz) But as I tried to change down, I found that there was no clutch. I stopped at Mobile, but was told that the lights would go out in less than one hour. I pushed my girl to Caltex. There I stripped it all again, my girl dropped to her r/h side and broke the kick start, (She was in a peed off mode. The way only girls can be) and I managed to rebuild the clutch and stop it all falling apart by using Super Glue (No idea how I will take it apart...). At 1am I asked the lady at the station to push start the bike for me (remember, I had no kick start). She had done thhis before, and I was on my way.

9 hours from leaving Haumoana I was at my destination. Not bad...

To get back I borrowed a Duke, then took the Duke back in my van and pushed PanGirl in there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0001.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	821.8 KB 
ID:	274810

Was a brilliant day for a ride!!!!

Submit "A sudden urge to...get in to the unknown.   By Conquiztador" to Digg Submit "A sudden urge to...get in to the unknown.   By Conquiztador" to del.icio.us Submit "A sudden urge to...get in to the unknown.   By Conquiztador" to StumbleUpon Submit "A sudden urge to...get in to the unknown.   By Conquiztador" to Google Submit "A sudden urge to...get in to the unknown.   By Conquiztador" to reddit Submit "A sudden urge to...get in to the unknown.   By Conquiztador" to Facebook

Comments

Well done for getting there then. I always stop at that Caltex in d'virke if I need gas around that area. There 24 hrs and always good service.