View RSS Feed

Three months around Europe

Senior Kiwi in Central America part 5

Rate this Entry
REFLECTIONS

My trip in Central America is nearly over. I just have a little over 300km to ride from El Tunco back to Guatemala City via Antigua.

In three months , the Suzuki 125 and I travelled 6000km through five countries - Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Costa Rica and the only problems were self inflicted when I fell off the bike and broke the clutch lever and the gear shift. I bodged a fix and a local mechanic made a permanent job. Cost $10. I serviced the bike twice and the cost was $10 a time including filters, oil and spark plug.

When I first suggested this trip there were sharp intakes of breath from friends and family and I read about horror border crossing stories. I never felt unsafe. My border crossings, even with minimal Spanish , were simple and straightforward, the staff professional and helpful. The only propina I paid was $2 to get my stamp during the Honduran lunch break saving me a couple of hours. I got stopped several times by Police and Army roadblocks but there was never any hint of a fine or shakedown in sharp contrast to my experiences in the Ukraine and Eastern Europe.

I often wonder if my 60 plus age gives me an advantage.

Road behaviour was good. Cars and trucks gave me a wide passing berth. I rode at dusk once and that was lesson enough. Sure the roads were a little basic in places, but the bike handled them well.

Accommodation was plentiful and spending between $10 and $20 a night got me a clean private room with facilities and often breakfast. You can do it cheaper, but after a day in the water or on the bike, a cold beer , shower and a quiet room are to me worth the extra dosh.

The bike was comfortable and I am 6ft 2in and weigh 95kg (210lb). I could handle 300km in a day no problems. I wore kevlar bike jeans,hiking boots and a semi mesh riding jacket. I would stop every hour and drink. I started off with a camelbak but lost it early in the trip. I could cruise at 60/70kph - around 5500rpm, fuel consumption was 40kpl so a normal day's ride cost less than $5 in fuel.

I often shared lodgings with backpackers and they seemed forever rushing to meet bus schedules. I rode mostly in the morning , took some paths less travelled , avoided the need to wait for shuttles to a good surf beach and I seemed to get through borders quicker.

I now head back to Europe, to pick up my motorhome and head for Austria for some skiing . My wife and I will then continue travelling through Europe and head back to NZ in October.

I have a desire to ride my V strom from UK to NZ in 2015. The initial response from the Pakistani and Iranian embassies has been positive and Myanmar now looks possible to transit. So a plan is taking place. Any advice or tips would be gratefully received. I also plan to do South America but that is further down the line.

For me, my journey through Central America on a little local bike met all and often exceeded my expectations. I felt safe, secure and had a sense of independence from the freedom the little Suzuki gave me.

It was a trip worth making

Ride Safe

Peter

Submit "Senior Kiwi in Central America part 5" to Digg Submit "Senior Kiwi in Central America part 5" to del.icio.us Submit "Senior Kiwi in Central America part 5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Senior Kiwi in Central America part 5" to Google Submit "Senior Kiwi in Central America part 5" to reddit Submit "Senior Kiwi in Central America part 5" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Cool, I'm so envious.
    Another fine read Plum