View RSS Feed

The Chronicles of Sled

The Chronicals of Sled:The "Big Twin" Update

Rate this Entry
It's time I got around to an update as the bigbore twin is now together and running.

As I have limited amounts of all necessary resourses I have not been able to get any of my bottom end "wish list" stuff done. I have run the bike up to the operational design speed I was aiming for, ahem

The engine doesn't seem to be at its potential yet in terms of outright performance, I haven't done any tuning as such I just replaced the pistons and rings made sure they had heaps of clearance from the valves and left everything else the same.

See the photo's of the before and after.

The old pistons and rings were pretty shot but the bike ran ok and carburetted well enough it just wasn't sharp. I spent a lot of time with the tacho over 10k just to get the thing really moving.

Now the thing hauls ass! it pulls cleanly and is strong from about 7 to 127??

The motor did feel a little slow to build revs and I know this is due to the lack of setup but it doesn't need to. The increase in torque is amazing, the conditions probably weren't the best for true comparison but I can say the rear tyre is starting to earn its keep.

I had to rush the assembly a bit because I didn't want to miss the weekend race meeting as I'm leading that championship at the half way point and its one I've yet to win. The results speak for themselve's so far as I managed a victory and I third to extend my lead. But there must be so far to go with compression, jetting, timing etc. I can't wait, I have a dyno run next week and have a few things to fix and sort before then.
Down to the garage!

Submit "The Chronicals of Sled:The "Big Twin" Update" to Digg Submit "The Chronicals of Sled:The "Big Twin" Update" to del.icio.us Submit "The Chronicals of Sled:The "Big Twin" Update" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Chronicals of Sled:The "Big Twin" Update" to Google Submit "The Chronicals of Sled:The "Big Twin" Update" to reddit Submit "The Chronicals of Sled:The "Big Twin" Update" to Facebook

Comments