View RSS Feed

Scubbo

super sherpa story

Rate this Entry

recently picked up a 1998 kawasaki super sherpa (KL250-H2) with approx 9500KM on it, a fair bit of rust on the muffler/join clamp and some rust on nearly all bolt heads and some on the frame frame

the previous owner(s) have stripped the threads in the crank case? for the oil drain bolt, and I received the bike on very low oil with a whole lot of locktite sludge around the bolt holding it in. still the bike started fine. the air filter element one side had holes in it and was flaking away

since picking it up, i've done an oil change / oil filter / new air element --- still havent installed a helicoil/timesert to fix the sump threads and havent dealt with any surface rust yet --- new oil and air element has made the bike start easy every morning and warmup/run well as a daily work commuter

I plan on cleaning up the rust and sorting the sumpplug next, then probably some barkbusters, also looked into longer range fuel tank as at the moment I get around 150KM before switching to reserve which i've heard is 1/3rd total tank size approx 200Km range total --- sounds like the most reliable/easy option is the IMS 4gal xr650l

there are a few options for panniers and a screen to help with open road speeds but will see how she goes...

Submit "super sherpa story" to Digg Submit "super sherpa story" to del.icio.us Submit "super sherpa story" to StumbleUpon Submit "super sherpa story" to Google Submit "super sherpa story" to reddit Submit "super sherpa story" to Facebook

Comments

Good on ya fella. Gotta start somewhere. Good luck with the bike, and happy travels.