View RSS Feed

skidMark's Blog

1981 Suzuki GS650G katana Project.

Rate this Entry
Well where do i stat, i had to fight and handbags at 10 paces to even get a projects section under blogging, but here we are, so lets rip right into it eh!.

So while i was in the south island i bought a katana, rode the wheels off it, got busted by cops heading back to auckland, had to leave it behind in impound, while it was down there i tracked down a spae parts bike in auckland that had been in storage for 10 years. old owner moved house etc, and basically forgot about her in his garage.

the spare parts ones registration lapsed

so it will be a mix of the two beasts, my "south island" katana has an engine that burns oil and a jumpy 2nd gear, so it will inherit the spare parts bikes motor amongst othe goodies, all the best pats of the two will go into one to make a lovely bike.

So the South Island Katana arived last week thanks to Biketranz. (www.biketranz.co.nz , full review of them under KB bike and product reviews on the foum)

So up to the garden shed it went, and within 3 hours, i was left with a bare frame , next day i cracked into it by buying some wire wheels, and getting out the mighty drill.

8 hours of grinding away with a wire wheel i am still only 70% done, what a pig of a job to prep the fame for paint!

But this is a labour of love project, and i did not want to just do a quick liquid strip / dip and powdercoat, the years have no been kind to my old girl, i wish i could have used the spare parts bikes frame but i am not going through a revin if i can help it. ( i MAY still restore the other katana from the pile of bits i am left with, to make a race bike from it) my fame has pitting here or there that i do want to address as i am not going to do anything on this project half arsed.

I know i'm babbling alot, but this first post/blog sets down the groundwork for all that will follow with the project fom this point.

I would put up pictures of the frame but ahhh my camera is being funny so going to have to hijack a mates one i think.

I will egulaily update as i go along, i have given myself until the end of may, (retun of my license) to complete this project.

Skid.

Submit "1981 Suzuki GS650G katana Project." to Digg Submit "1981 Suzuki GS650G katana Project." to del.icio.us Submit "1981 Suzuki GS650G katana Project." to StumbleUpon Submit "1981 Suzuki GS650G katana Project." to Google Submit "1981 Suzuki GS650G katana Project." to reddit Submit "1981 Suzuki GS650G katana Project." to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Way to go Mark. Waiting on the picies

Have you decided what colours are you going to paint the bike?

Sounds like you will have fun. Keep the updates coming - will watch with interest.
    Toto i am still deciding, i want to keep it resonabl origional as this is more of a resto job nothing radical, but i do want her to be my bike as well jsut slight hints to make it unique, so instead of black frame i am going for a red frame, and the wheels will be black instead of silver, with red pinstriped wheels.
    Mark - I respectfully request you don't go the red frame route. It's your bike at the end of the day but IMO the red frame thing looks wank factor 9 on most bikes unless there is something very special about the frame to justify making it stand out.
    The Katana has such nice lines with it's body that it would be a shame to detract from them with bright frame work.
    Stupid blog only allows 500 characters!!!!!!!
    here's the rest of my rant.
    There was one in Trevor Pierce a while back with a blue frame - same thing - stuffed up the bodies flow.
    I vaguely recall very late models(pop-up light) having gold frames. By they were no longer 'real' Katanas.
    Should be interesting to watch, good luck with it, I used to own a GS650, oh photos or it did not happen.
    make sure its got gas in it homo
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark
    Toto i am still deciding, i want to keep it resonabl origional as this is more of a resto job nothing radical, but i do want her to be my bike as well jsut slight hints to make it unique, so instead of black frame i am going for a red frame, and the wheels will be black instead of silver, with red pinstriped wheels.
    Hi, I am a new member to this site and it has been the recent purchase of a 1981 Suzuki GS650G Katana that has led my search for info to Kiwi Biker.
    I am keen to know how your project panned out. Yes I know it was 9 years ago but can't see any further posts.
    What I have bought is very rusted/ oxidised and basically parts in a box. Not sure how it will all work out but here goes I suppose. Thje last time I rode a bike was 50 years ago and I'm not a mechanic, but am really keen to succeed with this project. The project is to get it running and track worthy for a bit of track fun. Maybe a Cafe Racer type machine.