View RSS Feed

scuzeme

Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#4

Rate this Entry
Pondering the scraps and leftovers of VMCC Winter Series Round 2 Manfield Long Track, I was left feeling somewhat empty and disappointed with my performance.
I find race meets to be an emotional roller coaster for myself and most of my racing acquaintances for instance, do you remember the face of the guy that was faster than you the first time you bested him, do you remember how it felt when someone that was slower than you all of a sudden passes you and pulls away and there’s not a thing you can do to catch them.
I have finished a race feeling dejected riding into the pit area, stationing my bike and then crawling off to a dark corner to sulk, hahaha, and then in the very next race coming into pit lane with a grin wider than my helmet visor and strutting round all fired up dishing out my bragging rights to the vanquished (as humbly as I could of course).

Like most people that compete there is an inherent desire to “do well”, the motivations for wanting to “do well” are as many and varied as the different types of people that take up our sport.
Like I touched on in an earlier Blog we may want to do well prove the size of our gonadual stones haha but I think there are other deeper reasons for why we push ourselves to “do well”.
I think having “balls the size of Texas” is a contributing factor to how well you can do out there but I think that this really doesn’t come into play until the last 5% or even less, and it doesn’t mean a thing if you have the balls to brake later than the other guy and crash out!
Being the analytical always thinker that I am, I refuse to accept that someone is faster than me because they have a higher fear threshold (bigger balls than me) and instead have adopted the analytical view that there must be “other reasons” why they are faster, I think I know some of the reasons, more road/tracktime experience, better fitness, better perception, better equipment and setup or just plain old competitive aggression or maybe they just have a greater motivation to do well for some other reason that we can never understand or fathom.

Hmm back to motivations….my observation lately is that those of a similar skill, posting similar times and dicing closely in the races, generally gravitate towards one another and naturally you get these little cliques (im definitely not using this word in a bad sense), cliques that formulate in every class and around varying lap times.
There is social order in everything we establish and do, it has always been and will always be this way, even the rebels, rogues and loners deep down want to be accepted, want to be part of something and we constantly are looking at improving our place in the pecking order.
So maybe that’s one of my motivations, “to improve my place in the social pecking order” shit I hope im not that shallow….NAH I just wanna impress the girls!

Cheers and see you at round 3

Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#4" to Digg Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#4" to del.icio.us Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#4" to StumbleUpon Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#4" to Google Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#4" to reddit Submit "Confessions of a 40 year old racer No#4" to Facebook

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments