View RSS Feed

No Title

Summer's Gone - Newbie Riding Review

Rate this Entry
Back on 4th March I posted up thread from which the following entries are extracted to this blogg:

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Good stuff, BB - always good to have reminders about safety.
And I am impressed by the amount of km's you have put on your bike!

Yesterday a bikie friend came over and we watched about half dozen crash videos (YouTube, etc) and that sobered us up quickly! In each case they were simply going too fast so that the "12 second horizon ahead" and other safety factors were meaningless.

As far as I am concerned, the more I reminders I get about safety, the better.
Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
In the last couple of weeks my cornering skills have improved greatly. I worked on it by going up to the Rimatuka summit three times, and various other rides in the Wairarapa including one today to Castlepoint on a group ride. I found several good articles on the internet about cornering, printed and read them, then went out to do as in the articles. Riding in a group has helped me quite a bit.

The other thing I have managed to cope with is riding in the wind. Holy crappola its been very WINDY recently! Trying to manage a tight corner with a sudden side gust of wind makes it all interesting, but I found total concentration was the key. Battling the wind on the Rimatukas yesterday and today to Castlepoint has left me knackered but also with a sense of accomplishment.
Quote Originally Posted by discotex View Post
Wow where do I start.

What I learned this summer.

a) 600cc supersports are farkin quick. Seriously, going for an inline-four thou after a 250 is suicide (and I'm 29 and responsible - well kinda).

b) One trackday is worth 1000km on the road. You learn so much more about cornering and braking in such a short space of time. Not for the beginner but once you're pretty confident on the road it's the next logical step.

c) You can never get complacent. Every now and again I find myself taking risks that I normally wouldn't. You have to spot it happening and dial it back a notch.

d) Actually more like part 2 of c. Bad situations develop so much quicker on a full sized bike. Yes that power and handling can help but they can also get you in teh shite real quick.

e) High beam on when splitting make a world of difference. Try it and be amazed.

I'm sure there's more but I got other threads to needle
Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313 View Post
Nice one Buckbuck, reminding all and sundry about the transitions of the different seasons of motorcycling!

Always a good time to ride a bike, riding through all weathers and night helps the skills and the confidence no end! Or.. is that just me?
Quote Originally Posted by discotex View Post
WTF?

The only bad time to get a bike is later.

Submit "Summer's Gone - Newbie Riding Review" to Digg Submit "Summer's Gone - Newbie Riding Review" to del.icio.us Submit "Summer's Gone - Newbie Riding Review" to StumbleUpon Submit "Summer's Gone - Newbie Riding Review" to Google Submit "Summer's Gone - Newbie Riding Review" to reddit Submit "Summer's Gone - Newbie Riding Review" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments