View RSS Feed

nerrrd

Camping trip v2.0: Coromandel / Waihi / Bay of Plenty / East Cape

Rate this Entry
So I ended up going on a very different trip for my second go at camping (which makes me an expert now).

Instead of going on my own this time I got to travel in the company of Bosslady, who had decided she wanted to have a go at camping also. Turns out there wasn't much camping after all - you can read her blog if you want to find out the details of the trip, and her experience of it, but I thought I would chime in with a short note on how it was for me.

Ashamed as I am to say it now, given how difficult the trip ended up being for her, I had a great time. She was great company, undauntable (is that a word?) and I got to ride some great roads (for me) and see some great parts of the country. I actually felt like I was starting to get a handle on riding on the open road, a mere 5 years after I came back to two wheels.

The only downside for me was the worrying, which was pretty constant once it became clear that everything wasn't going according to plan, and having to take the unfamiliar role of leading on the road, not being sure how fast/slow to go in places, not sure where we were going to stop etc.

It wasn't easy, I take my hat off to those who organise trips like this for others (I'm looking at you Maha and Mom) but I'd do it all again tomorrow (only hopefully make a better job of it - no guarantees though).

So yeah, for me it was a guilty pleasure, sorry Boss.

Submit "Camping trip v2.0: Coromandel / Waihi / Bay of Plenty / East Cape" to Digg Submit "Camping trip v2.0: Coromandel / Waihi / Bay of Plenty / East Cape" to del.icio.us Submit "Camping trip v2.0: Coromandel / Waihi / Bay of Plenty / East Cape" to StumbleUpon Submit "Camping trip v2.0: Coromandel / Waihi / Bay of Plenty / East Cape" to Google Submit "Camping trip v2.0: Coromandel / Waihi / Bay of Plenty / East Cape" to reddit Submit "Camping trip v2.0: Coromandel / Waihi / Bay of Plenty / East Cape" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

There is a huge amount of organising a trip Rodney. Most of which goes into making it as easy/comfortable and affordable for everyone who attends to be honest. It's always pleasing when, at the end of the trip, most have had a great time of it...Making an workable itinerary and sticking to it is achievable when those with you (and I speaking a large group situation) stick to it. On one trip, a group made an unsheduled stop which threw things a bit for others and then dicided to stop for coffee at a different place than organised. Which in itself was not that bad, I normally phone a cafe' in the planning, to let them know how many are coming and about what time. On that occassion, I did not phone ahead so wasn't an issue...can be like herding cats at times... I like things to run smooth as possible... and that almost happens

Be sure to keep an eye out for our 3rd annual three day Northland trip to the Cape in November. We are going up Queens birthday to to check out a few things and sort out accomodation rate/dates.
    Great tenting area, you will be amazed. Nice grass area two steps from the beach and looking out over cable bay.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-(20-November)