View RSS Feed

EatOrBeEaten

The Great ZZR Makeover: Pt. 1

Rate this Entry
Well, she's back. After weeks of wrangling, sleepless nights, abuse on here and lots and lots of support and help from some brilliant people, Tox is back in my possession. She looks a bit different to say the least, but I like it. The fairings are repaired but need repainted, but after a lot of thought I'm going to keep her naked. She's going to need a lot of work but I think she'll be a really unique-looking machine when she's finished, and I think a project like this will really improve my knowledge of bikes and how to take them apart and put them back together again

Current list of jobs needed runs like this:

- Sand off and treat the rust that was hidden by the fairing
- Sort out suspension properly
- Buy and fit new clocks
- Reconsider paint job (lots of scratches on the tank, but I like the colours)

More as I think of it, have added photos. Feel free to add advice, thoughts, abuse, or (not so) subtle suggestions that I'm a whore if that's your thing...
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00144.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	411.2 KB 
ID:	188410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00143.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	575.1 KB 
ID:	188411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00141.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	444.5 KB 
ID:	188412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00142.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	407.4 KB 
ID:	188413  

Submit "The Great ZZR Makeover: Pt. 1" to Digg Submit "The Great ZZR Makeover: Pt. 1" to del.icio.us Submit "The Great ZZR Makeover: Pt. 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Great ZZR Makeover: Pt. 1" to Google Submit "The Great ZZR Makeover: Pt. 1" to reddit Submit "The Great ZZR Makeover: Pt. 1" to Facebook

Comments

I actually like the gauges as they are.
    Also, beware of falling into the trap of spending money on this bike. End of the day, remember it's just a 250 learner's bike, and you're gonna want to move on up within a couple of years, and you won't get back money you spend on trinkets (even if at this stage you feel like you'll keep this bike long term, I think you'll be on a different bike within 2 years). If it's stuff you can do with mostly time and effort, like rust removal, sweet as, but don't go spending ca$h, tempting though it is...
    Exception to that is if it's a safety issue, like tires/suspension/etc. Spend whatever is needed to make it safe/safer.
    Just my opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by samgab
    I actually like the gauges as they are.
    Also, beware of falling into the trap of spending money on this bike. End of the day, remember it's just a 250 learner's bike, and you're gonna want to move on up within a couple of years, and you won't get back money you spend on trinkets (even if at this stage you feel like you'll keep this bike long term, I think you'll be on a different bike within 2 years). If it's stuff you can do with mostly time and effort, like rust removal, sweet as, but don't go spending ca$h, tempting though it is...
    Exception to that is if it's a safety issue, like tires/suspension/etc. Spend whatever is needed to make it safe/safer.
    Just my opinion
    I'm not looking to spend $$$$ (as I don't have it), just make the bike better quality overall. She's been put through her paces the last 15 years and needs a bit of TLC to say the least! Rust removal and suspension issues are my two big projects, much as I'd like to really pimp her out....
    My Volty got written off about 6 months after I got her (hit from behind at a stop sign). I bought her back from the insurance company for $250 and rebuilt her with heaps of fantastic help from people on here.

The funny thing is, although I would NEVER have chosen to go through the experience, it turned out to be one of the best things I had ever done.

1) I learned the intimate details of my bike

2) I learned some things about myself (and learned to have confidence in my abilities)

3) I learned how wonderfully helpful people can be - and I learned to trust them when they said they weren't looking for anything in return. They genuinely just wanted to help get me back on the road.

Have fun with the project.