View RSS Feed

nerrrd

East Cape 2.0: sometimes I go back

Rate this Entry
Not having anything planned for Queen's Birthday weekend I decided to go back to East Cape and finish what I started last month - this time head from Opotiki to Gisborne through the Waioeka gorge, then up the coast to Te Araroa and back around to Opotiki via the road already travelled - not sure why but I wanted to complete the East Cape 'loop' .

The gorge was probably the main reason. When I was a kid I used to tag along with my Dad in the school holidays as he drove all over the North Island for work, and I remember it being the highlight for me of one of our trips, the landscape made quite an impression on me.

This time it was just me and my trusty motorcycle, no camping, nice comfy motel rooms instead.

Overall it was a good trip, didn't take any wrong turns although I did take the long way around a couple of times. I've got a USB accessory socket now on the bike and a GPS case on order which I'm hoping will make navigating through small towns a bit easier for me in future; haven't made the new phone which actually works vs dedicated GPS unit decision yet.

Best parts of the trip: - The weather - don't know how it was where you were on Sunday but it was almost too sunny on Sunday as I headed from Gisborne up the coast to Te Araroa. Bright blue sky, sparkling blue ocean, beautiful bays, rolling green hills; not bad at all.

- The Waioeka gorge - I'm a big fan of rugged landscapes, only trouble was being on a motorcycle I had to concentrate more on the road than the scenery. Also I timed it badly and didn't want to stop anywhere in case I didn't make it to Gisborne before dark. Oddly I ended up following a cabbage tree through most of it (being towed on a trailer with what looked like the rest of somebody's worldly possessions).

- A couple of strangers came up and started talking to me about the trips they'd done on their bikes - this motorcycling business is good practice for the socially-challenged (I need more of that).

- I got a wave from a passing ambulance - just after I'd stopped somewhere and was feeling a bit tired, whereupon my phone spontaneously started playing ELO's "Strange Magic" through the headphones I've been using as earplugs, which cheered me up no end (which others may find merely strange).

- Recently purchased Merino thermals - think I would have been much more uncomfortable without them (wind chill really is a sod). Also I managed to make myself stop a bit more regularly this time, seems my back starts aching after about an hour in the saddle which is a good way of keeping track (although I'd rather it didn't).

Worst parts: - The uphill left hand turn on some roadworks that was all slick clay or pockets of large stones; I felt like I was losing momentum and sliding down the camber, but the bike kept going with me hanging on to the shuddering handlebars until we made it through - probably a mountain out of a molehill but I reckon that bike gets me out of so much trouble it's ridiculous.

- The takeaway near the motel in Gisborne that was closed by the time I got there at 7pm on a Saturday night, meaning I had to walk back to the motel, put all my gear back on and take the bike into town for food. The motel in Opotiki that had everything but the kitchen sink - seriously there was no sink - fridge, microwave, dishwashing paraphernalia and plastic basin, but I had to fill up the basin from the shower to do the dishes. The fact that the movie on Sky on Saturday night was one I'd seen on DVD about three days earlier (good movie, though: "Hanna").

- Waving but not really talking to the other bikers in Te Araroa - was that Grashopper? (edit: yes I think it was...) Did speak briefly to one of them, think I recognized him also (see "needs more practice" comment above). Hope you had a good trip.

- The surprisingly large duck (I think?) that almost flew into me. The nasty looking pit-bull type dog that chased me down the open road (can't help thinking that could only ever turn out badly for the dog…)

Next trip: Ohakune at the end of the month, could be a wee bit chilly.

Submit "East Cape 2.0: sometimes I go back" to Digg Submit "East Cape 2.0: sometimes I go back" to del.icio.us Submit "East Cape 2.0: sometimes I go back" to StumbleUpon Submit "East Cape 2.0: sometimes I go back" to Google Submit "East Cape 2.0: sometimes I go back" to reddit Submit "East Cape 2.0: sometimes I go back" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great read Rodney, there are some nice roads on your next trip pending. We did the East Cape in 08' and done in sunshine the whole way. I have an over night ride pin the making for the end of August so keep an eye out for that, something a little different
    Was me you were speaking with in Ta Araroa. We met on one of Mark and Anne's rides.

Had thought it was you, saw you in a couple of different places along the way Mamaku's etc obviously on your way to to Rotorua and we also follow the trailer with a palm tree for a while.
    Thanks Mark, I'll keep an eye out sounds interesting.

Thought I recognised you but couldn't quite remember, sorry Grant . Definitely remember your avatar tho (poor stickman).
    We did call in and see you Grant, but you weren't home...

The thread is up now in Meetings Rodney.
    Maraehaku retreat in whangarua bay is my new fav spot heading around the east cape cheap with great views to boot
    Cool sounds like you had a blast Rod! Sorry I couldn't make it this time!
    Yeah I think I had fun again. Need to plan ahead next time so I can stop in interesting places as I go along. Also want to get a better idea of how to ride on loose surfaces/unsealed roads - was thinking of going to the lighthouse at East Cape but chickened out after my 'moment' on the road works 'cos I read somewhere it was mostly unsealed.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd
    was thinking of going to the lighthouse at East Cape but chickened out after my 'moment' on the road works 'cos I read somewhere it was mostly unsealed.
    The seal stops just outside Te Araroa, and then the short trip towards the lighthouse is all gravel. Just practise on gravel, get used to how the bike handles etc, and like anything, the more you practise, the better you will get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    The seal stops just outside Te Araroa, and then the short trip towards the lighthouse is all gravel. Just practise on gravel, get used to how the bike handles etc, and like anything, the more you practise, the better you will get.

its sealed from the bridge for @ 5-10km then broken sections of sealed & unsealed road before the final section heading to the lighthouse, I would suggest its only @10km of unsealed road leading to the lighthouse, worth it for the view though
    I did the Opotiki to Gissy run a few weeks ago. Part of a ride that turned into 3000km in the rain round the nth isl Had I known how bad it was I prob would have left it til the next day.. 150km in pouring rain in the dark with slips and trees down just took the fun factor away..Would be a great ride in the sun I feel..next time.