View RSS Feed

scuzeme

Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#2

Rate this Entry
Well the VMCC Winter Series is about to start and this will be my first full series bar crashing and burning somewhere along the way which is.....always a possibility.
On the subject of crashing on the track I have a relatively small catalogue of crashing to date, consisting of an over run and dumping into the gravel pit at Dunlop corner Manfield on my very first track day (this was because what was on the Speedo seemed a hell of a lot more interesting right up to the point where I ran off the track: Dumb arse) , a low side at turn 2 Taupo (cold tyres right out of the pit area: Dumb arse), a low side turn 1 Manfield followed by a low side on the hairpin at Manfield the very next day resulting in an arm brake (trying to lean it like the 125GP boys: Dumb arse ).
On each of these occasions I was always more worried about how my bike was and the cost to fix it before I even considered if I was still in one piece (its funny the things that go through your head in the time it takes for you to become disconnected from your bike at speed and standing up beside the track with your head hanging lowwwwww).
For me crashing the last few times has been just a basic lack of skill coupled with a complete lack of knowledge in regards to the machine and a few bad habits to boot, but it does seem as though its a little bit of a game of Russian Roulette at times - you take a corner same line same speed as the time before then before you know it your rolling/skidding/sliding across the track either following the trajectory of your bike or being chased by it!
Being a great rider gives you little immunity to crashing, if your pushing harder to get better in order to go faster then your always gunna be riding the razor blade.
Man those low sides and, God forbid, high sides just seem to come from no where at times.
I think it takes a really disciplined rider to develop their skills and gain ascendant knowledge of their machine and how it performs under many track and race day variables to lessen the chances of coming off and getting a slap up side the head by the black stuff.
The racer personality type is that of a risk taker and risk takers sometimes bite off my than they can chew, there will always be crashing just ask the Moto GP riders, these guys are the best in the world with the best equipment and support money can buy.
My hope for the winter series is that you and I crash less while trying to defy the laws of physics, my hope is that when the roulette wheel is given a spin and the marble lands on your number that you walk away from it a little wiser and not too much poorer.
If you’re a racer then you’re also a crasher so get used to it!

Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#2" to Digg Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#2" to del.icio.us Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#2" to Google Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#2" to reddit Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#2" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

What an attitude to start off the season ! It is a long series an even though there is a month break between each round time flys and you're in the Van to track again.
    When you're racing pushing the limits and taking risks, its a matter of when rather than if you crash. However, its what you take away from each one....what caused it and what I need to do to avoid it next time. In the short time you've known me (including the first race meet we met at) I've had a few whoopsies (after a 12 months of incident free riding). Each one I can pinpoint the cause except one... the one where a hot chick on a Ducati was chasing errr... following my lines.
    Stay fit, limit the table top dancing, and try not to hurt yourself and you will have the most fulfilling 6 months on 2 wheels in your life.