View RSS Feed

6ft5's Blog

Looking for that next bike

Rate this Entry
After my accident last year I am finally ready to find out what would suit me as a replacement bike. My Tiger was written off and the money was recovered from the insurance.

So the bike shops have been getting a few visits to cater for my curiosity to checkout brands and models

A few weeks ago I started out with Andrew Templeton to assure that my biking prowess had not been damaged, he had me idling around on a 125cc Honda at the slowest possible speed, with the left hand on the bars only around a car park for an hour in the rain circumventing obstacles without touching them. After some initial bugger-ups I eventually managed to go round and was declared fit.

From there on it was to Motomart and try out a Honda ST1300. It was weird straddling a real bike again but after a few corners the routine came back and it was wonderful to feel the wind on my body (with jacket !!). Went around the Haywards and returned the bike without any hickups. Actually a really boring bike. Goes well, does everything it is meant to do without missing a beat but creates no excitement from my point of view. The sales guy invited me to have a go on a Ducati ST3 (in Yellow) so I jumped at the chance and hopped on. Very quickly howevr this bike turned me off big time. Not sure what it was, perhaps the raw power, the lack of sophistication, in short no go for me.

The weekend following I spotted that TSS in Lower Hutt had traded a Suzuki M109R and I made a time to check it out. After mounting the bike I could feel the excitement building. This bike had guts, character and surprising good handling characteristics. After again going over the Haywards, the tank rapidly emptied and I felt this bike was going to swallow petrol rather than satisfy my need for a level of green fuel economy. So this one, probably not!

A week goes by again and I visit Motorad in Wellington. Brendon has lined up a set of Triumphs to see if he can convince me to stay true to the brand. I start out on a Sprint ST. I take it up the Ngaio Gorge and this nimble sports tourer is really nimble in the twisties bringing me back before I can think of it. A nice ride, with the usual characteristics of a triple but I am not sure about the overall experience. Next is the new Tiger, took the same trip and felt the association of my previous bike as if nothing had changed. But nothing terribly exciting. As a final test, Brendon has lined up a Rocket III. As I merge with the traffic, the energy of this bike explodes with a minor twist of the throttle and I make it to 70kmh without even thinking about it. I take a trip to Porirua to meet a friend and bring the bike back after having consumed half a tank of gas. Again here I had no idea of the fuel inefficiencies these size bikes consume. So perhaps not a good plan.

Yes and time goes on so I went to see Clint at WMC the next weekend. He sold me my previous bike. Clint showed me the latest incarnation of the Suzuki Bandit. It felt great to ride, nimble, quick but uneventful. Then a ride on a Harley Dyna, agony on my part as I couldn't identify with the model or the technology. So no outcomes of use during that visit.

More recently, like today, I caught up with Clint and Pete and was invited to ride a Harley Road King. This bike amazes me. A 300 kg bike, with the amazing handling and comfort, it just blows me away. The specific specimen was 10 years old but felt like it had just come out of the factory. No rattles or shakes. The power from the 1450 cc engine is awesome if you take the time to let it develop, the enjoyment to ride at 110kmh, just fabulous. Oh I also had a go on a Buell Ulysses, not bad but in comparison after having been on a road king, what can you say.

In any case I am now at a point whereby I have seen and been riding various brands and types/models. As soon as I can russle up the funds, I will make a choice and get my butt back onto 2 wheels.

Will keep you posted on what happens

Submit "Looking for that next bike" to Digg Submit "Looking for that next bike" to del.icio.us Submit "Looking for that next bike" to StumbleUpon Submit "Looking for that next bike" to Google Submit "Looking for that next bike" to reddit Submit "Looking for that next bike" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

So here is the latest. Today @5pm I managed to get a deal sorted with WMCC for a Harley Road King. Got on the bike and took it home. Finally back on 2 wheels and freedom at last !!! Will post photo's once I get them sorted in the next few days

Will give a further update of my rides over the weekend.