View RSS Feed

Ambling around

Dad does Tokyo

Rate this Entry
My dad was here for a week last week. It was great to see him because every time I go back to NZ I go to Auckland, but I don't always manage to get to Levin where he lives. I have told him a few times that he should come over but he never seemed that interested, until lately when I pointed out that I would only be here a few months more and he might not get another chance.
We spent a few days getting around by bike since I have so many now it would be silly not to make use of them... it was the first time he had ridden in 5-6 years but nothing went wrong - at least not for us. A taxi ran a red light and caused another dude on a bike to crash right in front of us. As luck would have it, I had my helmet-camera running. The first time I use it in over a month, and within 5 minutes there was something worth filming! Usually its the other way around aint it, as soon as you put the camera away a good shot comes along.
We mostly just did a bit of nosying around the city, and a couple of trips out further into the country. The top pic is a police bike from a little town at the bottom of the Miura peninsula, a fishing town for sure. We walked around the town trying to find some lunch, and all there was, I'm talking every shop here, was raw tuna... seems like when they have areas which are famed for a certain type of food here, they really get into it. We did however find a shop that had one option with fried tuna though
Somehow I get the idea that the country police bike is not really intended for chasing down evildoers, as the city police bike is:

Submit "Dad does Tokyo" to Digg Submit "Dad does Tokyo" to del.icio.us Submit "Dad does Tokyo" to StumbleUpon Submit "Dad does Tokyo" to Google Submit "Dad does Tokyo" to reddit Submit "Dad does Tokyo" to Facebook

Comments

Blimey -- good thing the biker didn't pin it from the lights, or he wouldn't be getting up so easily after that. Did they get the taxi (remembering the taxi's bumper stickers, heh!)? Or did he piss off quick-smart?

I'm like to do salmon and whitefish, but tuna always gets me. I can't get my head around tuna being raw lol.
    Yeah, if his buddy on the scooter was not there to get in the way, it could have been quite messy. I didn't even notice the taxi at the time, otherwise I would have followed him, with the camera and all... and wouldn't it have been great if he had one of those stickers eh.
    Salmon is about the only one I can handle raw too.