View RSS Feed

klingon's Blog

Another offering to the gods

Rate this Entry
Borrowed a friend's cherished V-Strom for the weekend. Had a marvellous day whizzing around North and West, stopped in Helensville for a cuppa, then down Souf to see The Rider's Mum for another cuppa.

Riding home through Avondale and a young guy opened his car door into us! One minute we're pootling (slowly) along, next minute we're on the ground!

Coincidenally there was a completely unrelated crash at a nearby intersection within moments of ours. The police were called to that one and got another unit to come to our one. Quite a relief because we weren't sure if our guy had given us accurate info and contact details. It turned out he had, but it was reassuring having the police there to document the whole thing.

The Strom has gone from being absolutely immaculate to covered in grazes and scratches all down the right hand side.

The Rider and I are both bruised but really really glad we were wearing proper gear. My right hand was very sore straight after the crash and his hand is quite bruised - hate to think what would have happened if we hadn't been wearing gloves.

Also I somehow must have landed heavily on both elbows. I have bruising around the edge of the armour but my elbows themselves are fine. Right sleeve of jacket shows some minor abrasion which would have been very painful abrasion if it had happened to my skin.

We took out a car on our right on our way down (I think we would have landed more heavily if the car hadn't broken our fall). The Rider seems to have broken their wing mirror with his helmet and they have various other dents and scratches.

Just as well the car was stationary at the time. I ended up sprawled on the road partly under it... could have been very nasty if their rear wheel had gone over my arm.

All in all a minor incident considering how much worse it could have been. Last time The Rider came off a bike was 20 years ago. He's hoping he's paid his dues now for the next 20.

Of course the young guy was not unsured. We'll have to work it all out with our insurance companies and let them try to get it back from him.

sigh.

Annoying end to what had been a lovely day.

Submit "Another offering to the gods" to Digg Submit "Another offering to the gods" to del.icio.us Submit "Another offering to the gods" to StumbleUpon Submit "Another offering to the gods" to Google Submit "Another offering to the gods" to reddit Submit "Another offering to the gods" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized