View RSS Feed

No Title

Winter Solstice Ride 2008

Rate this Entry
Last year we did a winter solstice ride up to Alfredton and Eketahuna, so thought it appropriate to set up a ride for 2008. Note this 2008 ride is shorter,going as far as Mauriceville then back to Gladstone.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckBuckNo1 View Post
For Sunday 22 June 2008

Elapsed Timeframe including stops and Lunch - 11am to 4.30pm:

Caltex Rimutex Upper Hutt – Carterton – Masterton – Mauriceville – Masterton – Gladstone – Carterton – Caltex Rimutex Upper Hutt.

Distance 210km

Gathering points Carterton and Masterton

Lunch – Gladstone Approximately 2.15pm

Caltex Rimutex SH2 Upper Hutt:
10.45 am for 11.00am departure.

Ride to Carterton gathering point at Wild Oats Cafe then onto Mobil Service Station Masterton (north end of town through large roundabout SH2)

Masterton
12.30 for 12.45 departure.
Depending on numbers attending I suggest we then leave in staggered groups [senior, then intermediate/novice] for the main loop circuit from Masterton:

Masterton – Mauriceville – Masterton Loop then directly to Gladstone

[On Friday 30 May I rode this journey, the weather was superb, brisk but bright and sunny. The ride out from Masterton was along SH52, that is the road to Alfredton, and approximately half way to Alfredton I turned left onto Dreyers Rock Rd which leads back across to Mauriceville (and numerous railway crossings) and joins SH2 south to Masterton. Generally the road is open view however does close up to tighter corners in the shadows with extra caution for wet and slippery surfaces reducing speed to 30kph in places.]

I stopped in at the Gladstone Hotel just around 2pm and spoke to Sara there and alerted her that there is a ride on Sunday 22 June. I said to her I should be able to give her an indication of numbers for lunch later that afternoon and approximate arrival time, before we set off from Masterton on the loop circuit. At the Mobil Service Station I will ask for a show of hands from those wanting a meal and phone this through. Sara has taken a diary booking “subject to fine riding weather” and she says that two o’clock onwards should be okay as the main lunch gathering will be finishing and we could expect seating for up to 25 inside, and for the hearty souls plenty of room outside.]

On the actual riding day 22nd June allowing for a meal break in Gladstone, I would expect the ride back over the hill to Upper Hutt finishing at somewhere between 4pm – 4.30pm. Of course after lunch the ride has concluded and you may want to ride home via Martinborough perhaps.

I did this ride on Friday between 11am to 3pm comfortably with two 15 minute rest stops.

Some of you will note that I have kept the Eketahuna/Alfredton and Water Tower sections on the map [see link below] for those wanting a longer ride. I have also contacted Elle33f and for those of you arriving back in Carterton much later, then Elle and Chris may open up earlier that Sunday for pizza and you can go next door to eat. Elle and I will touch base before the ride with an update for you about pizzas.

Here is the link to this years calendar to put down your name if you are interested in attending:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/ca...&day=2008-6-22

Here is a map with several routes:

http://www.quikmaps.com/show/67617

Here is the link back to last years ride:
June 2007 - Wellington Wairarapa Winter Solstice Ride Photos here
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=52422

Heads Up and Enjoy

Submit "Winter Solstice Ride 2008" to Digg Submit "Winter Solstice Ride 2008" to del.icio.us Submit "Winter Solstice Ride 2008" to StumbleUpon Submit "Winter Solstice Ride 2008" to Google Submit "Winter Solstice Ride 2008" to reddit Submit "Winter Solstice Ride 2008" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments