View RSS Feed

The Chronicles of Sled

The Chronicles of Sled: I've lost inches off my bottom!

Rate this Entry
Well the Leadsled has.

Gone are the mismatched 3 and 4 inch rims and the rear contact patch that was all but gone at 15 degrees lean angle.

The front wheel conversion was less than simple as the first pic will illustrate.

I bet your saying to yourself why didn't you just find bearing with the right ID/OD to make this easy, turkey!

Mr Kawasaki didn't want me to put ZZR250 wheels into my ZXR250 so he choose bearings that don't have corresponding sizes, ironically there are bearings with larger ID and smaller OD but not in the combination I need.

So from left to right in pic 1 we start with the 20mm ZXR axle that is being replaced. In the middle is the new axle that uses the 15mm of the ZZR wheel bearings and on the right the stock ZZR axle.
As you can se the thread on the ZZR axle is quite small (14mm) so would be rather sloppy in the 20mm ZXR threaded fork. We got round the by making a male/female threaded insert (bottom centre of pic 1) to take the 14mm axle thread up to 20mm, this screws into the inside of the ZXR fork that remains unmodified (because you just never know).

The ZZR also uses a single disc setup on the right side of the bike, fortunatly the ZXR had a twin disc front end so the caliper mounts were ready to accept a modified bracket carrying a caliper from a Chinese 150cc scooter

The rear axles were the same size so simple spacers and a skim of the sprocket carrier were all that was needed to complete this end.

So now I have a 2.15 x 17 front rim and a 3.5 x 17 rear, ready for nice 125gp bike slicks, yeeahh!

There's probably much easier ways of losing 1.35 inches from your bottom but they don't give you that satisfying smell of cutting metal

Submit "The Chronicles of Sled: I've lost inches off my bottom!" to Digg Submit "The Chronicles of Sled: I've lost inches off my bottom!" to del.icio.us Submit "The Chronicles of Sled: I've lost inches off my bottom!" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Chronicles of Sled: I've lost inches off my bottom!" to Google Submit "The Chronicles of Sled: I've lost inches off my bottom!" to reddit Submit "The Chronicles of Sled: I've lost inches off my bottom!" to Facebook

Comments